Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Renewed AWB ?

Re: Renewed AWB ?

The McCarthy styled list of gun owners is removed

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/18...-after-outcry/

That illustration is fairly valid I think. If we are going to talk about homicides why isnt context essential? Why should "gun deaths" somehow be exclusive to that conversation if the ultimate aim of society is to reduce all untimely deaths related to the innappropriate use of some "tool". The very same way we catagorize between hand guns and rifles? The same way we look at gun deaths and attempt to find deaths via "registered" V "unregistered" weapons. The crime is murder in one degree or another...and illustrations like that help in defining the extent so legislation becomes less emotionally charged.
    Another category worth exploring might be murders committed with guns by convicted felons as with the recent Ohio case I mentioned earlier. Perhaps we need stronger follow up by local cops when dangerous people are released back to society after serving convenient truncated sentences due to busy government prosecutors.
    If we expect a legal solution in all this maybe we need to revisit the notion that suggests that a person's likelihood of repeating gun violence isnt hinged on prison overcrowding or the convenience of a busy prosecutor.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    1) That BBC link is from 2005. It's also from doctors, who want to ban everything. It was ignored at the time and ignored since. There are laws in the UK about the age you can buy a knife, and the types you can carry, but that's it. No-one is realistically calling for anything more. Just as no-one in the US whose opinion is actually worth anything is calling for a complete firearms ban, so let's stop flogging that straw man (to mix a couple of metaphors).

2) I thought I'd already explained that the "rise in violent crime" in the UK was down to the way stats are recorded? It's the thing that makes it so hard to compare crimes between countries. As I've already pointed out, if I wave my finger in your face, or tap you on the lapel, during an argument, this under British law is an assault, and therefore a "violent crime". Is this true over there? I'm not sure.

3) Remind me again how many people die from firearms per year in the US and UK? You are probably correct that there's a lot more to this than just availability of firearms, but you certainly can't deny that it's a VERY big factor. Actually, that's not true: you can deny it, and probably will, but that doesn't make it untrue. I should point out that the Swiss no longer keep anywhere near so many firearms at home, and even when they did it was with only very small amounts of ammo, so let's forget that example.

4) As for the "other things kill as well you know" argument: yes, they do. But nowhere near as effectively, in such large numbers, all at once. The same week as one US gun massacre there was a spree stabbing in China. Using a butcher's knife, a man stabbed thirty-odd people. No-one died. I believe the record number of deaths for a spree stabbing is about four people, and about the same for a vehicle. Remind me of the record for firearms again? And remind me how useful cars are again, compared to firearms?
    And yet after all of that, you never told me why that in the US, with ALL of the guns that we have, is the crime rate dropping lower now than it was before. My own personal opinion is that a lot of would be criminals are just sitting around at home now collecting welfare, much like life in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Righto. It's absurd to think that people would simply choose a different means and that'd have to be banned as well.

Doctors' kitchen knives ban call
    Doctors say knives are too pointed
    A&E doctors are calling for a ban on long pointed kitchen knives to reduce deaths from stabbing.

But "gun free zones" like Chicago and DC, now those make perfect sense! Not because they work.. but because it feels good to say it.

Liberals do not want to hear or read anything like that! Knock it off! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Is that a sign of you being one of the often mentioned 'responsible gun owners', I wonder?

Or was it rather a 'me or him'-type of self defense situation? The attack of the sparrows is a scary thing, so you were lucky to have a gun for protection to get you out of that scary situation.

Actually if you want to be a hunter or prepared for the next war or riot or government takeover or personal assault you have to starting honing your skills at an early age. I think 8 or 9 years old is a good time to start. You must be able to get the right sight picture and that smooth trigger pull every time. More importantly you must be comfortable with the hunt and kill.

The sparrows I shot were wanton shameless killers of peaches and apricots they showed no mercy or birdly humanity. They got what they deserved.

Besides that my dad gave me a quarter for everyone I bagged… Big pay for a young kid in those days…

how about we mark off a section of the US as a gun free zone, then give the anti gun crowd the option to live there. surely they would be willing to put their money where their mouth is if they so firmly believe guns are the problem. any takers?

i can see the issues with that scenario in the real world but lets "pretend" for a second that you could move there with out any cost to yourself. what i mean is no loss of a job or salary or anything else associated with your current life. if you could just pick up and move into a gun free zone and keep the status quo of your current life.................would you do it?

so any takers on the gun free "utopia". lol.

We are getting close to that now between red states and blue states. Blue states are turning into gun-free, welfare, and high tax states.
    Brian

But blue states have better education, so I'll take that trade

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Well they are better at churning out mindless "community organizers" by the droves anyway.. I'll givem' that.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    We are getting close to that now between red states and blue states. Blue states are turning into gun-free, welfare, and high tax states.
    You live in WA. It's a blue state. There's no state income tax and lots of people with guns. Must be hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    The McCarthy styled list of gun owners is removed

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/18...-after-outcry/
    LOL McCarthy style list. Good spin.

Since apparently we can equate deaths by guns with death by cars, I wonder how many people would be all up in arms if the newspaper published a list of all of folks with registered drivers licenses in the area.

It amazes me that people are such "proud" gun owners. So proud they don't want anyone to know they own a gun. If my name was on that list I would be stoked....would be like "hell yeah I own a gun and now you know it, so don't even think of trying anything with me."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post

Since apparently we can equate deaths by guns with death by cars, I wonder how many people would be all up in arms if the newspaper published a list of all of folks with registered drivers licenses in the area.

It amazes me that people are such "proud" gun owners. So proud they don't want anyone to know they own a gun. If my name was on that list I would be stoked....would be like "hell yeah I own a gun and now you know it, so don't even think of trying anything with me."
    Lucky stars we don't have to register sex toys, with their make & model.

It's nobodies business. Same with a drivers license or gun license.
    Nuke em'.

How is it spin? Do you not see the similarities?
    If my name was on that list I would be stoked....would be like "hell yeah I own a gun and now you know it, so don't even think of trying anything with me."
    Put an ad in your local paper. Get stoked for only a few bucks. While you're at it, tell your community your out of home work hours.

You live in WA. It's a blue state. There's no state income tax and lots of people with guns. Must be hell.
    Lots of guns on this side of the state, not on the west side. There is no state income tax but believe me, there are plenty of state taxes. The handwriting is on the wall here. The legislature is always looking for ways to raise more cash since we have been running into reserves lately. The state is turning bluer all the time.
    Brian