Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Renewed AWB ?

Re: Renewed AWB ?

Gun crimes are down in the United States but more than half of Americans think the opposite. About one in ten know the truth. Any guesses as to why we're so misinformed?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Gun crimes are down in the United States but more than half of Americans think the opposite. About one in ten know the truth. Any guesses as to why we're so misinformed?
    Murder by firearms was at its highest rate ever in 1993 with about 18,000 deaths. In 2000 there were about 10,000. In 2010 there were about 11,000.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/

It does not surprise me at all that almost all of the drops we see in this 20 year period of interest happened under Clinton's watch

Oh yeah, 25,000 people per year are shot every year....qnd that's just the violent crime shootings.....that doesn't include all of the redneck youtube videos of idiots shooting themselves while cleaning their gun.

^^^ Any guesses as to why we're so misinformed?

You and I both know why Dutch, but I'll be very interested to see how BD explains the anti-gun propaganda coming from the liberal media.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    You and I both know why Dutch, but I'll be very interested to see how BD explains the anti-gun propaganda coming from the liberal media.
    Expect crickets.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Murder by firearms was at its highest rate ever in 1993 with about 18,000 deaths. In 2000 there were about 10,000. In 2010 there were about 11,000.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/...ublic-unaware/

It does not surprise me at all that almost all of the drops we see in this 20 year period of interest happened under Clinton's watch

Oh yeah, 25,000 people per year are shot every year....qnd that's just the violent crime shootings.....that doesn't include all of the redneck youtube videos of idiots shooting themselves while cleaning their gun.
    Gee BD, you are nothing but a librual cricket. How dare you look at data when there is a librual media conspiruacy that wants to take away guns. These guys know the truth because they feel it. How dare you not want to engage!!! I'm enraged at your denial that background checks put forth by a non-partisan panel offered nothing to take guns away, only begin to monitor areas where anyone can get a gun without oversight, be they a criminal, or a mental patient.

Of course, the LA Times is hardly liberal, and along with the GOP sockpuppet of news, Fox, it took them 20 years to publish data that is released annually by that dreaded grubermunt. Yup. those fn librual news sources are to blame.

You know its a conspiracy when gun related deaths haven't gone down over the last 13 years and people get the opinion that gun related deaths haven't gone down. Or since most of the spike 20 years ago was primarily in black neighborhoods due to drug and gang violence. I'm sure Pew worked hard to isolate that segment of society in the opinion poll, right?

And nothing on comparing our country to the rest of the civilized world, you cricket, when it comes to gun related deaths? You should be ashamed of yourself feeding us this dang bull dung.

Whew, I like this rage thang. Feels good to spout off without thinking. Then I can ignore the farce that was the NRA convention where they complained and whined like bitches about the libruals using emotion and eroding democracy with filibuster greater than majority votes while using emotion and filibuster greater than majority votes for what they wanted.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

I have plenty of guesses as to why you are misinformed Dutch, but there is a word limit in these posts.

As to the public? I'm guessing there's a lot of reasons. And I'm guessing I know what you think. "Libbbral media conspeerrrrasssy."

^^^I don't even go to news websites anymore. I come here to get both Fox News and Huffington Post all rolled into one.:P
    ^^^Here, let me help....

Online blueprint for 3D gun violates export law, US says. Too late now.
    A Texas man removed 3-D plastic gun blueprints from his website on Thursday afternoon, after the US State Department said he had violated United States export control laws, but not before the plans had been downloaded across the world.

Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson uploaded design plans for making the world’s first functional 3-D plastic gun, called the “Liberator,” to the group’s website on Monday. Now, policymakers are scrambling to catch up with this new frontier of gun control jurisdiction.

The State Department stepped into the debate Thursday because regulating the export of defense materials and data is a national security issue, a spokesperson told CNN.

In a letter sent to Mr. Wilson, the department’s Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance said he must remove all data and files “from public access immediately” due to restrictions under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

"Defense Distributed may have released ITAR-controlled technical data without the required authorization from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, a violation," Glenn Smith, chief of the enforcement division, said in the letter.

Technical data regulated by the ITAR includes information for the “design, development, production, manufacture, assembly, operation, repair, testing, maintenance or modification of defense articles, including information in the form of blueprints, drawings, photographs, plans, instructions or documentation,” the letter said.
    Last edited by otoc; 05-10-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: clarified
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post

Does it include good guys shooting bad guys?
    Nuke em'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Does it include good guys shooting bad guys?
    Sure, but that number is extremely low. What is higher are people shooting their families and then themselves. Suicide in older men is up and they too have guns, so I wonder where you are going with that thought of breaking down the number.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    Sure, but that number is extremely low. What is higher are people shooting their families and then themselves. Suicide in older men is up and they too have guns, so I wonder where you are going with that thought of breaking down the number.
    We'll never know the amount of shootings that never happened at all though because a "good" guy showed up with a gun to end a bad confrontation. Take guns away from good, law abiding people and we'll definitely find out though.

Department of Homeland Security: Limiting Access to 3D-printed guns is impossible!

I'm a free information guy and a pro-2nd Amendment guy but I feel like with 3D printers and open source gun blueprints, we're barreling towards an uncertain future.

It's kind of exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Department of Homeland Security: Limiting Access to 3D-printed guns is impossible!

I'm a free information guy and a pro-2nd Amendment guy but I feel like with 3D printers and open source gun blueprints, we're barreling towards an uncertain future.

It's kind of exhilarating and terrifying at the same time.
    I suspect the answer will be embedded firmware that checks the cloud for approved blueprints.

We'll never know the amount of shootings that never happened at all though because a "good" guy showed up with a gun to end a bad confrontation. Take guns away from good, law abiding people and we'll definitely find out though.
    I didn't know anyone was taking guns away based on this thread.

I've read John Lott as well as the various analysis of his results. There's still no statistical validity to his conclusions. On the other hand, if we look towards Australia's stats, your premise is disproven.

Then again, we only have to look at our past. Did the Wild West Have More Gun Control Than We Do Today?

You see, I agree with the premise that guns don't kill people, people kill people. The more people who carry guns will offset the point you make. So regardless of the fear tactics the lobbies have brought since Obama came into office, with gun and ammo sales spiking starting in 2009, the death and violence rates haven't gone down. Nor has anyone lost ownership of guns on a statistical basis.