Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PC doesn't power on

Hello guys! I'm having big problems with my PC, the short story is that it doesn't power on. It does power on but it is displaying nothing and there is non beep sound associated with errors. I Disconnect virtually everything: SSD, HDD, GPU, RAM and it doesn't beep not even once. That indicates that it is the power supplie or the motherboard, I did check the power supplie with a clip by "short circuit" green cable and a black one (motherboard connector) and fans started to spin up, but I don't think that matters since already was starting up. Sow now I think it's either the power supplie delivers wrong voltages or the motherboard is broken, if the motherboard is the problem, I am waiting for a friend to see if he has a POST card, but I don't have high hopes. I have to mention that it happened before, but after letting PC to rest for a night it would power on and other times it took more time then usual to reach the typical beep sound and start to windows, also I had some windows crashes with error "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL; ***STOP: 0x000000D1" and it doesn't have not a file associated with it.

Thanks to everyone!

My PC:
    MB: Asus M4A77TD
    CPU: AMD Athlon II 630 X4
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 8500 I think, is not mine, mine is broken sow I am using my friends till I by a new one, it worked without a problem.
    RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
    Power supplie: Nox Urano 2 530w, not a cheap one, it cost me around 45 euros 3 years ago.
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 3.5inch and 2 HDD but I don't thing they matter, Windows is on SSD.

Re: PC doesn't power on

an inexpensive digital multimeter is what you need to check the psu. that can be done on a 4 wire molex (yellow/black)wires.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/guides/testingPSU/

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    an inexpensive digital multimeter is what you need to check the psu. that can be done on a 4 wire molex (yellow/black)wires.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/guides/testingPSU/

ud
    Yes, I'm also waiting for my friend to bring a multimeter, but this won't happen till Wednesday.

Do you have a speaker plugged into the speaker connection for the front panel connectors, if not then you probably won't here a beep !
    I would also try clearing the cmos by removing the power cord, removing the MB battery and moving the jumper to the clear position and pushing the power button a few times then just leave it for a few minutes. After it sits for a few minutes then place the jumper back to the run position, replace the battery and replace the power cord and see if it will post.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

The speaker is plugged in sow there is no problem on this side. On the other side, I did what you said 2 times, one before you said it and after, just to double check, and almost nothing changes, it managed to boot once, got to the desktop, I didn't start any programs, just let it sit there, tried to restart it and... same old same old, no beep, no nothing. At this point I'm starting to think it's motherboard.

One thing that I think should say, I not sure that my motherboard has a clear cmos, but it has a clear RTC RAM, in instructions it says "clear the real time clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS", as I said, I'm not sure it's clear cmos, but I also changed it to clear position, just in case.

Swap out the power supply/motherboard for a known good one if required for boot, another part after those perhaps.

I hope tomorrow I will swap with other component!

One thing that I think should say, I not sure that my motherboard has a clear cmos, but it has a clear RTC RAM, in instructions it says "clear the real time clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS", as I said, I'm not sure it's clear cmos, but I also changed it to clear position, just in case.
    This is the clear cmos. I hope you didn't leave it in this position.When clearing the bios the computer should be unplugged from mains voltage and the jumper moved for a few seconds then returned to the normal position.
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

once I cleared cmos, I moved it back to normal position.

I cleared one more time cmos and removed motherboard battery and it booted just like last time(booted to bios and does nothing on restart), it seems that the only thing that can make my pc boot is clearing cmos and removing mb battery, does this give you some clue of what's wrong?

So you can get into bios? Just not able to boot into OS? If bios battery is ok, one culprit could actually be your SSD. I actually had a system booting using a Vertex 2 also and did run into quite a few problems over time even after updating the firmware (which is something that you should also do). Mess with the boot options in bios and retry. Do you have any other drives attached you could use to boot (could try booting using a CD too or if you have a Windows installation CD/DVD that should at least give you an idea of the culprit...)? My guess is it is actually the SSD causing the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    So you can get into bios? Just not able to boot into OS? If bios battery is ok, one culprit could actually be your SSD. I actually had a system booting using a Vertex 2 also and did run into quite a few problems over time even after updating the firmware (which is something that you should also do). Mess with the boot options in bios and retry. Do you have any other drives attached you could use to boot (could try booting using a CD too or if you have a Windows installation CD/DVD that should at least give you an idea of the culprit...)? My guess is it is actually the SSD causing the problems.
    I disconnected all my hard drives including ssd, and still nothing happened, I would expect some kind of error saying "nothing to load" or something like that but nothing happens, I push the power button, is powering on but nothing more after this stage, I even removed gpu and ram and still not a single error!

P.S.: when I saying error I mean no beep sounds.

I went to a friend other day to try my power supply, I connected it to his PC and it booted fine, without a problem, also I connected his power supply to my PC and the problem persisted. In conclusion, power supply is in good shape. I don't now anyone with POST card so the same day I gave my PC to a professional for repair, now I'm waiting for his call to know what's the problem and how much will cost me. Once I'll know I post it here.

Thank you all for your advices and time dedicated to this post!
    Last edited by nichitapavel; 12-27-2012 at 08:01 AM.

previous post was posted twice so I edited this one!
    Last edited by nichitapavel; 12-27-2012 at 08:03 AM.

I've got my PC back! There were 2 problems, the first is power supplie, it appears it doesn't gives the "Ampere" or voltage necessary to start, I have it right now plugged in with "bad" power supplie and it works, but I do understand that a bad power supplie may damage my entire PC so I'll buy a new one as soon as possible, the other problem was bad connections for CPU and RAM, I do understand RAM problems, but no so much CPU problem because I never really had visible problems with CPU and I always took a lot of care when I was cleaning my case not to damage the CPU, but I don't have the equipment to know for sure so I'll trust professionals.