ah, which video card upgrade

Hi,
    I'm looking to upgrade my video card - ATI HD2600XT for better framerates (somewhat like a miraculous improvement)
    I'm using WinXP (DX9) with an Intel 1.8Ghz core2duo cpu, 2GB of RAM and a 1680x1050 LCD screen.
    I'm using a 475watt psu. I don't have blue-ray.

I was thinking that an expensive video card would not be sensible since my cpu is not all that fast & will only "bottle neck" it.
    And to top it off, most video cards these days are optimized for DX10/11, blue-ray etc... which I am not using.

thanks.

Re: ah, which video card upgrade

With that setup I'd stick until you upgrade the whole rig. But if you have the itch a used 5770 would not hurt ya too horribly and it's DX11 compliant for when you migrate off XP.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

I've been reading on the web but could not have a ballpark idea about which bunch of cards to select from.
    thanks.

So the HD5000 series would suit well for a big upgrade.
    ...the HD5770 is about 100watts and might require a 6-pin cable for power.
    ...the HD5670 is about 60watts and would be installed by simply inserting it into the PCI-E slot.

But between the two your 5770 is ways lot better than the 5670.

(I think HD5770 would be a good choice)

thanks.

I built some gaming rigs for my nephews with them a few x-mas ago? Heck.. might have been last year.. my memory sucks. Anyway, they are running:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 3.0GHz
    4GB ram
    Powercooler 5770
    22" wide LCD's.
    320GB HD
    DVD
    Windows XP Pro 32 bit

They are avid gamers (Skyrim, Fallout NV, Crysis2, Dirt3, etc.) and have been quite happy with the performance and IQ even though they are only able to run DX9 mode due to XP. As for power.. they had previously been on 300 watt PSU's until last year when I upgraded them both well over 600w IIRC. I'd think you would be fine with that 475Watt PSU for the time being as long as it's a fairly decent quality unit with a good 12v rail. They will be down in a few days and I'm upgrading them both to Windows8 Pro 64bit so they are already DX11 ready thanks to early support in the 5770. I think it'd be a solid choice for your system and it still keep pace with a lot of the newest lower end offerings from both NV and AMD. That card has some legs!

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

How about this PowerColor HD7750 ?

It only uses about 50 watts and costs about $100. - good card?

Looks like a good solution for you. It will certainly be a LOT faster than your 2600XT.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    How about this PowerColor HD7750 ?

It only uses about 50 watts and costs about $100. - good card?
    It's a good card.. make a decent upgrade.

-The Gipper

Merry Christmas greetings .