Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

AMD 8350 a decent choice

Windows 8 would mess up and the computer would restart. not find a OS and ask for DVD. Solution was to power down and it would start normally. Then it finally quit.

So instead of blaming Windows 8, I think I have a hardware issue. I am using a SSD so not much to fail there. I am thinking since this happened a few times and it did not really post the MB Splash screen that it's the Mobo. (Gigabyte 990FX UD7), but I have also had a failure like this many moons ago with a CPU. (This one is a FX-4170)

I will eventually trouble shoot everything, but for now I want my main machine Running!

I am going to go with another board (ASRock 990FX Fata1ty), some new hi speed DDR3, and Maybe a AMD 8350 CPU

I guess I do not see what why or how a 8 core CPU can be useful, but I feel a need to be a little modern.

I have a 1090T 6 core that never hurt me, but never warmed my heart either. That is why I have a bit of reluctance to go 8 core and why I went 4 core the last time (Cheaper and faster)

My question seems to be "Why 8 Core ?"

PS Sorry Intel Lovers, I have a Feud with the company and won't buy their product.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Re: AMD 8350 a decent choice

well the 8350 will definitely warm your heart, and your house if you want to take it much above 4.7Gb. I'm not putting it down, my sig should show that, I'm just saying that the 8350 is best served with water cooling and I hope the ASRock MB does well for you.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    So instead of blaming Windows 8, I think I have a hardware issue. I am using a SSD so not much to fail there.
    Just because an SSD has no moving parts, doesn't mean it can't fail. You may be right in going with the mobo, but don't rule out the SSD if the problem still persists.

My question seems to be "Why 8 Core ?"
    Before I address this question, I want to say one thing about your 1090t - while it is a 6 core, it stock speed is pretty average (3.2); turbo was better (3.6), but unless you OC'd you were probably better off with a 960 or 970.

Ok. The 8350 has 8 CPU cores, but each core is paired with another, thus you only get 4 processing "units" or threads. The theory was that (for most people), you would typically need no more than 4 processes running at once; thus, 2 cores processing one thread is faster (and more efficient) than 8 cores waiting for 8 processes.

Bad news: execution wasn't quite as successful as theory. Good news: the new CPUs (including the 8350) have made some good strides in improving their performance. In a comparison between 8350 vs. 1090t, you should see a marked improvement.

Hope this helps.

I posted a much more detailed and well-written post earlier, but it was held up for review since I was new at posting to the forum.

Bottom line: though the 8350 has 8 CPU cores, the cores are paired together in (for lack of a better term) processing units. Thus, you get 4 threads processed at one time.

The 1090T, while it has 6 cores, it runs slower. It's a good CPU, but the 8350 will be a marked improvement:
    8350 vs. 1090T

Hope this helps.

For the same price as an 8350, you should buy an intel 3570 and get a cpu that is superior 99.9% of the time for the same money.

Look at my sig, note NVIDIA Focus Group, that I was an active member of for 8 years. In November I bought an AMD HD7970 to replace a NVIDIA GTX670 because the 7970 was $379 with a $40 rebate and came with 3 new games.

Lesson here? You don't screw yourself over brand loyalty. I used AMD almost exclusively from 486 days to dual core FX days, even bought the $1000 FX chips. (and 3-4 Phenom I and IIs after that)

It gets to a point where you say "What am I supporting? Everyone else gets to use the good CPUs but I'm buying the inferior ones because I want to support a company? Why?".

Some good comments, I don't think it is the SSD as I should still "Post" and get the splash screen for Bios options. As far as a Intel I understand they are faster, but until they apologize to me personally for inflating my local economy (Hillsboro next door could be known as "Intel City" with all the Intel facilities, by far the primary employer) otherwise I would willingly spend more for an even faster machine. I don't like Nvidia either as they bought and then killed Uli, unforgivable! So my machines don't have Intel or Nvidia as primary components, even if they are both cheaper and faster. It may not be rational, but I don't care, as long as I have a choice, I'll not choose them. I understand they have good quality and often superior performance, doesn't matter, I value my reasons more. I should know at the end of the day if it's the Mobo as I picked up the new one last night.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    Some good comments, I don't think it is the SSD as I should still "Post" and get the splash screen for Bios options. As far as a Intel I understand they are faster, but until they apologize to me personally for inflating my local economy (Hillsboro next door could be known as "Intel City" with all the Intel facilities, by far the primary employer) otherwise I would willingly spend more for an even faster machine. I don't like Nvidia either as they bought and then killed Uli, unforgivable! So my machines don't have Intel or Nvidia as primary components, even if they are both cheaper and faster. It may not be rational, but I don't care, as long as I have a choice, I'll not choose them. I understand they have good quality and often superior performance, doesn't matter, I value my reasons more. I should know at the end of the day if it's the Mobo as I picked up the new one last night.
    The funny part is NVidia and intel are NOT cheaper. In any case unless your using the computer for heavily multithreaded games or appz I think the 8 core might be overkill. In fact I would stick with that 1090T and overclock it. If you want an 8 core wait for price drop and hold onto the 1090 for now. As far as NVidia is concerned please. They capped voltages hardwarewise with 6 series, image quality still does not match ati and with recent ati drivers almost every card wins vs NVidia card in same price range. New 7990 spanks both a 690 and Titan in almost every bench, which you can see in Ryans review. BTW Ryan why you conclude that the 7990 is not worth the money? Heck send your engineering sample to me!!! If I had 999$ to spend Id choose it any day over what NVidia has to offer now.

The Win 8.1 upgrade has doubled the performance in Handbrake from an average 175 f/s to an average 375 f/s
    AMD 8350...

I should have posted a follow up to my problems. I did lot's of stuff but eventually it turned out to be a bad power supply for the Samsung 27" monitor. About $20 on Amazon for a new one and all is good the Gigabyte UD7 is Purring away with a 8350 in it for the Warden, she has another 8350 with a MSI 990FX G-80 MB. She has a another of the same MSI board and a 4350. I have a ASRock Fatal1ty board with a 8350 and putting a ASRock Extreme 9 board together with a 9370. I do have three computers with Win 8.1, but my new one will be Win 7 Ult. I find windows 8 very hard to work with and counter-intuitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Rocks View Post
    The Win 8.1 upgrade has doubled the performance in Handbrake from an average 175 f/s to an average 375 f/s
    AMD 8350...
    Say what? Now this is some interesting information here. As someone who uses Handbrake a lot, I could almost see a switch to an 8350 for this reason alone if it was true.
    “Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.”

― George Orwell, 1984

Yes
    And this came with a corresponding increase in heat.
    I got a warning that the processor had reached 65 C...

Hey at least I know there are some video tools out there. I had not heard of handbrake until this thread.

Well I do love my FX 9370 CPU paired with the 7990. It scored well above the "Top Gaming" machines in 3D Mark, but more importantly gives me no grief.

On a second front I used a FX4350 and a 7950 to upgrade the Kitchen computer/ This CPU is the real deal. at 75% the price of a 8350 and offering a 5% increase in stock performance over the 8350 it definitely is the most "Bang for the Buck". The Warden says it is her fastest computer and that was just based on her perception as a user. It has a MSI 990FX G-80, which includes THX on board sound that also works for her.

The 4350 gets maximum stars from me.

Currently in use are FX 4170, 4350, 3 FX 8350's, and the 9370.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

What motherboards are you using with the 8350's?
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Sorry I did not see your post till now. I have a early version of a Gigabyte 990FX UD7, one of the MSI 990FX G-80's, and a very sweet ASUS 990FX Sabertooth R2,0.