Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: AMD 8350 a decent choice

I'm liking my 8350 so far. Running mine at 4.5 Ghz (1.38 vcore). Somewhat faster than my Phenom II X6 at 3.5 Ghz. The only thing that drives my CPU hard is playing Battlefield 4 and the 8350 has no trouble with that.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

I have the 8370 and I love it. I feel like the same thing with the 8350, it will be better than the Intel part in that price range and I wish it wasn't the case but price is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by AGTBK View Post
    I have the 8370 and I love it. I feel like the same thing with the 8350, it will be better than the Intel part in that price range and I wish it wasn't the case but price is so important.
    You're among very few who feel that way. I read yesterday that AMDs market share is down to 5%, for every 100 people buying a CPU, 95 will buy intel.

The reason for this is AMD CPUs just STINK.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/a...-vishera-95w/3

Even a much cheaper intel dual core 4360 is a better cpu to have for gaming.

And they STINK for office apps as well:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/a...-vishera-95w/2

The 4690 (costs $20 more than a 8370) convincingly beats it in most office app benchmarks. A 4590 would be very close to a 4690, cost the same as a 8370, and give it a similar beat down.

There is no logical reason anyone on the planet would buy an AMD CPU, and that is why no one is. What I am posting is not opinion, it is verifiable fact.

Anyone buying an AMD cpu these days is making a conscious choice, "I don't mind getting much less for my money. Who cares about performance?".

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    You're among very few who feel that way. I read yesterday that AMDs market share is down to 5%, for every 100 people buying a CPU, 95 will buy intel.

The reason for this is AMD CPUs just STINK.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/a...-vishera-95w/3

Even a much cheaper intel dual core 4360 is a better cpu to have for gaming.

And they STINK for office apps as well:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8427/a...-vishera-95w/2

The 4690 (costs $20 more than a 8370) convincingly beats it in most office app benchmarks. A 4590 would be very close to a 4690, cost the same as a 8370, and give it a similar beat down.

There is no logical reason anyone on the planet would buy an AMD CPU, and that is why no one is. What I am posting is not opinion, it is verifiable fact.

Anyone buying an AMD cpu these days is making a conscious choice, "I don't mind getting much less for my money. Who cares about performance?".
    Stop trying to Troll AMD threads. If people like their AMD processors, why try to tell them they suck at gaming and other SINGLE-THREADED applications? Run that AMD processor under Linux and watch those apparent differences disappear. Linux Kernel properly supports AMD tech unlike Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by KRDucky View Post
    Stop trying to Troll AMD threads. If people like their AMD processors, why try to tell them they suck at gaming and other SINGLE-THREADED applications?
    The topic of the thread is "AMD 8350 a decent choice". The person I was replying to asserted a 8370 is a good deal because "price matters". (and I showed why when price matters you should buy intel)

Run that AMD processor under Linux and watch those apparent differences disappear. Linux Kernel properly supports AMD tech unlike Windows.
    I'm sure that's a comfort to the less than 3.5% of people who run Linux:

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...10&qpcustomd=0

The 95% of the world running Windows should probably heed my sage advice.

Which most people apparently are:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerkay...-vs-the-squid/

Intel no longer seems to care about maintaining AMD’s market share and has pounded it into the ground in most markets, notably server, where Intel’s unit share hit 98.3% in 3Q14, according to Mercury Research’s PC Processor Report, and 98.5%, according to IDC. In notebooks, Mercury’s 3Q14 figure is 92.9%, while IDC pegs it at 90.3%. Mercury says Intel’s desktop share was 82.7%, while IDC puts it at 81.8%, but those desktop figures are small comfort to AMD, since desktop is the least profitable of the three segments.
    Frankly I'm surprised AMD still has a 17-18% desktop market share, as primitive as their products are.

I read the forbes article and the following comments and the articles they pointed to as well. The article did not say that AMD was a horrible company and that AMD processors are shit as you seem to be implying. An AMD 8xxx series or AMD 78xx series chip IS a good option on Price/Performance.

Plus, the Forbes article implies that Intel is King because it has been breaking Anti-Trust Laws and FTC rules for a Long Long time.
    Last edited by KRDucky; 03-15-2015 at 05:10 PM.

I read the forbes article and the following comments and the articles they pointed to as well. The article did not say that AMD was a horrible company and that AMD processors are shit as you seem to be implying. An AMD 8xxx series or AMD 78xx series chip IS a good option on Price/Performance.

Plus, the Forbes article implies that Intel is King because it has been breaking Anti-Trust Laws and FTC rules for a Long Long time.
    First, how can they be a good option on price/performance when they're getting beaten badly by intel chips that cost less to buy, and cost less to run?

You must mean they're a good option for AMD if buyers choose to ignore all the tech reviews and pay more to get less, and then get MUCH less (if anything) when they want to sell? (after all, if AMD can't sell them NEW, how are users supposed to unload them used?)

A guy that buys a 4690 for $225 can likely sell it in one day for $150 in a year. Try that with 8370.

As far as Anti Trust/FTC goes, are you proposing buyers purchase AMDs inferior goods, and then lose all re-sale on them, to right some wrong intel may or may not have committed? Why?!

So now an Intel guy is trying to sell dual core in a multi-core world
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    So now an Intel guy is trying to sell dual core in a multi-core world
    No, I only noted that for gaming an intel dual core is better than anything AMD because most games aren't heavily threaded.

I was anti multi- core in the first place, as posted in many threads, I see no need for a four core let alone a 8 core device but the tech commies have foisted them on us. I do not like Intel as I live in the midst of the left coast Intel world in Oregon. Not happy with the company or the local Intel driven economy. With me it is personal...I hate them to pieces. It won't do any good and hasn't done any good, but I feel a moral victory when I buy AMD
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I was anti multi- core in the first place, as posted in many threads, I see no need for a four core let alone a 8 core device but the tech commies have foisted them on us. I do not like Intel as I live in the midst of the left coast Intel world in Oregon. Not happy with the company or the local Intel driven economy. With me it is personal...I hate them to pieces. It won't do any good and hasn't done any good, but I feel a moral victory when I buy AMD
    So you dislike intels politics and the fact things cost more in your town because they pay well.

These are reasons for the rest of the world to buy AMD?

I can't think of ANY reason a person would buy AMD these days, based on price/performance/technology.

virtual machines maby....and work stuff

I don't care, see how you like a monopoly

I don't care, see how you like a monopoly
    It's been a monopoly for years, and yet intel keeps selling us fast, cheap CPUs.

I can't think of ANY reason a person would buy AMD these days, based on price/performance/technology.
    For general, everyday usage, AMD is a perfectly acceptable choice. If you have a child that you want to introduce to gaming (though you're not sure they're going to like it), the right APU will get you console-like performance without breaking the bank, and it will be cheaper than an i3/GPU setup. If the child decides they enjoy gaming, you can insert a better GPU later, and ultimately build a better computer a couple years later.

I recently built a computer using the A6 5400K (Dual core 3.6GHz). Based on constant drumbeat of "AMD sucks, Intel rules" I truly expected this was going to be an awful computer - slow, jittery and unpleasant. With the SSD, I was actually impressed with how well it handled. It was responsive and quite capable.

People have gotten so caught up with "AMD can't compete with Intel on the high end" and "synthetic benchmarks prove Intel's better" that they haven't noticed that AMD CPUs (and especially the APUs) can serve a purpose.
    Last edited by btdog; 05-31-2015 at 09:57 AM. Reason: remove extaneous wording