Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2

    Graphic Card Upgrade

    I am interested in upgrading my graphic card and was curious of opinions. I am not an intense gamer and would prefer to stay within then $200-300 range of graphic card. I have a custom built PC and below is my Motherboard, Processor, and Graphic card.

    Motherboard:
    ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

    Graphic Card:
    Nvidia GeForce GTS 250

    Processor
    Intel I-5 Quad core

    I am open to suggestions, but would like to see multi-video output and at least 1g dedicated memory.

    Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

  2. #2
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,734

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    I have a suggestion and that would be a GTX 660 for around $225 or a little higher up the ladder is the gtx 660TI can be had for around 290

    Myself I went with a MSI 660 OC I caught on amazon for 225 planing on runing 2 of these in SLI and from what I am seeing , it is beating a single GTX 680
    check out the review vid on new egg for benchies at the end
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127699

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=-pPAjO0psOM
    Last edited by brothergc; 01-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  3. #3
    Joined
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    Thank you kindly!! I do like this a lot!

  4. #4
    Joined
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    46

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    I highly recommend our GTX 660 GC. I've used it myself and the cooling was impressively quiet and effective. It also has a nice factory OC, and is actually $30 cheaper than MSI's card right now:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162122
    i7 950 @ 3.45GHz / Thermaltake Frio Cooler | Silverstone Raven RV-01 Case | Corsair HX1000W PSU | Corsair 6GB PC3-12800 | Gigabyte X58A-UD3R | WD Caviar Black 500 GB | Galaxy GTX 680 GC 4GB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Twitter: GalaxyUS / Facebook: GalaxyUS

  5. #5
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    phoenix, az
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    msi 660 hawk is a very speedy card for the money
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 01-10-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

  6. #6
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    phoenix, az
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    brothergc


    how ya doing...just wondering what hardware you are now running? i get my taxes back in feb maybe, if the feds don,t screw things up, and might go for motherboard and cpu......i am very critical on how i spend my money now, no $300 cpus or motherboards....i have a nice p67 sabertooth motherboard,,,but heard some negatives going with ivy on it...i also was thinking maybe upgrading one of amd rigs, maybe with fx 8320 or fx 6300 and 990 board
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 01-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,734

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    brothergc


    how ya doing...just wondering what hardware you are now running? i get my taxes back in feb maybe, if the feds don,t screw things up, and might go for motherboard and cpu......i am very critical on how i spend my money now, no $300 cpus or motherboards....i have a nice p67 sabertooth motherboard,,,but heard some negatives going with ivy on it...i also was thinking maybe upgrading one of amd rigs, maybe with fx 8320 or fx 6300 and 990 board
    Geekkyyy:
    I am good ! Sent ya a email , tryed to pm you but your pm box is full .\
    Right Now I am not seeing a lot of good boards out their , I got a asrock z77 OC edition that after 3 months is about to give up the ghost . started with USB ports dying , now bios will only run stable at stock . so I am giving biostar a shot with their BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z77X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m-_-13-138-364
    seems asrock it now outsourcing their boards to a manufacture in China
    I am still running a 3770k but in your case if you already have a good p67 motherboiard might want to consider a 2600k,or even a 2700k sandy is not bad and not much slower then a ivy 3770k as for AMD well I used to luv their stuff but they just can not hold a candle to intel IMO , good buget CPUs though but it all depends on your buget and expectations.
    want the best ? Intel , want to save money ? AMD
    I will be posting on the biostar in the motherboard section so stay tuned !
    I will leave you with this thought had I to do it all over I am glad I went with intel , good cpus , and more important I like their chipsets . finding a Good AMD board ? seems hard LOL
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  8. #8
    Joined
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Auckland
    Age
    35
    Posts
    30,877

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    I haven't upgraded much since the last time 2-3 years ago. Not much in the way of performance increases. Someone tell them to make them faster. Stable enough and faster.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    phoenix, az
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Geekkyyy:
    I am good ! Sent ya a email , tryed to pm you but your pm box is full .\
    Right Now I am not seeing a lot of good boards out their , I got a asrock z77 OC edition that after 3 months is about to give up the ghost . started with USB ports dying , now bios will only run stable at stock . so I am giving biostar a shot with their BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z77X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m-_-13-138-364
    seems asrock it now outsourcing their boards to a manufacture in China
    I am still running a 3770k but in your case if you already have a good p67 motherboiard might want to consider a 2600k,or even a 2700k sandy is not bad and not much slower then a ivy 3770k as for AMD well I used to luv their stuff but they just can not hold a candle to intel IMO , good buget CPUs though but it all depends on your buget and expectations.
    want the best ? Intel , want to save money ? AMD
    I will be posting on the biostar in the motherboard section so stay tuned !
    I will leave you with this thought had I to do it all over I am glad I went with intel , good cpus , and more important I like their chipsets . finding a Good AMD board ? seems hard LOL
    i was reading the review on the biostar board, and generally it got a postivie review, sort of like a good bang for the buck...also stated in the review if you wanted to get the most out of the audio hi-fi, you needed some good speakers,,,which i have....i have one biostar board working on one of my amd rigs, and works perfectly.....lets say,, it just works, nothing fancy, but cheap...i work hard for my money, and want to get the most for the least amount of money,,,i just cannot justify $200+ for 3 x16,s ,,,which i only use one....the 2600 and 2700 are getting premium prices,,,intel has not dropped the prices at all...even flea bay is askng a premium.....might just keep the i5-2400........i am thinking about getting the msi 660 gtx saturday are frys electronics....they get them in the 11th...$229...i did not know that they were faster than the 7870, but not by much.........getting cold here in phoneix saturday,,,down in the 20,s maybe...that is cold for the stickerpatch....yea,,,let us know about that biostar board......interested.....later
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

  10. #10
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    24,188

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    ^^^ IMHO you don't need a 2600 or 2700, an overclocked 2500k~3570k is the sweetspot. I ran a pair of xfiah 7970's on my 2500k rig and the two gpu's could not overburden the cpu. As far as MOBO's I'm a bit outta the loop as I'm still rocking my MSI P67 based setup. Just have not seen any reason to upgrade yet as the P67 platform still provides me with everything I need. This SB setup has been a real good setup for me... I actually made money upgrading to it after I sold off my i7-860 and P55 mobo. That biostar mobo looks to be a solid option. Too bad Fry's does not run mobo/cpu combo deals that are as good as the Microcenter combo's.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  11. #11
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,734

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    for me the reason for going Ivy Bridge is the pcie 3.0 support as I wanted that for 2 SLI , MSI 660s in SLI . I wanted a CPU I could get some miles off of , as I dought I will get rid of it anytime soon . While its true I could have slid by on a 3570k , I just wanted the 3770k . The 3570k is agood choice thouh Geekkky and hopefully the biostar will work out . If it can get me 3.9-4.0 Ghz I will be happy as I am not looking for some massive OC board
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  12. #12
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    24,188

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    IIRC the only place pcie 3.0 makes any notable difference is in using your gpu for computing. But if you are upgrading why not go IB. I'd be really surprised if you cannot get that CPU to 4.3Ghz or better by just bumping the multiplier.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  13. #13
    Joined
    Dec 2002
    Location
    phoenix, az
    Posts
    2,283

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    got me the evga 660 sc yesterday....i am now readyfor pcie 3 when it becomes the norm...the 7870 at frys was $259,,,,,seems like they raised the prices on the 7870? next, going to get me a fx 8320 to upgrade one of my amd rigs
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 01-11-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

  14. #14
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,734

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    got me the evga 660 sc yesterday....i am now readyfor pcie 3 when it becomes the norm...the 7870 at frys was $259,,,,,seems like they raised the prices on the 7870? next, going to get me a fx 8320 to upgrade one of my amd rigs
    time for a ivy bridge LOL!
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  15. #15
    Joined
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: Graphic Card Upgrade

    3770k here on an MSI mATX @ 4.6 chillin with air. GTX 670 in tow! Game on.
    Last edited by Will889; 01-29-2013 at 06:08 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •