Taking Backups/Images and Restoring Advice

Hello,
    Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit , Drives: SSD C: and 2x 1 tb internal drives labelled as D: and E:, and a 4 TB NAS Drive

I am looking to wipe my SSD hard drive with my programmes on and have a load of questions regarding backups and restoring and creating images etc.

1. If I install a piece of software to take an image of my C: won't that software also take an image of itself?
    2. What piece of software (ideally open source- but this is not overly important - is best to take a full image of my hard drive)
    3. Once I have taken an image what is the best way to properly clean and wipe my hard drive as I have been having errors etc.
    4. If I do a fresh Windows 7 install (I have the discs) what is the best way to take a snapshot of the fresh install before I connect to the internet etc. Is there a portable piece of software I can run from a USB stick?
    5. In the future if I want to go back to this place in time i.e. the fresh Windows install image but if the best way to restore it and ensure my hard drive it formatted properly.
    6. For day to day use what is the best way to fully backup a C: so if a disaster happens I can restore the latest operating system etc.
    7. How can I view an old backup without doing a image restore - i.e. take an image of a drive and view in on a NAS drive so I can access one or two files I might have forgotten about.

Sorry if these are dumb questions but I am trying to understand processes for full disaster management solutions.

Hope someone can help guide me.

Cheers

Re: Taking Backups/Images and Restoring Advice

Can a mod move this to the right forum - I think it is in the wrong one....

Depends on which program you use, free version have less options.

Search online and read the info on each program site, here 1 link to a free version...

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/

or go up to the Hard Disk Manager 12 Professional 99.95

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-professional/

Super PI 1.5 8mil 0h 3m 28.815s checksum 8DEFE50D

Any ideas of answers to my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by addict2pc View Post
    1. If I install a piece of software to take an image of my C: won't that software also take an image of itself?
    Yes
    2. What piece of software (ideally open source- but this is not overly important - is best to take a full image of my hard drive)
    How familiar are you with linux ?
    3. Once I have taken an image what is the best way to properly clean and wipe my hard drive as I have been having errors etc.
    Installing windows 7 should properly format and partition with the correct sector size.
    4. If I do a fresh Windows 7 install (I have the discs) what is the best way to take a snapshot of the fresh install before I connect to the internet etc. Is there a portable piece of software I can run from a USB stick?
    The Built in backup should do what you want in this case. Save the "image" to your NAS
    5. In the future if I want to go back to this place in time i.e. the fresh Windows install image but if the best way to restore it and ensure my hard drive it formatted properly.
    Once you image the drive when you re-image it, it will be correct
    6. For day to day use what is the best way to fully backup a C: so if a disaster happens I can restore the latest operating system etc.
    Short of having a "home server" you could back up data to and/or look at online solutions. (crashplan, carbonite, mozy, etc.)
    7. How can I view an old backup without doing a image restore - i.e. take an image of a drive and view in on a NAS drive so I can access one or two files I might have forgotten about.
    That is as simple as using a file explorer.

Matt

Thread moved

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Yes
    This is what I thought.... I ideally want a "clean" image of just Windows 7 and the drivers required so is there a portable app I can do this with running off a USB stick OR running off my D: or E:?
    How familiar are you with linux ?
    It's like a foreign language to me!!! Is there not a piece of Windows based software - I was hoping that one piece of software would present itself but people keep mentioning loads of different ones and the reviews don't seem to help...
    Installing windows 7 should properly format and partition with the correct sector size.
    Cool! :-)
    The Built in backup should do what you want in this case. Save the "image" to your NAS
    Urm... where is this? This might be better than a piece of seperate software?
    Once you image the drive when you re-image it, it will be correct
    Urm... sorry you will have to be nice and go slow.... How do I do this? What exactly am I doing? Do I action this in Windows?
    Short of having a "home server" you could back up data to and/or look at online solutions. (crashplan, carbonite, mozy, etc.)
    Already running Carbonite.... will have to look into this - I'm not sure if it continually updates....
    That is as simple as using a file explorer.
    Again.... SO I would end up with an ISO file? How do I get to view if like folders.... my old PC support guy used to put a file on my hard called Old Files and then it went into Drive C and had ALL the files as they were....

Matt - Thanks for taking the time to answer these... I'm slowly understanding how I will setup my disaster recovery system.... SLOWLY is the key word....

I've found this but think it is a little beyond me... http://clonezilla.org/livehd.php .... I'm concerned about the file lengths might crash it.... Any other ideas...

FWIW, making an image of your current and somewhat funky OS drive will also copy whatever errors it has, so it's of no value for "restoring" onto a clean drive. What you want is a fresh install of Win-7 to eliminate any current issues. Then you want to fully update the OS and drivers prior to installing anything else.

That done, you have the question of what value an old image has. If you want to back up your existing files, you can simply copy them. Windows "backup and restore" also has options for saving settings and personal data.

The free version of Paragon should allow you to access and explore it's image files and restore any file it contains. I'd suggest making an image of the clean OS install with updates, then another of the clean install with all programs installed. I do daily images of the entire OS drive so I have one that's always up to date.

Paragon also offers (not free) the ability to create boot discs or bootable USB drives with the program, which you can use when the Windows OS disc is not booting. This is what you'd use to restore an old image to a clean OS drive.

Thanks rdgrimes - all info is helpful - you can never know too much!

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    FWIW, making an image of your current and somewhat funky OS drive will also copy whatever errors it has, so it's of no value for "restoring" onto a clean drive. What you want is a fresh install of Win-7 to eliminate any current issues. Then you want to fully update the OS and drivers prior to installing anything else.
    :-) I know - I want the current c: backup so I can browse in the future as there are always files I forget about that I want... I remember from last time... as I say my old tech guy used to do a "image" and put a folder on my desktop call old files take I could browse at leisure.... this is what I want to do accept put it on a spare drive.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    The free version of Paragon should allow you to access and explore it's image files and restore any file it contains. I'd suggest making an image of the clean OS install with updates, then another of the clean install with all programs installed. I do daily images of the entire OS drive so I have one that's always up to date.
    I'm not sure about Paragon.... As I say just want a way to browser the files without relying on software to access a backup.

I want away to take a clean image of a FRESH install with just my drivers installed so in future I just restore this image instead of needing to look for all my drivers etc... (weird I know but it's my plan....) Also looking for a guide on HOW I would restore this clean image in the future....

Thanks rdgrimes - all info is helpful - you can never know too much!

:-) I know - I want the current c: backup so I can browse in the future as there are always files I forget about that I want... I remember from last time... as I say my old tech guy used to do a "image" and put a folder on my desktop call old files take I could browse at leisure.... this is what I want to do accept put it on a spare drive.

I'm not sure about Paragon.... As I say just want a way to browser the files without relying on software to access a backup.

I want away to take a clean image of a FRESH install with just my drivers installed so in future I just restore this image instead of needing to look for all my drivers etc... (weird I know but it's my plan....) Also looking for a guide on HOW I would restore this clean image in the future....
    Take a look here, see if this helps explain

http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...up-and-restore