Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: [Console] Xbox Durango

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Seems it's made up lies until something more reliable. CPU clock speed seems too slow than what it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    actually there have been many sources reporting that the next xbox was going to use an amd jaguar cpu for a long time now.
    Yeah, developers have had their hands on debug kits for some time now. Obviously, they're under ten million non-disclosure agreements, but people in the gaming media have been hearing whispers from industry friends about these specs for a while now.

Should just call it xbox 720 and be done with it, not the developer kit. I see no need for any other name right now though I can tolerate it called something else

Should just call it xbox 720 and be done with it, not the developer kit. I see no need for any other name right now though I can tolerate it called something else
    What? You don't like the name Durango? This is 'merica. We name things after trucks!

The prevailing theory I've read from people who know people who know seems to be that the next PlayStation will be called the PlayStation 4 while the next Xbox will be called just "Xbox". Which is kind of awful, but nobody has any good names for anything anymore.

They already did that with the first xbox, you know the one with the green thing on the top and middle of it, black console. It's been used already.

They already did that with the first xbox, you know the one with the green thing on the top and middle of it, black console. It's been used already.
    Microsoft trying to copy Apple. Apple just calls new iPad "the next iPad" and Microsoft thinks they can do the same with Xbox.

Maybe they'll finally help to get PC games with blu ray, better PC games instead of languishing in dvd things.

Last edited by 3dfxrain; 02-13-2013 at 02:22 AM. Reason: pic

lol people still buy retail pc games? blu ray won't do a thing for pc gaming. disc storage has never been an issue for pc gaming as all games are completely installed. pc's haven't really had an issue with the limited storage space the consoles started out with. in fact im willing to be your going to see a major push from microsoft in sony for digital distribution instead of disc based content on the new consoles. heck there already pushing it more on the old consoles.

What bothering me lately is length of games recently. I wanted more content in like missions or things that a player can do in game.

I agree with modru. Besides, Microsoft will want you to rent and buy movies and TV shows from their rental service on the console, not watch Blu-Rays. I suspect they'll do what Nintendo did with the Wii U. The discs will be a Blu-Ray derivative technologically but won't actually be a BD disc and won't play in BD players.

Durango is now "Xbox One".

Here is what has been announced, specs wise:

8-core CPU
    8GB of RAM
    Blu-Ray Drive
    500GB HDD
    Built-in WiFi connection
    HDMI out standard

They didn't say it was same AMD Fusion that the PS4 is using (as was rumored), but it is an AMD x86 8-core processor. Xbox peeps are mad because they are moving away from PowerPC and there won't be support for Xbox 360 games, but I think it is much healthier for all that the two major 'hardcore' consoles are both based on x86 hardware. Probably good for PC gaming in the fact that the cost of porting games (which are all developed for consoles first, unfortunately these days) to the PC will be much cheaper.
    Last edited by Keven; 05-21-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Re: [Console] Xbox One

Also, I wanted to note that when Xbox was having trouble with developers trying to fit games on DVD discs, I said the next Xbox would have a Blu-Ray drive. Everybody said I was crazy (Microsoft was behind HD-DVD! Why would they support BD?) and made me change my mind.

I was convinced at the very least, it would have some BD-derivative technology like the Wii U uses (see post #39). What happens? Specs are announced, and it has a Blu-Ray drive, so I was originally right before the hive mind made me change my mind. Last time I listen to anybody on the internet about anything ever again.

Microsoft can kiss my backside now, they confirmed yesterday and this was also posted on Gamespot, that if you buy a used game for this console you will have to pay a fee to Microsoft after the used game is installed to your XBOX One console to play the game. This is no joke, as a result, I'm going Playstation 4 no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Also, I wanted to note that when Xbox was having trouble with developers trying to fit games on DVD discs, I said the next Xbox would have a Blu-Ray drive. Everybody said I was crazy (Microsoft was behind HD-DVD! Why would they support BD?) and made me change my mind.

I was convinced at the very least, it would have some BD-derivative technology like the Wii U uses (see post #39). What happens? Specs are announced, and it has a Blu-Ray drive, so I was originally right before the hive mind made me change my mind. Last time I listen to anybody on the internet about anything ever again.
    Why would anyone think that they wouldn't use BD now that that format is fully established? They want to be a multimedia hub and having BD playback as well as the disc capacity is a win-win all around.

Anyways, considering that the PS4 and XB1 have pretty much the same underlying hardware architectures, the XB1 seems underwhelming. 12 shader blocks to PS4's 16 give it a pretty steep shader disadvantage, plus a much slower memory architecture gives it a bandwith disadvantage. the SRAM should make up for some of it, but how much? Of course, they're both very tame by PC standards, with a 7970 having almost 3x as many GCN shader units as the XB1. I do think the XB1 has some interesting features on the software side that I'll be interested to see in action.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Both of these stupid "new" consoles will continue to do what they do best. That is, keep graphics technology in games back where the pc was 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    Microsoft can kiss my backside now, they confirmed yesterday and this was also posted on Gamespot, that if you buy a used game for this console you will have to pay a fee to Microsoft after the used game is installed to your XBOX One console to play the game. This is no joke, as a result, I'm going Playstation 4 no questions asked.
    Apparently, you also need to connected periodically just for the "privilege" of playing the games you paid for.

I was already heading towards getting a Playstation 4 (or even 3) as my next console, since the only game I have that isn't also on the playstation is Forza Motorsport (*cough* Gran Turismo *cough*) and there is less overlap in the Playstation and PC libraries.

This is reminding me of Windows 8, except there is not way Microsoft can force it down people's throats.