Razer Mamba software removal results in system unable to boot into Windows!

In 2010 I bought a Razer Mamba mouse. I quite liked it, though I was never able to get it to work reliably when in wireless mode. Sadly, I managed to kill the mouse long before its "natural lifespan" was up - for the first time ever, about a month ago, I spilled a cup of coffee, and....you know the rest. I allowed the mouse to completely dry out (it was black coffee, no cream or sugar) but the mouse remained dead. I am now using my Logitech MX Revolution mouse. Doesn't have the "cool" factor of the Mamba but it works flawlessly as a wireless mouse, is responsive, and I am happy with it.

Long story short, today I wanted to do a long past due system back up and decided that I should check my system for unnecessary utilities, applications etc., prior to the back up. I saw I still had the Razer Mamba software installed so went though the add/remove programs utility in the Control Panel to delete it. For the last step, the system needed to restart...and then it would not boot back into Windows. The Windows Pearl logo formed on the screen, as per usual, but then the boot up stalled and it just sat there. I ended up having to do a start up system repair where it chose a good restore point and I was able to get the system to boot into Windows. The Razer software was of course also restored.

The reason I am blaming the Razer software, other than the fact that it was the ONLY change I made to my system before the system restart failed, is because back when I first got the mouse I experienced a similar problem that MAY be related somehow. I originally installed the mouse with the USB cable plugged directly into a USB port on the computer, but decided to move the cable to my powered USB port to make it more convenient. I did so - and the system would not boot into Windows, again stayed stuck on the Windows start up screen with the Pearl logo. I moved the cable back to the computer port, system started fine, I put the cable back on the hub, same boot up failure, so I just left the cable plugged directly into the computer. (Seems to be an odd problem with Razer mice - found other posts (via a Google search) where people had the opposite problem, system was fine if mouse was plugged into a powered hub, but wouldn't work if plugged into the motherboard USB port.)

So, does anyone know what in the world Razer drivers/software adds to the system configuration files or registry or????? that causes the system to be unable to boot into Windows if the system fails to detect whatever it is that Razer added and told it to detect before loading completely? Can this be fixed?

I am no doubt missing something very simple....

The system OS is Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit; the mother board is an MSI 790FX-GD70, and the CPU is an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE C4.

Holly
    Last edited by OakIris; 01-26-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: added some system specs

Re: Razer Mamba software removal results in system unable to boot into Windows!

No idea what changes it made to the registry but these experiences fuel my dislike for Razer products (and the fact that they want you to create online accounts for drivers, etc.). I have no sure solutions after the fact (reg cleaners are hit/miss) but after your next full OS reinstall, the first things you should install are Revo Uninstaller Pro and ERUNT. A 'Revo Trace' install can track your installations and remove all files and reg entries and ERUNT can be used if changes happen post installation (for e.g. when an app modifies the reg upon first run). Reg backup/restore is easy.

Hope you figure it out.

Thank you for your response. I have no need to reinstall the OS at this time but I will keep your suggestions about installing Revo Uninstaller Pro and ERRUNT in mind.

There are a lot of people who dislike Razer products. Their prices are quite high and the products often have...issues. I probably won't buy another, primarily because I no longer have that kind of money to spend, but also because that was a lot of money to spend for a a mouse that didn't live up to expectations. Remember that although you do read a lot of threads by disappointed and frustrated users, there are still lots of other people that swear by the Razer brand, so some folks have lucked out.

If I get this problem figured out, I will post my findings.

Holly

Can't say what exactly "fixed" the problem, but all is well now. I went into my system's BIOS just to see what I could find. The boot sequence was set up rather strangely. For some reason the first boot device listed was my generic USB card reader - ?? Now the card reader does have a USB port so can be used as a boot device if a flash drive is used in the port, but.......weird. I would have thought that if the system got stuck trying to find the OS because it checked the card reader first I would have gotten an error - OS missing, or boot manager missing, or... Anyway, I did not manually configure the sequence this way, not sure I have ever even used the card reader's USB port, so I don't know why it was this way.

I changed the sequence so the first device was my main hard drive, and then booted up my system, removed the Razer Mamba software, did the required system restart and everything worked just fine.

So, was the problem related to the Mamba software?? Doesn't seem likely - surely it can't change boot sequence and what did the card reader have to do with the mouse or its software? The only connection is that they both used the USB bus. I hadn't changed the boot sequence for months and months and the system booted up just fine, so was it just coincidence that Windows froze for the first time after I deleted the software?

Oh, and I did use CCleaner after confirming that my system was working fine; it didn't find any orphan files from the Razer stuff that I saw.

My, these computers can be tricksy beasts, aren't they? :P If I have another weird problem with Windows loading, I will probably check the boot sequence first before looking into other causes...

Holly