Resolved Alternatives to the Standard Mouse for Carpal Tunnel?

My carpal tunnel has been really bothering me lately and I feel it's time to look for better input options than I currently use. I currently use a high DPI mouse and a Belkin WaveRest Gel mouse pad. I try to turn my wrist outward a bit when using the mouse, to not put direct pressure on the bottom of my wrist.

I have given it some thought and a bit of research, and wanted to turn to some other people for suggestions, experiences and help with improving my situation. I have thought of and researched the following possible solutions:

• Getting a touchscreen monitor and using that instead of the mouse (very expensive)
    • Using a vertical mouse instead of a standard mouse
    • Using something like a Wacom tablet or touchpad for input

I'm hopeful that we will start seeing affordable consumer devices soon that track eye movements and use that as input; this seems like a great solution, at least in theory.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get some suggestions and comments on this topic from others that are perhaps more experiened or knowledgable. Any help is greatly appreciated; thank you!

Re: Alternatives to the Standard Mouse for Carpal Tunnel?

This model looks a bit interesting but I'll wait for the reviews. Personally, I've found trackballs the better solution in everyday situations. I once mounted a Logitech (Trackman?) in a similar 'vertical' position and the result made a major difference. Im thinking of getting another.
    Last edited by ea1985; 01-27-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Re: Alternatives to the Standard Mouse for Carpal Tunnel?

I was thinking a vertical mouse would be my best option; but last night someone showed me the Leap Motion and now I think it may be my best option at the moment, until eye tracking becomes available and affordable. I've been watching the videos and I think the Leap Motion will work out and it's only $70, which is about the price of a vertical mouse also and much lower than a touch screen. I believe my biggest relief will come from taking the pressure off the bottom of my wrist and not bending my wrist inward more than I absolutely have to; I think I would be able to 'stiff wrist' most of my input with the Leap Motion.

I'm still looking for the best option though.