Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed to boot

Failed to boot

I have an XP with SP3 abloard. This morning, the computer failed to boot up correctly (although the initial sections of the boot sequence appeared briefly), and showed the following cryptic message :

"The system could not be restarted from its previous location because the restoration image is corrupt.
    Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu"

I have no idea what this means or how to get the computer to respond either before or after this black screen message. 'Tis a puzzlement. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Failed to boot

Sounds like a "hibernate" problem...

Can we get some system info ?

hey

sounds like you have a store bought/retail pc.

try to enter the bios. there may be a specific key listed on the boot screen to get there. delete, f2, etc. check to see if he clock and time are correct. check if your hard drive is listed and shows up in boot priority.

start there.

ud

To mettin: You’re probably right about a “hibernate” problem, because I used the “hibernate” commed last night. Last thing I did with the computer that day.
    To uddarts Apparently can get to the bios via ‘del’. Clock and time appear to be OK. Will check whether the HD is listed.
    I ran Belarc Advisor to get info on the computer on Jan. 16. Here goes - advise if you need more.

Windows XP Professional + Service Pack 3
    Processor : 1.73 Gh AMD Athlon XP
    128 Kb primary memory cache, 256 Kb secondary memory cache, hot hyperthreaded
    Board : MICRO-STAR International MS-6570
    BIOS : Phoenix 6.00 PG 03/18/03
    Drives : 80.02 Gb HD, 21.21 Gb free WDC WD8000BB-00JKC0
    Optical : Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1P
    Memory modules : 512 Mb

One other thing to note : the computer repeatedly has tried (unsuccessfully) for several months to load Hotfix KB2604110. Haven’t found a way around this, and it’s an important Security Hotfix.

Tell me if this is insufficient info, as I have 8 pages on hand from Belarc.

since hibernate could well be the issue, i'll lay back because it's not a feature i have used and let mm give it a shot.

what forethought to have the belarc info all ready.

ud

note that both “del” and F2 work to bring up BIOS. In BIOS, the following are shown :
    IDE Primary Master : none
    IDE Primary Slave : Lite-On DVDRW LH-20A1P
    IDE Secondary Master : WDC WD8000BB-00JKC0
    IDE Secondary Slave : none
    In passing, one of the lines in the aborted boot was :
    “Trend - chipaway [R] On Guard Virus On Guard Ver. 1.6.4"
    This program supposedly protects against a boot virus before the boot takes place. Heard various positions as to whether to keep it or disable it (from within BIOS). What do you think? I noticed that it doesn’t require me to press F1 to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by papadugg View Post
    To mettin: You’re probably right about a “hibernate” problem, because I used the “hibernate” commed last night. Last thing I did with the computer that day. <chop>
    Ok,

Sounds like you will need to not use hibernate

Please follow these steps & check if the issue persists:

a) Go to Control Panel, Display, ScreenSaver, Power, Monitor.

b) Uncheck “enable Hinbernation” hit Apply and reboot the computer.

What power saving features do you have enabled ?

Also this may help from microsoft..
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4ea1f89?auth=1
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

Hi
    to mmetin : I’ll certainly try this once I get the OS to boot.
    to CMB : Tried to copy and paste but got nowhere because of the incomplete URL.

to CMB : Sorry, didn’t realize I could click the UL on the post. Went to the page, which advises me to download 310353.exe, Guided Help Undo. I can’t use either method because both require that the .exe file be run from the desktop. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article 915092 no longer exists. The Clean Boot method described won’t work either as, again, it must be done from a desktop. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by papadugg View Post
    to CMB : Sorry, didn’t realize I could click the UL on the post. Went to the page, which advises me to download 310353.exe, Guided Help Undo. I can’t use either method because both require that the .exe file be run from the desktop. The Microsoft Knowledge Base article 915092 no longer exists. The Clean Boot method described won’t work either as, again, it must be done from a desktop. Very frustrating.
    So, are you at a c: prompt ?

if you are please try the following command
    del C:\hiberfil.sys

And then reboot

Sorry, no desktop,no C: prompt, no anything. On the edge of having some one rescue data the disk drive, reinstall XP and start over.

Just delete the restoration data at the menu (use the up/down arrows on the keyboard to select, then hit enter) and allow XP to do a fresh boot. This is simple; the PC is having problems restoring the saved session from the hiberfile. Once up and running, disable hibernate.

If you are not able to boot to desktop, then follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Method 2:

Step 1:
    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

If you are able to login to safe mode then I would suggest you to follow step 2:

Step 2:
    Perform clean boot and check if it helps.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    Note: Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps form “Steps to configure Windows to use a Normal startup state “to reset computer as usual.
    You can't boot in safe mode ?
    Last edited by CMB; 01-28-2013 at 01:20 AM.
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

As mentioned earlier, F8 doesn’t work. According to one source, after failing to get into Safe Mode, after turning the machine off and then back on, Windows “notices” that you have tried to boot and brings up a Safe Node screen. This doesn’t work either. And, of course, nothing on the keyboard works, including the arrows. My guess is that the keyboard isn’t even recognized and that includes the F8 key.