Looking to upgrade my current Intel Q6600 CPU..

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in quite awhile. Anyway here's the system I built back around 2007:

Intel Q6600 CPU 2.4GHz (not overclocked)
    Asus P5E3 Deluxe (Flashed to Rampage BIOS)
    4 x 2 GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM
    2 x WD Raptor X hard drives in RAID0
    1 VisionTek ATI 4850 1GB and 1 Sapphire 4850x2 in Tri-Crossfire mode
    Corsair HX620 Power Supply
    Lian Li PC-60 case
    Windows Vista Ultimate

Within the past week or so I've upgraded my video to an ATI MSI R7850 Twin FrozrIII Videocard, upgraded my hard drive to a single Samsung 256GB SSD 840 Pro drive, power supply changed to the Kingwin 600w Fanless PSU, and changed my case to a Fractal R4 Design caSe.

I've been indecisive on whether to upgrade to an Intel I5 3570K, AMD FX-8350, and now I'm throwing the AMD FX-6300 into the mix. I know I have to upgrade the memory and motherboard regardless. I won't be overclocking and this will be mostly a gaming PC. I'm learning towards the FX-6300 and possibly the Crosshair V Formula-Z or Asus Sabertooth motherboard. Is there any alternate motherboard I should go for with all the bells and whistles but without the extra stuff for overclocking? If I got Intel, I was thinking about pairing the I5 3570K with an Asrock Extreme4 motherboard. Any opinions?

Re: Looking to upgrade my current Intel Q6600 CPU..

I upgraded from a Q9550 to an I5-3570k and Asrock Extreme6 mb and g.skill 1600 ram, 16gb

Go with the official "reviews" of the motherboards, not someone's opinion, especially if they have had a hardware failure. Every motherboard manufacturer has good boards, and bad boards, and board that are the best bang for the buck. MSI, Giga, and Asus forums are equally fully of disgruntled customers.....hence, go w/ the technical reviews, not personal reviews.

Welcome to PcPer markdek.
    Nice to see someone literate here.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Depending on the resolution you are driving I would go Intel.

The non K versions of the i5 will beat the pants off AMD right now and if you have a microcenter near they are much cheaper then newegg. So many opinions on boards but ASUS, GIGABYTE, ASROCK, BIOSTAR all have nice boards. MSI too but I never have any luck with them.

The SSD rocks doesn't it?

Good Luck!
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

I would probably lean towards the i5 CPU as well but AMD is still viable. Either option will be a big boost over what you have now though!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by undersea View Post
    Depending on the resolution you are driving I would go Intel.

The non K versions of the i5 will beat the pants off AMD right now and if you have a microcenter near they are much cheaper then newegg. So many opinions on boards but ASUS, GIGABYTE, ASROCK, BIOSTAR all have nice boards. MSI too but I never have any luck with them.

The SSD rocks doesn't it?

Good Luck!
    SSD does rock. Quick boot up time with one drive. Much faster than the old RAID0 I had going with the Raptor X drives. I used to have a Microcenter about a 45 minute drive away from me, but it closed awhile back. There are Fry's electronic stores around here. I've also been looking at those 6 core Xeon processors too although that drives up the price a bit more.

I don't see the advantage to spending more for the Xeon.

I was thinking about going to Micro and getting a 3770k for 189.99 and ASrock extreme 6 for $49.99

Hell of a $240 update from my AMD955.

My problem is for the limited gaming and cruising the internet and listening to music is it worth spending the money, same issue I've had for the last year.
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

6600K@4.2 MSI Z170A GAMING G5- Gskill DDR4 @2400-Creative Soundblaster Z-MyDigitalSSD BPX (240GB)-Plus Various other SSD&HHD-Sapphire RX480-Win10

A whole mess of other computers-Tablets-Tech Toys

I found a place that sells the I7-3770T and received it today. I had to pay a little more for the T, but the TDP on it is 45W so that allows me to run with silent 120mm/140mm case fans.

I just next day ordered the following from Amazon to complete my upgrade:
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard (GA-Z77X-UP4-TH)
    2 x Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

I'm so excited like a little kid with a new toy to put this all to together. Heh. I really wanted to get an AMD CPU as my first couple of computer builds were with AMD cpu, but I just couldn't do it. Not with the power consumption it uses. Maybe next upgrade.
    Last edited by No Limit; 02-05-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Spacing

Congrats! I know that building a new machine is a big day for all enthusiasts. Be sure to let us know how it goes!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I finally have my computer rig upgraded last Wednesday. I've been busy playing Path of Exile and a little bit of Skyrim. At least my system doesn't lag anymore when moving around in Skyrim. I'll be running Seti@Home for awhile and then I might switch over to Folding. Anyway when I swapped out my motherboard from an X48 to X77 chipset, I didn't even have to reinstall Windows Vista. Almost all the drivers were detected when I 1st turned on the machine and I inserted the disc that came with my Gigabyte motherboard to install the rest. I'm thinking about picking up a PCIe soundcard though as I notice the on-board sound is a little bit "bland" when I listen to music. I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I do listen to music/game with Shure SRH840 headphones and I noticed the difference between the separate, dedicated Asus soundcard that came with my old Asus Socket 775 motherboard.