Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3970x cpu

Re: 3970x cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    If you are not going to be needing a high end graphics card than you won't need a 750 watt psu man. Save some bucks because I can tell right now if you didn't find a good 750 you were happy with you'd go higher wattage and you don't need to.

I would maybe depending on how your talking plugins .. increase your memory with the money saved. IMO you can never have enough memory for assisting the OS/programs in processing power- Then again .. with an SSD you may not see much of a difference. But I'd go for more memory and maybe 650 watt psu. Theres a nice one on newegg right now for 120.00 before rebate by FSP thats a good brand.
    Hey Yeah,
    in my experience in audio ork, RAM is great and very critical with sample work. I am not doing anything like that and I've never had an issue pushing the ram on my system. The cpu is where it is at with mix work. And, since I'll be OC'ing, 650 would be cuttin it close.

Re: 3970x cpu

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    If you are not going to be needing a high end graphics card than you won't need a 750 watt psu man. Save some bucks because I can tell right now if you didn't find a good 750 you were happy with you'd go higher wattage and you don't need to.
    You're right that the PSU can go lower than 750W and still be comfortable. I mentioned the 750W because the Corsair 750TX V2 is the first Corsair PSU that has Seasonic as the ODM and is a very well regarded power supply that I've had personal experience with. The Seasonic X Series X650 Gold is as good as they come in the 650W range, which will be plenty of power. Its worth mentioning that the X79 platform is very power hungry, and a little extra headroom never killed any parts.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present