Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Just how dead HAVE the PCPer forums become....?

What if we TLR Bullfrogs actually got together and started a debating forum on our own.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Forums as a means of socialization have declined in popularity everywhere. The big ones still feel big, but medium sized ones have become smaller as smaller forums have entirely evaporated.

I have always attributed it to the rise in other forms of social communication like Facebook as well as some of the novelty having worn off.
    Sometimes I feel like I'm becoming a dinosaur.

I think there is still a place for these forums around in some hobbies there are to many and only the strongest will survive. My 2nd hobby is my fish tank I like cichlids and i'm a member at a cichlid forum which really hasn't taken an impact on users. I think it has such a niche and theres only a few major forums for it that they thrive right now.

I don't know what will happen here though there are so many technology sites and new generation won't look at it unless its through facebook. I don't even have facebook still not sure about it.

i used to be on here a lot, been here 10+ years too

things changed a lot when the economy dropped, i know things here on my end did, plus went through a difficult divorce, many freinds here helped with good and bad support..... well no support is bad, it still helped

i think we will start to grow back

but i do remember when pcper got its roots from amdmb, i cam here because it was amdmb, we were the underdogs, but we soared... we got a taste of being better than the intel guys but they did as expected pass us again... but i dont care....

im still an underdog fan, love my bang for the buck, dont care if i am the best out there or not, but i do ok with what i have and can afford reasonably

this is what pcper lost in the transition...we are back to where we were

NOW WHAT?

Well, I think its a changing of the guards thing so to speak.

Unless I just missed them, nobody that replied to this thread registered later than 2005, and most of the people were from 2001-2003. Facebook and other social media started to really gain ground in 2004. That was 9 years ago (man how time flies).

Kids that are 18-20 or so now probably never used forums for much because that was the old way of doing things. I remember when I was first getting into tech (got my first PC on my 12th Bday in 1996) forums were the only real way to communicate with large groups of other people. You could use IM for smaller groups if you already knew the people, and IRC was an option but i was never much of a fan of it.

If a 12 year old kid these days were to get on the internet, they probably wouldn't even think about going to a forum. There are so many review and how to sites now that they can probably do some goggling to find the answer to the question. Back in the day, you would probably have to get an answer from a person who was more knowledgeable or already had that problem.

Without new blood, anything, even a website is bound to die off. The older members get busy, bored, die, etc etc and nobody replaces them. I first came here in 2003, when it was amdmb.com. I've not been as active over the last few years but I still check in 2-3 times a month (though don't always post anything).

Largely life has gotten in my way. When I first registered here I was a college student. Aside from drinking and women, the only thing I spent my free time on was messing around with my computer. I even wrote code for fun.

Now I have a team of freshly graduated college students under me who are bright eyed and ready to prove something to the world. I'm the old guy giving them orders who's no longer "cool". After a day at the office the last thing I want to do is mess with my computer. I haven't written any code I wasn't paid for since I graduated college in 2006.

Aside from that I'm getting married, buying a house, moving, getting in better shape. Etc etc.

I'd say most people's experience is the same. I suppose the question now is, is there some way we could attract those young bright eye and bushy tailed college kids to the forum?
    Motherboard: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
    HDD2: Western Digital 500GB
    VDD: ECS GeForce GT 520
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt

Some of that is true, but Facebook really didnt start picking up steam until about 2008.

And even alot of currently active forums have alot of 20-somethings online.

There still is alot of use for internet forums. If you need an opinion regarding a future purchase you can find people who can give specific details about it that you may or may not find in a google search.

But FWIW, I've been looking for some other political debating forums, but not having much luck. P&N on anandtech is a bit too crowded for me. very difficult to keep up with and alot of people just don't have a clue as to how to debate.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

I might he wrong, but these forums also don't support tapatalk. A lot of people, myself included tend to do most of their forum browsing on smart phones and tablets. If pcper supported tapatalk that might help keep things more active.
    Motherboard: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
    HDD2: Western Digital 500GB
    VDD: ECS GeForce GT 520
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt

One thing is certain, the zombie forums, preparedness forums and the guns-n-ammo forums have taken off like a rocket ship with activity. It's the most buzzed and crazy part of the internet forums right now. It makes PCP's lightning round look like kids play.

And with the previous poster, yes, people have moved greatly away from desktop computing and even laptops for quick hand-held devices to send blurbs out.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post
    One thing is certain, the zombie forums, preparedness forums and the guns-n-ammo forums have taken off like a rocket ship with activity. It's the most buzzed and crazy part of the internet forums right now. It makes PCP's lightning round look like kids play.
    The whole "prepper" thing I just don't get. People are spending (read wasting) thousands of dollars prepping for a coming doomsday that the chances of happening are so slim it's basically zero, at least in their lifetimes. If they would invest that money or even just save it they would be in a better position in just a few years. As for the kooks who really think zombies are an actual and real possibility? Let's just say that if this country is still in the enviable position of having a populace with the luxury of worrying about things like zombies, it really makes the preppers look foolish!

Thread title is the wrong question to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    The whole "prepper" thing I just don't get. People are spending (read wasting) thousands of dollars prepping for a coming doomsday that the chances of happening are so slim it's basically zero, at least in their lifetimes. If they would invest that money or even just save it they would be in a better position in just a few years. As for the kooks who really think zombies are an actual and real possibility? Let's just say that if this country is still in the enviable position of having a populace with the luxury of worrying about things like zombies, it really makes the preppers look foolish!
    Keeping a few months or so of non-perishables is one thing and not a bad idea because you don't know what is gonna happen. But, yeah preppers is ••••••• stupid. I don't know about you, but I'm not interested in living in some nuclear wasteland or some 1984 totalitarian surveillance society. Just let me die if that's whats gonna happen.

I almost think even Jeremy gave up
    It used to be cool when Jeremy would summarize the latest posts.

All hope is lost for the PCPer Forum

The whole "prepper" thing I just don't get. ... As for the kooks who really think zombies are an actual and real possibility?
    First, understand the term zombie. It is NOT the Hollywood concept that preppers are thinking about. The term is clearly defined in the article: http://www.wnd.com/2013/01/no-joke-z...calypse-coming

Just a few things from the article ...

Let me start by listing some well-known zombie characteristics:

- Zombies have a one track mind and only think about one thing: Consumption.
    - Zombies only take what they want (typically brains). They are not productive members of society.
    - Zombies gather in large hordes that roam the streets, terrorizing hardworking citizens.
    - The zombie virus is highly contagious. Once exposed, it is very difficult (if not impossible) to be cured.
    - Zombies have an insatiable appetite and will stop at nothing to feed their cravings.
    - Once a zombie outbreak occurs, it is incredibly difficult to regain order and normalcy.
    - Zombies don’t make a lot of sense when they speak. They have a severe lack of communication skills.

Introducing: The American zombie virus

Make no mistake about it, there is a “zombie-esque” way of life spreading like wildfire throughout this country. And, unlike make-believe TV zombies, this mentality has devastating consequences on America’s survival and the future of life as we know it.

This “take only and give nothing back” lifestyle is fueled by a never-ending supply of free (to them, not to you) government goodies and perpetuated by spineless politicians who don’t have the guts to stand up for productive members (tax payers) of society and immunize this country-killing infection before it’s too late.

To make the problem worse, the American zombie virus is passed to children. Entire generations of new Americans are being raised to suckle from the ever-generous government teat (welfare and hand-outs). Meanwhile, our self-seeking government officials work hard to ensure that the flow of milk and honey doesn’t run dry by taking excess from those who are already giving more than their fair share.

No, we're not going to die at the hands of a nuke blast nor to be rounded up by black choppers via some surveillance big bro system, but the nation will be consumed from the inside and outside by those who do no pay into our system and only take, take, take. Those takers are the ZOMBIES.

With our FREEDOMS being reduced to nearly nothing, the ZOMBIES will have more control and say over those who pay. The zombie hoard will get ugly when the freebies start running out. Then they will turn from the street corners to your home to fix their cravings.
    Last edited by bmaverick; 03-05-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Quote Originally Posted by bmaverick View Post

No, we're not going to die at the hands of a nuke blast nor to be rounded up by black choppers via some surveillance big bro system, but the nation will be consumed from the inside and outside by those who do no pay into our system and only take, take, take. Those takers are the ZOMBIES.
    It is then that I'll introduce them to my new friend, Mr. Kalishnikov. You say Zombie, I say welfare rat, etc. As for the country dying from the inside out from the entitlement cancer that is quickly growing, I would definitely agree.

As for the country dying from the inside out from the entitlement cancer that is quickly growing, I would definitely agree.
    TLR is leaking again, stop it.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present