The lil engine that could...AMD v Intel

I sure hope AMD has it's Phoenix days ahead of it with the new cores
    coming out. They may not be able to deal with Intel's big dogs, but for
    lower power and price, it looks like AMD is starting to catch it's breath.

I have always used AMD in the past and my old 2008 build with a dual core
    5000 black is still powering up and in fact I'm using it to write this. Lets hope
    good things for the little chip maker that could >

http://beta.fool.com/peterpham8/2013...gyholnk0000001
    AMD (NYSE: AMD) has had possibly one of the roughest couple of years that a company can have and still be functional. Serious underperformance of the last two top-end CPU cores – “Bulldozer” and “Piledriver” – versus Intel’s (NASDAQ: INTC) Sandy Bridge derivatives has seriously degraded market share in the personal computing space due to real-world single-threaded performance among other issues. Only in the low-power, low-cost (and therefore low-margin) business could AMD compete with anything Intel had to offer. Its Brazos E-series APU’s built on the 40nm ‘Bobcat’ core were head and shoulders above anything Intel could muster from its aging Atom line. And it’s there where the hopes of AMD’s resurrection will be placed.

The release of the new ‘Jaguar’ core-based Kabini and Temash SoC’s have the tech community begrudgingly admitting that AMD’s longer game of integrating the CPU with the GPU and focusing on usable performance over raw power may have been the right path to take. Kabini is aimed at a thermal design power (TDP) of 15-25W and the ultrathin notebook markets, while Temash will be offered in the 3-5.9W TPD range and is targeting tablets and hybrid-performance tablet designs like the current Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) Surface Pro, which houses a 17W Intel Core-i5 CPU and HD4000 GPU.

The HD 4000 barely competes in basic functions with AMD’s last-generation VLIW-5 GPU’s, no less the new GCN 2.0 cores that are a part of Kabini, Temash and the upcoming Kaveri. The HD 4600 in all its variants will cut the gap between AMD and Intel, but it will not close it sufficiently, and then AMD will take Kabini/Temash down to the new 20nm process from Global Foundries and simply destroy Intel’s low power offerings on price, wafer density and, most importantly, performance.

Don’t think it’s possible? The latest numbers we’ve seen have a 5.9W quad-core Temash outperforms a 17W Core i-3 Sandy Bridge in Cinebench R11.5, a benchmark usually very favorable to Intel’s single-threaded performance at 1.4GHz for both CPU’s. Temash did this at one-third the power draw with a chip 30% smaller. Frankly, this is close to disruptive chip technology as it is capable of bringing x86 power and compatibility realistically into the range of mobile and ultra-mobile devices like smartphones.

Even more impressive for Temash is its TurboDock ability, which allows a 3.6W tablet, depending on the cooling configuration chosen by the OEM, to open up the TDP envelope and run with fan cooling up to 17W, creating a truly best of both worlds option for the hybrid market. AMD showed off reference designs at the Mobile World Congress from all three major Taiwanese ODMs: Compal, Quanta and Wistron. For the first time in a while AMD is ready with the right product at the right point in time and the OEM/supply chain relationships in place to credibly supply the market.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: The lil engine that could...AMD v Intel

I still use AMD only after all these years. Ever since AMD was in fact faster in Thunderbird/Spitfire days.

They are still best bang for buck. Too many people like to brag about benchmark e wieners. And yes, Vishera series does lose in a lot of benches to an i7 but the i7s are much more expensive. Yes there are some i5s that pretty much cost close to what a vishera costs but still, there are certain benchies where a vishera will match or even outperform, especially in heavy multithreading which will use all 8 cores, while the i5 has to rely on hyperthreading for these apps the vishera has the real cores, well not real but still 2x FPUS per core its better then fake hyperthreading cores.

Where I still really see the value in AMD is in gaming, I think the only game right now that does indeed use up to 8 cores is BF3 with frostbite engine, and if you look at benchies, heck the 200 dollar vishera comes very close to any i7 in that game when benching raw cpu power at low rez. Take into consideration if you benchmark at playing resolutions which are 1080p and above, add all other quality settings in games, and you will see no difference in between a vishera or 1000$ i7 maybe 3 or 4 fps only, due to the fact the video card is what is getting strained at those resolutions and quality settings, god forbid ultra with 4x AA, better have a 7990/690 for that.

So in the end, if you want to spend that money by all means go intel, but if you want to save and your a gamer then I still think AMD is the better choice, heck with the difference in price you could always get better video, SSD, cooling, whatever you can adjust into the budget.

Im still running a Thuban, and have no itch for upgradeitis atm in CPU area. The games I want load in seconds, I don't even put them on the SSD, I install them on RAM drive, hence my 32gb overkill Although I will consider a vishera once prices drop. The 8350s seem to be able to hit around 5 ghz if you know what your doing, I would like to have some fun ocing one, hehe.

GO INTEL GO AMD

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Arggh, darkside has 8 memory slot mobos. Wish amd did