Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Amazing Race vs. Vietnam Veterans

^^^ So who sings what makes a difference in what content is there?

I think you're looking for excuses.

If Bill Maher had sung it we could call it comedy with flair.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I didn't see it but gather from the posts here that the contestants had to sing some kinda commie song. Is that true? If so, there's your answer, unless an opinion deserves to be held to the standards of criminal prosecution.
    Those were your words....I was responding to them really just to get the record straight. It is obvious you don't think there is a significant difference between being forced to sing it and being forced to watch it. Fair enough....I disagree. I can think of several situations where I would be perfectly fine watching people do their crazy as long as I don't have to do the crazy with them.

Or to put it another way...I think that if the show had forced a bunch of Americans to sing a communist propoganda song rather than just watch it, I'd feel differently about it.

I didn't see it but gather from the posts here that the contestants had to sing some kinda commie song. Is that true? If so, there's your answer, unless an opinion deserves to be held to the standards of criminal prosecution.
    I still don't get it. It's a part of their culture. If they're commies and happy to sing about being commies who cares. I don't watch the show so I really don't know what the show is about so I really don't know what the full context of this episode is. Do they regularly travel to different parts of the world and do similar things? IDK, but it sounds like a just a stupid reality TV show, it's not news or even political comedy. And if you need it to validate your views or are offended by it's programming than I feel sorry for you and my best advice is to turn it off if you don't like it.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    And if you need it to validate your views or are offended by it's programming than I feel sorry for you and my best advice is to turn it off if you don't like it.
    Get off your high horse, dude. I've never watched the danged show and said as much in the bit you quoted.

So WTF are you opining about if not to validate your own views?

Gads... a little too much pot, kettle, black, don'tchathink?

Now, if they were listening to the Vienna Boys Choir singing Onward Christian Soldiers, you and BD would be having a kacklefest.

I don't care that the Vietnamese have their little memorials and sing their little songs.

I do blame CBS/the production company who thought it was a good idea to show this stuff.

Would a Japanese reality show make their contestants go to Los Alamos National Laboratory and have fun learning about the Manhattan Project? Would an Israeli reality show make a fun stop at Auschwitz?

What makes me angry is the fact that they seemed to portray little sensitivity to what happened there.

Get off your high horse, dude. I've never watched the danged show and said as much in the bit you quoted.

So WTF are you opining about if not to validate your own views?

Gads... a little too much pot, kettle, black, don'tchathink?

Now, if they were listening to the Vienna Boys Choir singing Onward Christian Soldiers, you and BD would be having a kacklefest.
    The latter part wasnt specifically driected at you (I know I should have pointed that out) but at anyone who is offended by it. And the pot kettle black thingy doesn't work just because I have an opinion. I said, I don't care either way. Having an opinion and articulating it to reinforce your views is hardly the same as expecting a dumbass tv show to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I don't care that the Vietnamese have their little memorials and sing their little songs.

I do blame CBS/the production company who thought it was a good idea to show this stuff.

Would a Japanese reality show make their contestants go to Los Alamos National Laboratory and have fun learning about the Manhattan Project? Would an Israeli reality show make a fun stop at Auschwitz?

What makes me angry is the fact that they seemed to portray little sensitivity to what happened there.
    You're equating The Manhattan Project and a concentration camp to a hunk of scrap metal from a plane that was shot down 40 years ago?

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

You're equating The Manhattan Project and a concentration camp to a hunk of scrap metal from a plane that was shot down 40 years ago?
    How would you feel if your dad had been on that plane?

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    I don't get it. A war that ended 50 years ago is suddenly a topic because a TV show aired the opposing nation's war memorial? Damn glad my dad got over the big one and married a German war bride. To me there is a big difference between putting something behind us and not forgetting.

I figured you would chime in sooner or later.

The idea I get is you were around during that dark era of American history, a period of turmoil, hatred, division. You're right it was 50 years ago and what CBS did was drum up all of the old bad memories of that era. The producers and the big shots at CBS were around during that era and they knew exactly what they were doing. That wanted to kick Vietnam Veterans the balls no last time. It's no big f*cking deal for you because you weren't there doing this countries dirty work. You weren't there to see what the horror of war is really like. It's something that no veteran of war ever forgets, not ever no matter how hard they try to forget.

There was approximately 3 million soldiers, Marines, airmen and sailors that actually touched the soil or served off shore of that stinking shithole they call Vietnam. The last tally I've saw puts the number of in-country Vietnam Veterans still amoung the living at 825,000-850,000. If those numbers are right that means more than full 2/3 are dead. That seems like an unusually high death rate to me.

The way I see it all Americans should be outraged about the glorification of a f*cking brutal communist country. Communism isn't that sparkling utopia filled with sameness, brotherly and abundant prosperity for all so many in the far left think it is. I liken it to a very brutal all controling religious cult. To the true communist anything is justifiable as long as it's for the greater good of communism and the latest communist Christ child. Including but not limited to imprisonment, toture, murder, genocide and the ultimate goal of inslavement of the masses.

So yes it is a big deal.

You mentioned your father married a German. Well a large number of American soldiers married South Vietnamese women. So what's your f*cking point?

As often said during that era "peace brother"

Sucker for punishment, eh?

The latter part wasnt specifically driected at you (I know I should have pointed that out) but at anyone who is offended by it.
    I misunderstood then and the latter part was all that sounded "off" to me. We're cool on this end.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    I figured you would chime in sooner or later.

The idea I get is you were around during that dark era of American history, a period of turmoil, hatred, division. You're right it was 50 years ago and what CBS did was drum up all of the old bad memories of that era.
    Yes I was, I lost a few friends from high school and still can't remember the night Nixon went on TV to say hostilities were ending and my #4 draft spot could be ignored.

"a period of turmoil, hatred, division", hmm. Just like today considering all I did was post an opinion and had to read through this hate filled post. Thanks for fulfilling your own prophesy by your own words.

The producers and the big shots at CBS were around during that era and they knew exactly what they were doing. That wanted to kick Vietnam Veterans the balls no last time.
    Yes, Jerry was around being 65. I guess your opinion doesn't cover the possibility that they thought after 50 years a country that has transitioned from the pure Communism you remember, allowing private entrepreneurial enterprise and a member of the WTO: it simply wasn't in their mind. But I see the apology came quickly and what you continue with below, the rants, the sideline points that apply to any war, the fantasy notion that liberals wish for Communism, the Obama mention, and your current description about Vietnam only show me you are living 50 years ago.

Keep your peace until it isn't offered with such contempt and know I did my part in welcoming back every vet I knew from those days and could tell the difference between someone doing their duty and a domino theory that was flawed. Even then I tended to take a moderate view of things.

It's no big f*cking deal for you because you weren't there doing this countries dirty work. You weren't there to see what the horror of war is really like. It's something that no veteran of war ever forgets, not ever no matter how hard they try to forget.

There was approximately 3 million soldiers, Marines, airmen and sailors that actually touched the soil or served off shore of that stinking shithole they call Vietnam. The last tally I've saw puts the number of in-country Vietnam Veterans still amoung the living at 825,000-850,000. If those numbers are right that means more than full 2/3 are dead. That seems like an unusually high death rate to me.

The way I see it all Americans should be outraged about the glorification of a f*cking brutal communist country. Communism isn't that sparkling utopia filled with sameness, brotherly and abundant prosperity for all so many in the far left think it is. I liken it to a very brutal all controling religious cult. To the true communist anything is justifiable as long as it's for the greater good of communism and the latest communist Christ child. Including but not limited to imprisonment, toture, murder, genocide and the ultimate goal of inslavement of the masses.

So yes it is a big deal.

As often said during that era "peace brother"
    You mentioned your father married a German. Well a large number of American soldiers married South Vietnamese women. So what's your f*cking point?
    You really don't get it, do you. Think those Americans with Vietnamese wives trash the country to the extent you do going off into rants about liberals and the standing President of our nation? Not the ones I know. Not even those from South Vietnam who left when we did. And they were the ones who took the brunt of the North's atrocities of the time.

Then again, some still remember what they went through and will never go back to visit while some do.

Thanks. I get it now. I understand where you are coming from. I mean it sincerely and offer these...

http://topvietnamveterans.org/about.html
    http://www.backtothenam.org/index.html
    George Carlin
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc;4549002

[QUOTE
    Yes I was, I lost a few friends from high school and still can't remember the night Nixon went on TV to say hostilities were ending and my #4 draft spot could be ignored.

"a period of turmoil, hatred, division", hmm. Just like today considering all I did was post an opinion and had to read through this hate filled post. Thanks for fulfilling your own prophesy by your own words.
    Evidently 50 years wasn’t long enough ago for you to forget your draft lottery number. You weren’t sweatin’ it were you. Would you have gone if called?
    I don’t think what I said was particularly hate filled unless the truth bothers you.

Yes, Jerry was around being 65. I guess your opinion doesn't cover the possibility that they thought after 50 years a country that has transitioned from the pure Communism you remember, allowing private entrepreneurial enterprise and a member of the WTO: it simply wasn't in their mind. But I see the apology came quickly and what you continue with below, the rants, the sideline points that apply to any war, the fantasy notion that liberals wish for Communism, the Obama mention, and your current description about Vietnam only show me you are living 50 years ago.

Keep your peace until it isn't offered with such contempt and know I did my part in welcoming back every vet I knew from those days and could tell the difference between someone doing their duty and a domino theory that was flawed. Even then I tended to take a moderate view of things.
    So it’s Jerry to you…

Evidently 50 years wasn’t long enough ago for you to forget your draft lottery number. You weren’t sweatin’ it were you. Would you have gone if called?

If you welcomed backed Vietnam veterans you were one of the few.

Like China the Vietnamese communist government figured out capitalism is the only way they can keep their oppressive government in power. Saying it wasn’t in their mind isn’t the truth. They got exactly the reaction they wanted. They got to take a cheap shot and the publicity is always good for a brain-dead reality TV show.

Nope I’m not living 50 years ago. I didn’t start this argument your CBS comrade Jerry did.

For the record I didn’t start the Vietnam War either your pal LBJ took care of that part.

You really don't get it, do you. Think those Americans with Vietnamese wives trash the country to the extent you do going off into rants about liberals and the standing President of our nation? Not the ones I know. Not even those from South Vietnam who left when we did. And they were the ones who took the brunt of the North's atrocities of the time.
    I didn’t trash the country I trashed communism and those that support communism. I think the veterans with Vietnamese wives trash the communists just the way I did. I think you’re making half of the crap you say up. How many boat people do you actually know?

You’re right I’ll never go back only because I would never give my money to support an oppersive communist government.
    btw... Among other qualities your messiah does an academy award performance of portraying a communist.
    Last edited by tucker; 04-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.