NEED HELP! New system build is crashing!

I just finished a new build (specs below) and had no problem when i first booted up the system. Windows 7, MB drivers and video card drivers all installed with no problems. However, when I plunged in a audio jack for sound in the back of the motherboard the system froze. After a reboot, the lights and fans started right up but no lights on the mouse or keyboard and no display on the screen. I did notice a "55" on the motherboards boot display, but found no help in the manual. I tried rebooting a few times with the same result. Thinking it might have been an overheating problem i took the system apart, double checked the heat sink, thermal compound, and all system wires. Turning on the system again I found the same issue, lights and fans working but no peripherals or display and the same "55" on the motherboard. Finally, after a few tries of unplugging different peripherals and turning the system off and on it booted up and into windows like there had never been a problem. The motherboard boot indicator did not read "55" anymore, but displayed the CPU temp as it suppose to. The system is running between 20-25 C. Everything was going fine until I plunged in a portable HD and the problem started all over. System froze, and now will not boot.

MB: Biostar tz77xe4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (1 stick)
    HD: WD 1Tb black
    GC: EVGA GTX 670 2GB PCI Express 3.0 x16
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V PLUS BRONZE Certified PFC

Re: NEED HELP! New system build is crashing!

hey

i would set the board up outside the case on a non-conductive surface to see if the problem persists. while it's out, make sure the motherboard tray standoffs match all the mounting holes in the board.

ud

Check for bent/broken leads inside the USB ports.
    Also, did you try running everything outside the case as advised above? Sounds like a shorting issue. If not that, then faulty drivers; perform a Windows Update.

Quote Originally Posted by davidmichael99 View Post
    I just finished a new build (specs below) and had no problem when i first booted up the system. Windows 7, MB drivers and video card drivers all installed with no problems. However, when I plunged in a audio jack for sound in the back of the motherboard the system froze. After a reboot, the lights and fans started right up but no lights on the mouse or keyboard and no display on the screen. I did notice a "55" on the motherboards boot display, but found no help in the manual. I tried rebooting a few times with the same result. Thinking it might have been an overheating problem i took the system apart, double checked the heat sink, thermal compound, and all system wires. Turning on the system again I found the same issue, lights and fans working but no peripherals or display and the same "55" on the motherboard. Finally, after a few tries of unplugging different peripherals and turning the system off and on it booted up and into windows like there had never been a problem. The motherboard boot indicator did not read "55" anymore, but displayed the CPU temp as it suppose to. The system is running between 20-25 C. Everything was going fine until I plunged in a portable HD and the problem started all over. System froze, and now will not boot.

MB: Biostar tz77xe4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (1 stick)
    HD: WD 1Tb black

GC: EVGA GTX 670 2GB PCI Express 3.0 x16
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V PLUS BRONZE Certified PFC

Stop every thing your doing and return the mobo. Tell them it is a leaky capacitor as when you first plugged in the audio jack (I`m assuming a standard 3.5mm type) the problem first happened; this suggests it has to be a short initially and once that happens it`s good buy to the hardware. I feel for you man it sucks but if I were you I`d take it back and demand an exchange.

Quick way to see if the MB has toasted itself, is to watch the Kboard or mouse. If either doesn't light up as they should, then the (can't remember which controls which) north or south bridge has shorted. So RMA the mobo.
    Mobo: Asus P5Q SE Plus
    CPU: Intel E8400 Wolfdale
    Mem:Corsair XMS 2x4 Gbs
    HDs:WD 500Gb Sata
    Samsung Spinpoint 500Gb Sata
    WD 1TB sata
    Vid Card: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti 1Gb ram
    Sound: Speedlink 7.1
    DvD/RW: Optiarc
    PSU:650 watts
    Case: Antec PlusView 1000AMG Metallic
    Monitor: Hanns-G 22" HD screen