Frame Rating old 3D cards, how to do it???

For those of you who have no idea who I am, and I imagine that'll be a lot of people; I collect Pre-DirectX9, 3D capable videocards. I've been doing so for a long time, starting with just a simple 3dfx collection (now one of the biggest, most diverse) to also collecting other brand's cards.

From early on I wanted to benchmark the cards I own, and this seemed simple untill I stumbled upon PC Perspective's Frame Rating articles early in the year (darn you guys! ). I was immediately convinced that this was a good way to compare cards in addition to framerates. That's where the problem comes in;

FRAPS is not an option. Not only because I don't want FRAPS to hog system resources, but also because FRAPS _only_ supports DirectX and OpenGL. So 3D videocards that do not support either of those API's can not be tested. Another problem with FRAPS is that it only works in Windows. A bunch of the games I'll be testing on those old cards are DOS games. Besides, I don't know if FRAPS 1.9 has the frame rating tests build in (1.9 is the newest version to support Win98se, which will be the OS on my benchmarking system).

Because I have been asked by other retro-hardware enthousiasts to do some video-capturing to compare image quality between rendering modes and cards, my attention turned towards PC Perspective's way of doing things; use a video-capturing device to record the output of the videocard.

PC Perspective is using high-end hardware with home-made software (If I understood the video in which it is explained correct). Neither are an option for me; I have an AverMedia Game Broadcaster HD and no programming skills to speak of. And I doubt PC Perspective would let me us their software, which probably is specifically written for their high-end capture-card anyway.

So my question is, does anyone know a free or affordable way to do frame rating tests via a video-capturing device?

For those of you curious, some of the old 3D chips I'll be testing; 3DLabs Glint300SX, 3DLabs Permedia, Yamaha YGV612-F, Artist Graphics 3GA, Cirrus Logic Laguna3D, Number Nine Imagine 128 (pro/series II), Number Nine Revolution (3D/IV), Rendition Verite (1000/2000/2100), PowerVR Midas3, PowerVR PCX1, PowerVR PCX2, PowerVR Neon250.
    Collector of 3dfx and pre-directx 9, 3d-capable videocards.

Re: Frame Rating old 3D cards, how to do it???

Welcome to the forums.

"Frame Rating" and "Frames per Second" are 2 separate and distinct things.

Frame rating needs the "specialized software" (nvidia FCAT) and hardware capture card (Datapath card). Running on a second system for recording purposes.

If you are just interested in FPS, there are overlay tools available; though I do not know if they would support win 98.

What would be your ultimate goal ?

My goal is to do frame rating tests* of games on older cards that do not make use of OpenGL or DirectX. I'm talking DOS and Windows9.x games. That's why I want to use a video-capture-card.

*Also FPS testing but that's not the subject of my post.

Is FCAT available for widespread download? Nvidia seems to be hammering home the idea that its "open and available", but I guess thats just to the technical press. The other question is whether or not FCAT would work with older cards, though I expect it would.

I wonder if something like this would work? Its got VGA input, but I don't know what the max input framerate is for analog video. Its hard to find anything inexpensive. For example: This frame grabber device looks promising, but the cost is pretty extreme, likely due to its industrial/medical application focus

EDIT: :facepalm: looks like I linked to the same card you say you have already. If your goal is subjective image-quality comparisons, do you need fancy software or is comparing captured video clips enough?
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 04-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Comparing captured video clips is enough.

My main question is however, how to do frame-rating tests via a capture-card myself (without breaking in to pc perspective's hq and stealing their hard and software )