In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Hmm, Win 8=n00b?

Last job I had last year we got paid to just learn this friggen thing. I thought omg this is the most n00b os ever. MS was supposed to send me a free copy, they never did, so Im still using Win 7, besides I need my start menu.

But Im thinking of buying it cause Im hearing you get 5 to 10% better performance in games. Question is, how long is the trial period? Im going to assume you can get ISOs online like with Win 7. Do I have 30 days to try before buy? Im broke right now.

Re: Hmm, Win 8=n00b?

It also has directx 11.1 so you can cap your games if you have a sandy or ivy or upcoming haswell using the iGPU with no frame hit using Mirillis Action! and intel Quicksync. It's way better than fraps the whole DX is completely redone not only do the games render faster but cleaner and more geometric and less glitchy. On a fast tweaked system it turns your old games into tinker toys. Run these cmds in an elevated console to disable some of the tablet power saving features and run timerresolution.exe at .5ms. The first one just disabled hibernate and the hiberfil.sys off ur hdd. The rest are net tweaks to disable nagling. I was pissed at first about no Aero but then I realized I had way less eyestrain and stress in my head aero causes stress that queeny guy in charge of metro knows his ergonomic shet as much as i hate to say it. I also like metro far more than the start menu cause its faster and easier to access and has larger buttons which is also much less stressful and faster to use instead of running your mouse through that little rat maze of a drop slide menu system. No one likes to hear/see this stuff, but short of EFI and BCD locking you out without access to safemode and menus being further removed like Advanced Mode for disabling driver signing etc etc Win 8 is superior in many other ways too many for me to list here. The kernel is also more multicore enhanced and faster the OS when tuned and used properly and when the apps finally catch up will run more smoothly and seamlessly. I won't use win 7 anymore I'm addicted.

powercfg.exe -h off
    bcdedit /set useplatformclock true
    bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
    netsh int tcp set global ecncapability=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global chimney=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global dca=enabled
    netsh int tcp set global netdma=enabled

sttubs is offline Always learning something

IIRC it is 30 days before you have to activate it. But if you like your start button I don't think you'll like Win 8 then. If Win 7 is running your games the way you want then it wouldn't be worth the hassle of changing it for 5-10%.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

...not to mention that the 5-10% is simply not true.

...not to mention that the 5-10% is simply not true.
    Where did you get the information saying this is untrue?

My guess is you have never used windows 8 but are repeating what the naysayers are preaching.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by richardd43 View Post
    Where did you get the information saying this is untrue? My guess is you have never used windows 8 but are repeating what the naysayers are preaching.
    Unlike you I didn't have to make a guess (and your guess would be wrong, since I actually use Win8 in my main rig), since the information is available in benchmarks all over the net and I also have experience about the subject on my own rigs. I'm sure it is in the best interest of Microsoft to spread a rumor like that, but the reality is that in some games Win7 is actually faster than Win8.

Why would you actually think that Win8 is 5-10% faster in games?

Like you just said.. experience
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Like you just said.. experience
    In which games exactly? Like I said, in my experience, there is no notable difference and from the benchmarks I've done and seen there isn't really a measurable difference either.

In which games exactly?
    I currently have BioShock loaded on W7 and W8.

The W8 machine uses an AMD A-10 CPU and has less transition lag than the W-7 which has an Intel 3770K clocked at 4.2G.

As far as the 10% is concerned I have no way of measuring that and I have no other games to compare but I would rather play Bioshock on W8.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

As far as the 10% is concerned I have no way of measuring that and I have no other games to compare but I would rather play Bioshock on W8.
    Exactly my point. Doesn't this rather make you a yeasayer than me a naysayer?

What is the point of this discussion. For me W8 is faster and less laggy. For all I know it might be 20% faster.

As far as benchmarks go, each computer is different. The only way to make sure is to test both OS's on the same machine playing the same games.

The fact that some of us really like Windows 8 seems to really bother other people. Am not sure why but we are all entitled to run what we want.

My choice is Windows 8.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Windows 8

What is the point of this discussion. For me W8 is faster and less laggy. For all I know it might be 20% faster.

As far as benchmarks go, each computer is different. The only way to make sure is to test both OS's on the same machine playing the same games.

The fact that some of us really like Windows 8 seems to really bother other people. Am not sure why but we are all entitled to run what we want.

My choice is Windows 8.
    What is the point? You probably mean what is your point?

The point of the thread is: Someone - who actually wants to have the start menu - said that he might switch to Win8 because he has heard it is 5-10% faster in games than Win7. I merely pointed out that it isn't so - which is a fact - and if that 'hear-say' is the only reason he wants to switch to Win8, he really shouldn't. You obviously disagree?

And yes, I also use Windows8, but just because I do, doesn't mean that I'm going to recommend it to everyone without prejudice.

I got the 90 day evaluation from MS, used for 2 days and found it to be super n00b. Back on Win 7......

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I got the 90 day evaluation from MS, used for 2 days and found it to be super n00b. Back on Win 7......
    I don't really agree with the 'omg-super-n00b' assertion either. What makes it super n00b? I'm not sure I like the 'metro' interface too much either (which I assume is the source of most complaints with Win8), but the similar interface does work fairly well on phones and likely tablets (+touch screen/motion controlled TV sets) also (I say likely, since I basically haven't used RT systems or tablets too much...), so I can see the point. I'm reasonably sure that in the future, a few generations ahead, it's not only going to be the interface that looks similar on those systems, but they will actually run the same OS across the board... That is, unless Microsoft disappears and everything will come with a Google/Android sticker on it...

You said yourself its great for phones and tablets which I could care less about, im old school and prefer keyboard and mouse.
    The most annoying feature I found on it was the media player and seeing a tile of lil wayne with futile attempts to close the beastly windows I couldn't find a button, also I couldn't make a playlist of songs, and on top of that it had the word xbox on top!! TOTALLY N00B