Cool Trains Can Go In Reverse?

I'm bored and this site could use a wacky off topic thread to get a goofy off the wall conversation started.

So, anyhow... I had to walk past the railyard at my job today and I saw a train actually going in reverse. It looked like it had at least 20 cars attached to it. It didn't go far, just maybe a half block in reverse, and it wasn't going fast at all. Sounds like a big 'DUH,' but I just never thought about it before. I had always imagined that trains only went forward. Kind of neat to see, actually.

So with no further ado, I guess this sets up the conversation for our very own Train thread. YAY!

Last edited by 'K-; 04-18-2013 at 04:00 PM.

Re: Trains Can Go In Reverse?

Yes, they go in reverse. I spent enough time in Train Simulator. Sometimes they even add train engines to the back of trains as brake cars.

LOL! You've never been around a switching yard. "See that train...The midnight train runs both ways" Lyrics from Warren Zevon's "Nighttime In The Switching Yard" http://youtu.be/cJn39Tt8EJo
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

No, they go forwards most of the time like this.

A lot of time I see the passenger trains on the Northeast Corridor running in reverse. The "front" car has a control cab that the driver sits in and controls the locomotive thats pushing the train. Saves them from having to build some kind of balloon loop or go through some complicated switching at the end of the line.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Frank1946 View Post
    LOL! You've never been around a switching yard. "See that train...The midnight train runs both ways" Lyrics from Warren Zevon's "Nighttime In The Switching Yard" http://youtu.be/cJn39Tt8EJo
    Great song, and a great album, and yes, trains do go both ways!! Dirty little choo choos.

There are still no brakes on the 3dfx train.