Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

SSD seems to be underperforming....

Hmm, just jumped on the SSD bandwagon a few months ago. Kind of trying to figure out how to get it performing like it should. Upon first install with Win 7 it seemed ok, was maxing out WEI at 7.9 and HD Tach was scoring around 450ish burst.

I had to format and noticed yeah the WEI score was the same but every time I ran HD Tach it was below 400.

Im giving Win 8 another go right now, just finished setting it up and am running every HDD benchmark I could find. Most of them fall behind the review benchies of this SSD... Only Win 8 WEI seems ok at 8.1 and ATTO bench is scoring like it should, the rest, AS SSD bench, Crystal and HD Tune are all falling short. IOPS are wayyyyyyy too low. Im tinkering around with drivers. At first I thought it was cause device manager was showing standard MS AHCI driver. I installed the amd ahci driver and don't really see a difference. I figured the Marvell driver might help but from what Im reading this mobos marvell driver only controls the eSATA ports.

Is there something Im missing? Maybe NCQ isn't on? Didn't AMD enable NCQ on latest drivers if it sees AHCI on in bios?

See system specs below, in the mean time Im gonna try and get this thing up to par.

Re: SSD seems to be underperforming....

I can tell you this much, the WEI in reality don't mean squat when it comes to gaming or general use of one's system. WEI is just a Microsoft rating of your system.

On Windows 8 if the install routine sees a SATA controller in AHCI such as Intel's for example, it will install in AHCI mode, but uses a file called StorAHCI.SYS for the controller which is faster than MSAHCI.SYS in Windows 7. Plus Windows 8 runs the trim command on a regular basis, which for some reason Windows 7 won't do.

You also have to keep in mind that the 3rd party benchmark programs might not be totally Windows 8 compatible or compliant at this stage of the game, though the publishers have had months to get their programs ready.

I think I figured it out, I disabled marvell controller period in bios and now HD tach just scored around 470ish with amd ahci driver. Just gonna leave it like this Yeah uhh marvell sucks

As long as you're not using the Marvel ports, they won't effect the AMD controller at all. But turning them off does no harm. Most likely you're just seeing normal variation in speed tests, and if you run these tests on a bare drive (no OS on it), you'll see results more like the reviews. Any time you have an OS on the drive you're testing, speeds fall off a lot.

Other than that, just make sure the SSD is aligned as it should be. One other thing I've noticed is that turning off write cache in Windows (on the SSD) might help some of the scores, although the difference is not large.

Yeah I know WEI is n00b but it gives a general idea even for being a basic benchie. I always run it after a clean install. As for marvell its weird, this mobo claims the marvell controller is only for the eSATA ports which I do not use, I guess the 6 regular SATA ports just use the amd southbridge controller, although not all of them are AHCI, I noticed my optical drive in bios said AHCI if plugged into the first 4 ports, and I know that that's a nono, never put AHCI on an optical, I just plugged it into last port 6 and now it just says SATA.

Yeah the SSD is aligned I did the math, and in any case when you format at windows install windows automatically puts the correct alignment. I do see what you mean by bare drive though, if I boot into Linux distro from cd that loads into RAM with no HDD involved like partition magic to do a disk wipe I see the speeds of the SSD close to 500mb/s when writing zeros.

I have an ASUS U3S6 card, which sadly hasn't be made for about 2 years now, and it has a Marvell controller on it for the SATA 6G ports, and it is actually faster if I use the generic MSAHCI driver that is built in to Windows 7 for it, rather than Marvell's drivers. The card also has an NEC USB3 controller on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I have an ASUS U3S6 card, which sadly hasn't be made for about 2 years now, and it has a Marvell controller on it for the SATA 6G ports, and it is actually faster if I use the generic MSAHCI driver that is built in to Windows 7 for it, rather than Marvell's drivers. The card also has an NEC USB3 controller on it.
    Yeah but that Asus card is hardware based controller, most built in mobo marvell cards are software based.

What ASUS did which helps improve things somewhat is put a PLX PCI Express to PCI bridge chip on the card. The Marvell chips are the hardware, what holds most Marvell chips back, is most of the Marvell chips like the 9120, 9123, and 9125 chips for example don't support TRIM and only operate at PCI Express X1 Passthrough speed, which means most Marvell SATA 6G chips can only use 1 PCI Express lane and the TRIM command won't be passed through to the SSD. I learned this about Marvell chips years ago. Out of curiosity I wonder what Marvell chip is on your board, if it's one of the example's I gave, that's your problem right there, as the series of Marvell SATA 6G controllers I mention are first generation SATA 6G. Have no idea what the newer generation of Marvell controllers are like,

If your board had a PLX PCI Express to PCI Bridge chip, I would say give the Marvell controller a go.

For some reason on Windows 8 and the Marvell controller on my U3S6 card and my ATI videocards don't get along, ie there would be a lockup, on Windows 7 however that doesn't appear to be a problem. The problem I mention about Windows 8, the Marvell chip on my U3S6 cards, and the ATI videocards appears to be purely a Windows 8 problem.