Just observations about the whole Boston bombing

Hey, y'all, long time, no see. I dunno what made me think of this forum but I did and I saw the other Boston bombing thread. Being a MA native, living outside of Boston, having many friends in town and working there every day, this was obviously a personal event. I don't really have a political stance or argument to make. I just thought I'd share some of the things that I've thought about and discussed since this event happened.

Just heard what sounded like two large bangs... And tons if police cars. Nothing on the news yet...
    Words of my friend on Facebook who lives in Watertown. She lives right down the street from where the first shootout occurred. I read that when I was getting ready for work on that Friday morning. I quickly found out that I wouldn't be going into work because all public transportation had been closed. My phone got lit up shortly after as just about everyone I know on this planet was texting me to make sure I wasn't in town and that I was ok.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. I was glued to Reddit, a locally streamed police scanner, the news, anything that was covering the event. The suspects names were released and I hit google immediately. I found out one was a wrestler. I found out one had won a scholarship. I found an online petition to have ducks in your backyard in Cambridge that Dzhokhar had signed. It was surreal.

Usually, these villainous characters are something separate from us, someone we have little personal insight into. The authorities have all the information and we are spoon fed by our local news stations. The information we found out about the attackers before any official news outlet had even covered it was nothing short of shocking. I was reading Tamerlan's Amazon wishlist which read like a terrorist manifesto. I saw his YouTube channel full of crazy clerics shouting about the evils as such awful things as Harry Potter.

This was incredibly significant to me. Here, in the information age, we can see anyone, find anyone. Thanks to the petabytes of images taken at the Marathon, it was easy to find more pictures of the attackers, better than the ones even the FBI had issued. Thanks to the internet, we could get a glimpse of the people perpetrating this attack. In a sense it's a bit unnerving. Everything you do is captured somewhere and computers never forget.

I didn't get much of anything done that day. When they finally cornered and caught Dzhokhar, it was a relief I can't possibly describe. To say that it was tense in town the week of the bombing would be an understatement. I work in the financial district and, without even an ounce of exaggeration, there were 2-4 men posted at every city block each outfitted with M4s and bullet proof vests. South Station was riddled with every flavor of police, federal agent and attack dog. I wish I could say that terror didn't win but I'd be lying if I said I didn't tense up when I walked past trash cans and mail boxes, wondering if they contained explosive devices. Friday night, when it was all over, the entire city celebrated and gave a hero's welcome to their local law enforcement (as well as buying pizza for just about every precinct).

Finally, I'll leave you with an incredibly insightful thought about the circumstances of Dzhokhar's capture that my friend had. I'd love to claim it as my own words but, alas, I must quote his instead.

I think it's important to note in all this that shutting down everything, locking down the city, bringing an army into the streets of Boston and coming into every house without a warrant did NOT yield the suspect's capture. It was literally moments AFTER they let people come out of their homes again that the suspect was discovered...and not by cops, but by a civilian who had just regained the freedom to leave his home, which is when he spotted the suspect in his boat in his own backyard. That ultimately lead to the live capture of the suspect, which is fantastic.

I don't mean this to be a criticism of the police tactics and I definitely don't mean it to come off as a police-bashing post, because that's not at all my intention -- they did an incredible job in all this. I'm just saying that this victory was a result of civilians and authorities working together and not the authorities taking total control over everything. There's been a lot of "conspiracy" talk about how this was all a ploy to pass laws that will take away more civil liberties of Americans in the name of national security, but the way this suspect was ultimately captured is really a testament in direct contrast to that idea. He was captured the second people's freedoms were returned to them, not during the time they were taken away.

Re: Just observations about the whole Boston bombing

Welcome back to the crazy house mate. It's always good to hear first hand accounts from people who were there. I'm glad you and yours are ok.

Your friend's words might have gotten around... could swear I read 'em somewhere...

Its cool to see you're alive and kickin'... all the best to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball 2 View Post
    I must quote his instead.
    So, your friend is placebo_overdose from reddit?

That would make a lot of sense. My friend is a mega redditor but I have no idea what his SN is. I wanna ask if that's his reddit account but then most redditors enjoy their anonymity...I'll see if I can muster the courage to ask :-P

I just scanned placebo's posts and I definitely don't think he's my friend. What a douche. I'm totally going to dog him out for plagiarizing