Need help choosing a router.

Normally I can read through all the reviews and come to a conclusion on what to buy. Researching a new router just keeps leading me to dead ends though. It seems on every router made, regardless of price even, there are people who love them or hate them for common reasons. A little background on my current setup and what I'm upgrading to. I have a Motorola DSL modem/router right now. Lately since the extra two Ipads were added the router is being brought to a halt and I'm forced to keep hitting refresh to open web pages. I'm switching to Comcast on Tuesday so I will need to buy a dedicated router. All I have right now is an old Linksys WRT-54G that won't cut it in my situation. Here's a list of what's connecting on my network.

5 PC's, all wireless
    3 smartphones
    1 Xbox 360, wired
    1 PS3, wired
    2 Ipads
    1 Ipod Touch
    1 Kindle Fire HD
    1 Roku box, wireless
    1 Directv HD DVR, wired

I've narrowed down my choices to 3 different routers at various price points. First up is the Asus N66U. It's very well reviewed and would probably work great for me but the price is way out of my budget right now. I'm willing to buy it though to ensure a more reliable network, but I really don't want to spend $150 on a router unless it's necessary. Second is the Asus N56U. It's a full $50 less than the N66U but drops the speeds down to 300mbps over wireless. I hate to buy a new router and be getting slower technology than what is out now, especially at a high $100 price point. My third choice is the TP-Link WDR-4300. It's a 450mbps router like the N66U but at almost half the price at $78.00. The reviews on this router are as mixed as the ones on the N56U, but the thing I like about it is the lower price point and the higher (theoretical) wireless speeds. I'd really like to hear from anyone here that owns this router to see what your experience has been with it.

Now obviously I'm running a LOT of wireless devices on my network and I wonder if the 256mb of ram on the N66U would be worth the extra money to ensure a more reliable network. It's been probably 8 years since I bought a new router and back then I never even thought about ram on them, but then I barely had any wireless devices running on my network then.

Re: Need help choosing a router.

I see that Newegg has a refurbished Asus RT-AC66R for $140 shipped right now. This is actually pretty tempting as I like the idea of having the option of 1.75gbps speed on my wireless PC in the future. It looks like Asus has fixed most of the firmware problems the AC66 had as well...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320157

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

That Linksys router is good, u can probably flash bios to wwrt or tomato. Unless your dsl is faster then its wifi I don't think u really need an upgrade. Try flashing to bios I mentioned its fun.

My problem is not that my internet connection is faster than the 54G speed, I just know that all of those devices are probably going to overwhelm the poor old Linksys. Regardless, I'm going to try it out first and will probably try a custom firmware like the ones you mentioned. At the very least, if I do have to buy a new router I'll have a baseline to compare it to.

I cant even get my Wifi N router working above 45g why would u need more then 54 for wifi? you don't connect hardwire to main rig?

Comcast came today and installed the service. Running straight from my laptop to the modem, I get around 23mbps down. This number stays about the same when I hook up the modem to my WR54GS router and use the ethernet ports. Wireless just plain sucks though. I get no better than 13mbps and that is only 3 feet from the router. This number also stays the same on my pc's in the basement. I've gone through every setting I can think of and Googled all I can to get my old Linksys to run as fast as it can, but nothing has helped. I'm even running DD-WRT in the hopes that might help a bit. So far I'm still thinking either new N router or even Powerline adapters to the pc's in the basement.

Your not getting full speeds hardwired either?

Hardwired through the 10/100 ports I'm not getting a speed loss at all. It's only on the wireless side that I'm losing 10mbps down. I've already switched to an unused channel (that was to cut RX packet loss) and boosted the TX power, but so far it didn't help.

Well, I changed my plans around a bit. Because the AC-1750 routers are still well above $150, and knowing that my main computer in the basement is the one I really needed the speed at the most, I decided to give powerline networking a try there. The results? Awesome! It was as if I ran a Cat 6 cable straight to my main computer from the router upstairs. I now get no loss in speed at all and the response time after I hit the mouse button to load a page is instant.

I bought an Actiontec 500mbps network adapter kit from Best Buy for $40. It was as simple as plugging one adapter in an empty wall socket by the modem/router, and plugging the other one in the basement by my main pc. It took no time to setup at all as both adapters immediately saw each other and I got an excellent connection speed. Now I'm wishing I tried powerline before this! The best part is this frees up enough of the wireless network that I no longer need to bother buying a new N or AC router along with the right adapters. The WRT54GS will easily be able to keep up with the tablets and phones as well as the one pc in the garage that gets little use.

Check out: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

Bruce :-)