View Poll Results: What should I do?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • No worries, don't use the Back-plate.

1 100.00%
  • Stick With Stock Intel Cooler

0 0%
  • Use a different Tower Cooler. (Post suggestions below)

0 0%

Mini-ITX Board and CPU Backplate

Imagine this... Asus P8H77-i Mini-ITX MoBo in a Fractal Node 304 case so the Mobo sits horizontal. Would it be a bad idea to not use the Backplate to a CoolerMaster 212 Evo. The MoBo has chips on the back that get in the way of the Backplate. :/

A little extra info, this machine is used as an ESXi box running a Video Render VM and FreeNAS VM so it doesn't get moved often but for the occasional upgrade and the Dusting.

Thoughts? Alternative Tower Coolers that would work?

Re: Mini-ITX Board and CPU Backplate

I voted for "no backplate" but I misunderstood what you meant. I was thinking motherboard I/O backplate, which would be no issue to run without, but you're talking about the mounting backplate for the HSF? I don't think it'd be smart to not use the CPU backplate, you probably wouldn't be able to get the proper pressure even if you were able to rig some kind of solution. Since you're using an H77 mobo you're not overclocking, in which case the stock CPU cooler should do the job admirably. With those mosfets on the back I think you'll be hard pressed to find any bolt-through HSF's that will work.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Uhh, the "new" backplate is bigger than the existing one ?

I was just looking for a quieter way to cool everything down. The Stock cooler isn't terrible with how the system is being used but the way the air flows through this case a tower solution would work better. Air flow in the bottom of the case is very limited and the air flows from front to back.

The Blackplate I'm talking about is the Cooler Mounting plate like this one http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/up.../Backplate.jpg

I guess for now I'll stick with the stock cooler and see if anyone else has any ideas.