In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Virtual Machines fing pwn!!!!

Screw dual booting I just discovered VMs!!! I had heard a while back Win 8 had integrated HyperV, installed it and found it to be n00b and networking not working for Linux installs.

Virtual Box solved that, its open source and free, have it running right now, this thing pwnz, you can select how much RAM you want to allocate and how many CPU cores, im just putting 2 cores with 4 gigz to mint so it can at least play HD video.

What do you guys use for VM?

Re: Virtual Machines fing pwn!!!!

Ok first issue I have run into, how to I share files between guest and host? I found a guide and see the shared folders in network part of mint. I then go into networking of Windows 8 and I can see my virtual machine listed as a network share but when I click it I cant access it, says cant find device path. Am I missing something? Im trying to get torrent files themselves to windows desktop so I can then add them to the built in transmission bit torrent client gui built into router with tomato shibby firmware, and Im having a hard time. I do all this to circumnavigate the torrent websites themselves which are are worst then pr0n sites and are full of malicious code scripted into their sites and pop up, I keep them in the VM to not worry about it and I want the clean torrent file and stuff I download on my windows drives.
    Last edited by Poci; 05-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.

welcome to the world of vm's. I've been using virtualbox for about 6 years now. great program. so your host is win 8, and you have a mint vm? You will need to make sure samba is installed and permissions are all OK on mint. It can get a bit tricky, (mint / debian based distros are not my fav) but some googleing usually will get your answer. oh, also didn't say if you are just trying to do this between the systems themselves, or are you using the built in folder share within virtualbox?

Yeah a mod at virtualbox forums is trying to help me out. It seems simpler just to do a shared folder then make virtual networking.

I specified a shared folder in virtualbox settings and am now having trouble with that, I don't even see it in the guest.

You still have to go through and mount it in Linux. I will say, a windows vm inside a windows host is like 1000% times easier to setup!

Yeah but windows vms cost money and can get viruses
    Linux is free and very hard to get infected