Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: IRS vs. The Tea Party

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    The link to the letter of resignation from the acting IRS commissioner to his staff that explains he was going to step down early next month, is right there in your own post.
    lol, rolleyes coming from the guy who recently spouted the most vaporous conspiracy story involving ABC?

I happen to read my links. I read the his letter of resignation and have seen many of the same "save face" resignations over my professional career. Sure dutch, the first we heard of his intended resignation is after he was asked for his resignation and he announced it. I also saw the comments from Ace and crew trying to diminish the quick action from this administration for a guy in denial who knew about the actions under him and lied to members of congress checking into it. No matter what, it seems Obama will never do anything right for people like Ace. My opinion-based on reading through those news clippings and comments from his site. Obviously yours, as usual, is non-declared other than believing something at face value. Have a great night.

Edit: I just read something that clarifies the situation, (besides his last day will be next week):
    'Fired' IRS Commissioner Planned to Leave Post in June
    It appeared that President Obama had taken decisive action late Wednesday when he announced that Treasury Secretary Jack Lew had demanded the resignation of acting IRS Commissioner Steven Miller amid the growing scandal over targeting conservative groups. But it turns out that Miller was subject to a term limit that would have forced him out of the job in three weeks.

Miller, a 25-year career IRS employee, was appointed acting commissioner on November 9, 2012. According to the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998, his 210-day term would have set his last day in that post as June 8.

This does not mean that Miller is not paying a price. His intention had been to go back to his job as Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, a position that put him in charge of the tax exempt unit at the center of a scandal over targeting conservative groups.

This statute makes it clear Miller could not remain acting IRS commissioner unless he was proactively reappointed as acting commissioner for another 210 days, or Obama nominated a permanent commissioner allowing Miller to remain in the job until that person was confirmed.

A Treasury Department official points out, however, that under the law Miller would have continued to run the IRS from his deputy commissioner post.
    Last edited by otoc; 05-16-2013 at 07:27 PM.
    Thomas Jefferson to John Page Fairfeilds Dec: 25. 1762.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

More news on this subject if you guys are interested...

Second IRS official resigns after scandal
    WASHINGTON — President Obama said Thursday he is naming a trusted White House budget official, Daniel Werfel, to serve as his new acting IRS commissioner.

The appointment of Werfel comes as a second top IRS official announced Thursday that he is stepping down in the aftermath of revelations that the agency targeted conservative groups for extra scrutiny.

Joseph Grant, commissioner of the agency's tax exempt and government entities division, will retire on June 3, according to an IRS statement. Grant joined the IRS in August 2005 and became the deputy commissioner of the tax exempt division in 2007. He became the second senior IRS official in as many days to offer his resignation.

Grant had only be elevated to the position of commissioner of the division last week -- two days before the agency confirmed the targeting of Tea Party groups and conservative organizations applying for tax exempt status.

Meanwhile, Obama announced that the controller of the White House Office of Management and Budget, Werfel, will move into the job of acting IRS commissioner next week, replacing Steven Miller.

"Throughout his career working in both Democratic and Republican administrations, Danny has proven an effective leader who serves with professionalism, integrity and skill," Obama said in a statement. "The American people deserve to have the utmost confidence and trust in their government, and as we work to get to the bottom of what happened and restore confidence in the IRS, Danny has the experience and management ability necessary to lead the agency at this important time."

Obama announced Wednesday that he'd accepted Miller's resignation, saying the agency needed a change in leadership.

Miller will face questions Friday when he appears before the House Ways and Means Committee, where lawmakers plan to ask him why he didn't inform Congress about the IRS's treatment of Tea Party groups last year -- even under direct questioning.

Committee Chairman Dave Camp, R-Mich., said Thursday "it seems pretty clear that he was aware of this ongoing targeting. And he didn't tell Congress."

And Camp said the inquiries won't stop with Tea Party groups, whose applications for tax-exempt status were delayed simply by virtue of their group name. Camp also wants to know if pro-Israel groups and individual donors to conservative causes were also targeted for invasive questioning and audits.

Werfel, 42, will start the job Wednesday and has agreed to serve in the position through September.

Werfel, who is known around the White House as Danny, will lead the IRS efforts to restore its reputation that has taken a beaten since it was made public that the organization was targeting conservative groups.

He has served in a number of other positions at OMB, including deputy controller, chief of financial integrity and as a policy analyst. He also served during the George W. Bush administration as a member of the Federal Accounting and Standards Advisory Board.

Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, who has known Werfel for more than 15 years, said Werfel has the makeup to help the agency get through a difficult period.

"He is an immensely talented and dedicated public servant who has ably served presidents of both parties. Danny has a strong record of raising his hand for -- and excelling at -- tough management assignments," Lew said in a statement.

Separately, Obama on Thursday dismissed the idea of appointing a special counsel to investigate the IRS scandal. He noted that the Treasury Department's inspector general is expected to recommend an investigation and the Justice Department is conducting a criminal investigation. The Senate Finance Committee is also launching an investigation into the IRS' actions.

"Between those investigations, I think we're going to be able to figure out exactly what happened, who was involved, what went wrong, and we're going to be able to implement steps to fix it," Obama said at a joint news conference with Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
    ... But the old-fellows say we must read to gain knowledge; and gain knowledge to make us happy and be admired. Mere jargon! Is there any such thing as happiness in this world? No: And as for admiration I am sure the man who powders most, parfumes most, embroiders most, and talks most nonsense, is most admired.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    I happen to read my links.
    If that's so, then how in hell were you at a loss for where the information came from?

I read the his letter of resignation and have seen many of the same "save face" resignations over my professional career.
    So he's lying in his letter of resignation according to otoc, who might want to look into rules involving temporary assignments to the IRS, but knows all about resignation letters because he's seen some.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    If that's so, then how in hell were you at a loss for where the information came from?

So he's lying in his letter of resignation according to otoc, who might want to look into rules involving temporary assignments to the IRS, but knows all about resignation letters because he's seen some.
    Dutch, still in the fighting mode and offering nothing to back your words I see. Try looking at my post above because I did edits in plenty of time for you to read before responding with this typical ignorant bulldung you spout. Have a great weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by otoc View Post
    Dutch, still in the fighting mode and offering nothing to back your words I see.
    Not fighting, dude. The answer was in your post and I pointed it out. You say you saw it so I don't get what your all in a kerfuffle about.

Try looking at my post above because I did edits in plenty of time for you to read before responding with this typical ignorant bulldung you spout. Have a great weekend.
    Hey, I didn't look to see if you edited your post. So get nasty, otoc.

Typical bulldung, eh? Well, seeing as you edited your post to include it, maybe you could use a mirror.

Edit: Here's what's funny... you went off on a rail against Ace and the English rag and myself for spouting wrong, untruthful stuff... a big long uber linked post about it and a couple rebuttals... but when ABC says the exact same thing... its suddenly true.

That's rolleyes approved right there.
    Last edited by Dutchcedar; 05-16-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Actually he's the perfect person for the job Dutch. The last "Service" he worked for oversaw billions of dollars getting into the hands of illegal aliens fraudulently, and now he can make sure the same illegals get billions in free health care too! America...what a country!

The Republicans have met the enemy, and it is them.

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dru...me-republicans

^^^probably belongs in the Benghazi thread

But it needs to be quoted:

It's not as if we didn't know this already, but today Major Garrett made it official: last week's leaks that misquoted the Benghazi emails came directly from Republicans. Here's the report on the CBS Evening News:

On Friday, Republicans leaked what they said was a quote from Rhodes: "We must make sure that the talking points reflect all agency equities, including those of the State Department, and we don't want to undermine the FBI investigation. But it turns out that in the actual email, Rhodes did not mention the State Department.

....Republicans also provided what they said was a quote from an email written by State Department spokesman Victoria Nuland. The Republican version quotes Nuland discussing, "The penultimate point is a paragraph talking about all the previous warnings provided by the Agency (CIA) about al-Qaeda's presence and activities of al-Qaeda." The actual email from Nuland says: "The penultimate point could be abused by members to beat the State Department for not paying attention to Agency warnings."

The CIA agreed with the concerns raised by the State Department and revised the talking points to make them less specific than the CIA's original version, eliminating references to al Qaeda and affiliates and earlier security warnings. There is no evidence that the White House orchestrated the changes.

So here's what happened. Republicans in Congress saw copies of these emails two months ago and did nothing with them. It was obvious that they showed little more than routine interagency haggling. Then, riding high after last week's Benghazi hearings, someone got the bright idea of leaking two isolated tidbits and mischaracterizing them in an effort to make the State Department look bad. Apparently they figured it was a twofer: they could stick a shiv into the belly of the White House and they could then badger them to release the entire email chain, knowing they never would.

But it was typical GOP overreach. To their surprise, the White House took Republicans up on their demand to make the entire email chain public, thus making it clear to the press that they had been burned. And now reporters are letting us all know who was behind it.

This has always been the Republican Party's biggest risk with this stuff: that they don't know when to quit. On Benghazi, when it became obvious that they didn't have a smoking gun, they got desperate and tried to invent one. On the IRS, their problem is that Democrats are as outraged as they are. This will force them to make ever more outrageous accusations in an effort to find some way to draw a contrast. And on the AP phone records, they have to continually dance around the fact that they basically approve of subpoenas like this.

A sane party would take a deep breath and decide to move on to other things. But the tea partiers have the scent of blood now, and it's driving them crazy. Thus the spectacle of Michele Bachmann suggesting today that it's time to start impeachment proceedings.

The GOP's adults can't keep their lunatic fringe on a leash, which means it's only a matter of time until they make fools of themselves on all three of the pseudoscandals that are currently lighting up the airwaves. The Republicans have met the enemy, and it is them.

Expect stories like this to start popping up all over the place:

Joe Scarborough’s IRS hypocrisy

The MSNBC host is outraged about the Tea Party's treatment, but sought to "yank" NAACP's tax-exempt status in 2003

This week, MSNBC host Joe Scarborough joined the chorus of those decrying the IRS for targeting Tea Party groups for extra scrutiny in applying for nonprofit status. “You can’t allow the government to tread on political speech,” Scarborough said. “The Internal Revenue Service — the taxman — to go after their political beliefs. … I can’t imagine much worse than this,” he added.

Targeting nonprofit groups because of their political beliefs is wrong — pretty much everyone agrees on that. So today’s Scarborough must be outraged by his 2003 self, which gave this monologue on his show “Scarborough Country” on July 13, 2003:

The leader of the NAACP bashes President Bush and the Republican Party. Why is this clearly partisan group still being funded by your tax dollars? [...]

[T]he NAACP continues to get a free ride off of taxpayers because of the tax-exempt status that’s conferred to them by our federal government, now, this despite the fact the NAACP produced and ran the most vicious campaign attack ad in the history of televised presidential campaign. [...]

As Americans, NAACP members are free to speak their mind any time, day or night. But they shouldn’t be getting a tax-free ride on the backs of hard-working Americans who don’t get such preferential treatment. President Bush and members of Congress should have the guts to yank the tax-exempt status away from these left-wing activists. And while they’re at it, take away the tax exempt status of any right-wing activist who thumb their noses at the law as brazenly as does the NAACP.

In a broad sense, Scarborough was right. Blatantly political groups should not be protected by a tax-exempt status that lets them conceal their donors (even official political groups, organized under section 527 of the tax code, are tax-exempt, but they are regulated by the FEC and have to disclose lots of information).

But at least the NAACP has a clear social mission outside of politics. It’s impossible to say the same of many of the 510(c)4 groups like the ones the IRS targeted. For instance, what does the Karl Rove-linked Crossroads GPS do aside from run ads attacking Democrats? Not much.

Ironically, Scarborough was trying to argue in his 2003 monologue that the IRS used a double standard in questioning the tax-exempt status of the Christian Coalition but not the NAACP. The IRS and the Christian-right group fought a protracted legal battle over its tax-exempt status, while the tax agency did open an investigation into the NAACP after the 2004 election.

In 2000, a number of lawmakers, including Scarborough, a former Florida Republican congressman, along with Sen. Susan Collins and former Sen. Strom Thurmond forwarded requests from constituents to the IRS asking that the agency look into the NAACP’s tax-exempt status. The lawmakers did not make the request themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Expect stories like this to start popping up all over the place:

Joe Scarborough’s IRS hypocrisy
    Well hell, at least MSNBC is acknowledging that undue scrutiny occurred. Other than that..........Joe who?
    Derailing topics with varied sidetracks since 2003.

Wasn't it just a week ago that this thing was all about two people in Cincinnati?

Now its all the way up to "Obama administration officials" during the election campaign.

The three most popular words for next week: "I don't know".

Haha. So Issa knew about it all along. What a friggin' tool.

^^^No wonder the right wing talking heads turned to umbrellagate this past week. With organizations like PETA, NAACP, and Greenpeace adding to the equation while Obama made swift actions, the GOP look like "whining bitches" who have known all along but did nothing.

Sorry, I didn't highlight those links above in enlarged bold red text.

Think I'll keep that avatar for a while...