Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Who the hell knows
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,225

    What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Hey folks. Been inactive for a while. Few years actually. Alot has changed in the PC world since I got off.

    The Phenom's had not come out yet, and The P4 HT's had just come out.....\


    Anyway. I want to get back into PC gaming, as I just really cannot deal with Console FPS's anymore. I made the sacrifice after my old PC died.

    I only have about $600 Dollars to spend.

    I would like to go with Intel this time.

    What kind of performance/future proofing do you think i could get with this kind of a system?

    I would mostly be playing games such as Battlefield 3/4 (when released) COD, etc....

  2. #2
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    For 600? Forget about intel, go amd for battlefield you will need to spend more on video.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Who the hell knows
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    For 600? Forget about intel, go amd for battlefield you will need to spend more on video.
    Can you give me some ideas for a build?

    What chipsets are popular now? Who's making good AMD boards now? Back in the day it was Abit and Asus. KT3A+ Chipsets....ugh I feel old and outdated LOL.

    What about ram these days? I'm trying to stay away from the Radeon/Crossfire type configurations..


    EDIT: I already have a DVD/RW Drive and SATA HDD as well as a case..

    Would really only need RAM, MOBO, CPU, VGA, POSSIBLY HSF.
    Last edited by Anti-Static-Man; 05-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.

  4. #4
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Here's what I came up with after a fun little jaunt through Newegg.

    ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157304

    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231455

    SAPPHIRE 100352-4L Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Video Card with Boost

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202030

    Grand total of $653.96.

    I'm guessing you're going to need a new power supply too though so that's going to set you back another $50 too. So now you're over $100 out of budget. If you don't plan on overclocking you can save $30 by going with an Intel i5-3350 instead of the 3570. You can also shave another $120 off the top by going with a Radeon 7850 instead of the 7950. I wouldn't recommend downgrading on the video card unless it's absolutely necessary though.

    As far as the AMD route goes, I don't see much of a savings there ($30 less for the FX-8350 compared to the i5-3570) compared to Intel and sorry but AMD is just not matching Intel when it comes to gaming performance.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Who the hell knows
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    I'd prefer to go the NVIDIA route. I always preferred their drivers. Always was able to get better performance out of them as well. In the current NVIDIA chipset range, what kind of card should I be considering? Not up with the current PR ratings on either brand

    Thanks KBO

  6. #6
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Static-Man View Post
    Can you give me some ideas for a build?

    What chipsets are popular now? Who's making good AMD boards now? Back in the day it was Abit and Asus. KT3A+ Chipsets....ugh I feel old and outdated LOL.

    What about ram these days? I'm trying to stay away from the Radeon/Crossfire type configurations..


    EDIT: I already have a DVD/RW Drive and SATA HDD as well as a case..

    Would really only need RAM, MOBO, CPU, VGA, POSSIBLY HSF.
    Gimme a couple of hours, I have to go out and when I come back Ill post parts, Asrock is currently best amd mobos.

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Here's what I came up with after a fun little jaunt through Newegg.

    ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157304

    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504

    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231455

    SAPPHIRE 100352-4L Radeon HD 7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-Express Video Card with Boost

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202030

    Grand total of $653.96.

    I'm guessing you're going to need a new power supply too though so that's going to set you back another $50 too. So now you're over $100 out of budget. If you don't plan on overclocking you can save $30 by going with an Intel i5-3350 instead of the 3570. You can also shave another $120 off the top by going with a Radeon 7850 instead of the 7950. I wouldn't recommend downgrading on the video card unless it's absolutely necessary though.

    As far as the AMD route goes, I don't see much of a savings there ($30 less for the FX-8350 compared to the i5-3570) compared to Intel and sorry but AMD is just not matching Intel when it comes to gaming performance.
    653 dollars exceeds his budget. And what you said is not true, in gaming AMD will actually perform was well as an i7 if the game uses all 8 cores like BF3 for example.
    OP is BF3/4 in your list of games?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Static-Man View Post
    I'd prefer to go the NVIDIA route. I always preferred their drivers. Always was able to get better performance out of them as well. In the current NVIDIA chipset range, what kind of card should I be considering? Not up with the current PR ratings on either brand

    Thanks KBO
    I had a 660ti, performance was not as good as this 7950, nor was the image quality, latency maybe a bit better but that's about it. And the new NVidia cards are voltage limited hardwarewise, ati is far superior by all means right now.

  7. #7
    Joined
    Jul 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    53
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Got a Microcenter anywhere close?

    http://www.microcenter.com/site/bran...r-bundles.aspx
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.


  8. #8
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post

    653 dollars exceeds his budget. And what you said is not true, in gaming AMD will actually perform was well as an i7 if the game uses all 8 cores like BF3 for example.
    OP is BF3/4 in your list of games?
    I don't know where you're getting your benchmarks from but from all the ones I've seen, the 8350 is no match even for an i5 much less an i7. Then there's the whole subject of power consumption. The FX-8350 uses over DOUBLE the power of the i5 3570k while performing the same task.



    All that means to me is a lot of extra heat and the need for a much better HSF or preferably water cooling in order to get decent overclocks. What I said definitely stands, I'll still take the i5, ANY i5 for that matter over the FX-8350 as it has better performance in games and uses far less power and therefore generates less heat while doing it.

    As far as going the Nvidia route over AMD for graphics cards because of a bad past experience with Radeon drivers? I've had both Nvidia and AMD cards off and on over the years and right now AMD is where it's at graphics wise. My 7950 and drivers are rock solid stable in all games I've played and fast. I wouldn't let the ghosts of drivers past sway your decision ASM.
    Last edited by kbohip; 05-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.

  9. #9
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    I have a really nice power supply calculator (Extreme Outer Vision) that I use so entered the specs of my above recommended system into it. Amazingly enough it comes back with a 247 watt recommended psu! Changing from the i5 3570 to an AMD FX-8350 brings it up to 286 watts recommended. In other words, a 500 watt psu is more than enough to power this system and even a 400 watt psu should easily be able to handle the load unless you plan on overclocking.

  10. #10
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I don't know where you're getting your benchmarks from but from all the ones I've seen, the 8350 is no match even for an i5 much less an i7. Then there's the whole subject of power consumption. The FX-8350 uses over DOUBLE the power of the i5 3570k while performing the same task.



    All that means to me is a lot of extra heat and the need for a much better HSF or preferably water cooling in order to get decent overclocks. What I said definitely stands, I'll still take the i5, ANY i5 for that matter over the FX-8350 as it has better performance in games and uses far less power and therefore generates less heat while doing it.

    As far as going the Nvidia route over AMD for graphics cards because of a bad past experience with Radeon drivers? I've had both Nvidia and AMD cards off and on over the years and right now AMD is where it's at graphics wise. My 7950 and drivers are rock solid stable in all games I've played and fast. I wouldn't let the ghosts of drivers past sway your decision ASM.
    I don't want to debate this, its tiresome, the only benches an i5 will beat an 8350 are single threaded. Heavy multithreaded appz that use over 4 cores is a different story, and BF3 for example uses 8 cores and benchs do show it matches an i7. Its hard to find a review that show this cause most sites are benching like n00bs at high rez which is straining video. But if you find one at low rez to measure raw cpu cycle power you will see what im talking about and how it matches an i7
    Especially how I just noticed OPs focus will be battlefield series..........

    Anyways OP here check this out:


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819113327

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157262


    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820104339

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227922

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153172

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103228

    + 3 free new games with video card

    And an SSD, refurbished but really doesn't matter, no mechanical parts and should work fine.

    All around 600 bucks after 35 dollars in rebates.

    Will run Battlefield good @1080p with medium to high settings

    Tried to fit an 8 core in budget but couldn't, more powerfull video is preferable.
    Last edited by Poci; 05-16-2013 at 01:59 AM.

  11. #11
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Honestly if I were ASM, I'd look at all the benchmarks myself and decide which chip does best in the games/applications I play/use the most. It would be a toss up to me if it weren't for the increased power use of the 8350.

    PS, Poci, that is a nice system you've put together! For some reason, I like the selection of AMD boards that Asrock has over the Intel ones.

  12. #12
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    A good article showing benchmarks across the board between the i5's and the 8350. The 8350 does good in some of the cpu intensive tasks but falls badly in gaming. Then there is the huge problem with overclocking the 8350. At 4.8ghz it is pulling almost 300 watts of power! Having seen this article, I'm firmly in the i5 camp. Why go with a cpu that uses double the power, and costs only $30 less, which will be eaten up immediately by having to buy a very good water cooling kit in order to overclock it nicely.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6396/t...-fx4300-tested

  13. #13
    Joined
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Who the hell knows
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,225

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    Thanks for all your input guys. I Feel like such a noob right now

  14. #14
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    To me power consumption is irrelevant, as long as its well cooled I see no problem

  15. #15
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    47
    Posts
    13,825

    Re: What kind of Rig could I get for 600$ Really need your help.

    FYI Micro Center has the i5 3570k for $169.99. They have the i7-3770k for $229.99. That's $40 and $100 respectively cheaper than Newegg! They also do a $40 off bundle savings on mobos/cpus so a 3570k with Asrock Z77 Extreme4 going for $84.99 so $255.00 for that combo. Of course this only works if you live near a Micro Center.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •