Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

On-board or not?

Question: I just built a new gaming rig, and stuck with on-board sound. If I game with headphones, steel series Siberia v2, would there be any benefit with going to a dedicated sound card?

Re: On-board or not?

I think there are quality benefits to using a dedicated sound card, mostly in terms of DAC quality, filtering, or something like a headphone amp. The trickier questions is: is it actually worth it? Thats largely dependent on how much you value the relatively small differences in the things I just mentioned. The truth of the matter is that dedicated soundcards these days don't get you nearly as much for gaming as they used to because the CPU's have enough horsepower that sound processing offloading is of negligible utility, the onboard quality has gone up, and things like EAX are gone. Creative's drivers for their soundcards remain notoriously dubious.

If it sounds like I'm being negative, its mostly because I don't see the value personally. An audiophile would probably tell you its critical, but for gaming I've been perfectly happy with my onboard sound.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

If you can fit it in budget yeah. I personally would never go back to onboard sound.

As always. Regardless of advertised SNR, a good aftermarket card sounds better. Same old song.
    Last edited by Will889; 06-13-2013 at 07:41 AM.

based from another reliable source he says that the sound quality is much better with this dedicated sound card.

what headphones you are using? so maybe I can advice you which will be match to enhance more your audio quality.

I purchased the Sound Blaster Zx. I think the sound is much more clear and crisp. The new Zx cards are very good cards, but from what I have read the Recon3D cards are not very good.

Dedicated.
    Hands down.
    When I built my rig awhile back, I too ran onboard for a bit.
    But having always used dedicated cards, the difference was quite noticeable.
    There are plenty of good cards out there depending on how much you want spend.
    I can highly recommend the HT|Omega line.
    Solid drivers. They don't update them often. But there is no need cause they get them right the 1st time.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271007
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Just got myself a HiFi Z87X from biostar. Many people told me before that onboard sound is so much worse than a discrete sound card. Guess what? The people having a discrete sound card will tell, onboard is crap. People using onboard will tell that onboard is just fine

So what is the right choice? From my side: i would keep some bucks and not get any extra card for a feature that is well covered on almost every motherboard.

why did i take biostar? because they have a pre AMP system that allows to use my headphone directly on the pc. until now, i always had to use external stereo system, because the impedance was too high for my old motherboard.

When I do my upgrade in September, there is a very good chance I won't be using my Xonar Essence STX, have heard some pretty good things about the ALC1150 HD Audio codec on the ASUS Z87 Deluxe.

Its like using a rubber or not.... that is how difference is with audio to me, I cant stand onboard

I'll give it a try, but will most likely wind up putting my Xonar Essence STX back in, cause there is a PCI Express X1 slot just before the first PCI Express X16 slot. I spent $200.00 for my Essence STX, so I'm of the feeling why not use it until I decided to upgrade to possibly the ASUS ROG Xonar Phobus.

Recently had to take out my Essence STX, cause it was blocking air flow on my primary 7850.

I'm going to try a dedicated sound card, I have not had one since the days of my Athlon 64, and 9700 pro, Now to find a card.

If you use digital connection where any conversion to analog is done outside your comp, on-board/dedicated makes no difference. Placebo effect still rules the world though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    If you use digital connection where any conversion to analog is done outside your comp, on-board/dedicated makes no difference. Placebo effect still rules the world though.
    U mean spidif?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    U mean spidif?
    SPDIF (digital coax or toslink) or HDMI and DisplayPort all qualify

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present