In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

[SOLVED]CPU speed drop and Vdrop?

Im OCing this vishera and its giving me an issue. Im @4.7ghz 1.45v right now but Im noticing drops under load. CPU speed drops to 1400mhz and Vcore to 1.21. I manually set everything in bios, turned off all power options, cool and quiet and everything. Windows has 100% CPU power management. Any ideas? I think cause of this I cant reach 5ghz stable due to the drops.
    Last edited by Poci; 05-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.

Re: CPU speed drop and Vdrop?

You should have a setting for "load line calibration" for the CPU or something like that in the bios.
    You need to set that to the highest or next to highest setting, that should take care or the Vdrop problem.
    You may need to adjust the CPU Vcore cause it may make the Vcore a bit hot compared to what you have set for.
    Don't be surprised if it takes near 1.5v or close to it to reach 5Gb these chips get hungry at that speed, and judge your 24/7 speeds by temps not voltage.
    These chips will run 24/7 @ 1.55v-1.57v as long as your cooling will keep it at 55c or less.
    You shouldn't have any problems reaching 5Gb, I really lucked out with the one I got !
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Hehe, I r not n00beh, I know about LLC. That's the thing its quirky with this chip. No matter what LLC I use, 25% to 100% or disabled I still see massive vdrop, im tinkering around right now and notice I cant set Vcore higher then 1.45 Like if I put 1.50 in bios the HW monitor only sees like 1.38ish. Its weird. But if I put in bios 1.45 it shows it fine.

Funny its the same mobo I was using with my previous 1090T, the LLC worked fine with that CPU, vcore was rock solid steady, with these FXs it seems different. I talked to an ASrock engineer and he told me the obvious n00b thing, ohh that its throttling and to hit F9 and run bios defaults.... What a genius, I told him it should not be throttling since I disabled that in bios.

Ohh well gonna tinker around some more, even though the LLC is acting weird it is helping with stability different settings I try. I dunno about 5ghz though, this chip seems meh....

Hmm, im investigating the issue online. Seems the throttling is most likely a BIOS issue. I know its not temps because I idle in early 20s and at load maybe mid 30s. So it has to be BIOS issue, even though I tried all LLC settings and turning off thermal throttling,C6, enhanced state and most impotantly APM. It still throttles down to 7 multiplier. And even at defaults it does this without ocing.

They are saying theres a "fix" to install AMD overdrive and enable and then disable turbo core and it should keep CPU speed steady. But I don't think It worked.

My theory is that APM is bugged in this bios period, even if it disables it is still actually enabled to keep cpu at rated TDP.

Any ideas guys? I tried BIOS 1.90 and 1.91A still same issue. Asrock has a 1.93 somewhere but in the realease notes it only changes RAM compatibility issues, says nothing about APM or any kind of throttling. Sigh, I want this thing OCed I cant make it reach full potential like this.

Sorry I can't be of some more help, I have no experience with that MB. The only thing I've noticed in looking at some pic's of that MB is that it only has one 8 pin connector for CPU power compared to the ASUS Crosshair V Forumla which I'm using that has both a 8 pin plus a 4 pin CPU connections. Could it be that your CPU is pulling more current than mosfet circuits can provide ?
    Just a thought !
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Nah, that's not the case, this has 12+2 power phase VRM, which I think is the only AMD board with that. It should OC fine, plenty of people with this same mobo are getting good OCs. And beside my previous thuban cpu, drew a lot of power too when OCed. I had it at almost 4ghz and it was perfect, no vdroop or multiplier lowering spikes. Im positive this is an issue with FX cpus on this board only.

Anyways Im forgetting about overclocking for now, pump just died on the antec 620,lol I was tinkering around OCing and rebooted and all of a sudden I heard a loud crunching noise, I was like wtf!!! Then it went away, I rebooted and played some BF3 and noticed fps was dropping to 30s. Then checked temps and was over 60c. Put finger on radiator and it was barely hot, then I put over the pump near CPU and it was really hot, no circulation. Running stock fan for now. Will deal with OCing this thing when Im done with RMA. Im also going to contact Asrock again, this time on phone. Through email they basically told me "ohh reset to defaults"...... Yeah and it happens at defaults too, massive vdroop and multiplier spikes.

EDIT: WOW, I think I figured out the problem. This is my theory but I see no vdroop now or multiplier spikes with stock cooling!!! Im going to guess it has to do with CPU fan plug, antect insists on plugging pump into that. Ill bet since it sees no RPM from a fan it goes haywire on the CPU vcore and multis!! Cause now the stock fan is in that plug and it works great!!! Why didn't this happen with the thuban though? Ohh well, will plug RMAed antect pump into one of the chassis fan slots next time and see what happens.
    Last edited by Poci; 05-26-2013 at 12:19 AM.