Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

[Console] I just bought a PS3!

Well...what else is there to say?

I bought 3 games to get started:

Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Heavenly Sword
    Dead or Alive 5

So far, the controller layout (and the small triggers) has been less of an issue than I thought, the thumbsticks may actually be better. I even downloaded motorstorm and COD:MW 2 demos to get a feel for the thumbstick-centric controls.

Re: [Console] I just bought a PS3!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia View Post
    Well...what else is there to say?

I bought 3 games to get started:

Rachet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Heavenly Sword
    Dead or Alive 5

So far, the controller layout (and the small triggers) has been less of an issue than I thought, the thumbsticks may actually be better. I even downloaded motorstorm and COD:MW 2 demos to get a feel for the thumbstick-centric controls.
    i prefer the ps3 controller to the xbox 360, it just feels better and i seem to be more precise with the analog sticks.

that being said rachet and clank was a good choice, but i probably would have bought some of the other good ps3 exclusives over the other two games to start off.

uncharted 1 2 and 3
    god of war (if you were interested in heavenly sword you would probably like this)
    mgs 4
    infamous 1 and 2.

alot of those games are dirt cheap right now too.

I'm going to be getting a PS3 and a PS4 when the PS4 comes out. Right now, I'm starting to get my hands on some decent RPG's to play, and once I get a few bills taken care of, hello Playstation 3.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    that being said rachet and clank was a good choice, but i probably would have bought some of the other good ps3 exclusives over the other two games to start off.

uncharted 1 2 and 3
    god of war (if you were interested in heavenly sword you would probably like this)
    mgs 4
    infamous 1 and 2.

alot of those games are dirt cheap right now too.
    Oh...dun worry, I'll most likely be buying some more games for my PS3!

I bought Dead or Alive 5 because I have it on my 360 and I like it. It is a good way to identify strength/weaknesses in the controller as well. I bought heavenly sword because I find Nariko's choice of attire to be compelling!

Down the line, here are some PS3 games I'll seriously be considering:

TWISTED METAL (OH YEAAAAAAH!!!!!)
    God of War
    Metal Gear Solid
    Gran Turismo (Duh!)
    Motorstorm!

Of course I will also get Fight Night Champion, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Soul Calibur, and Final Fantasy XIII, and XIII-2.

Congratulations to you my friend and PS3/PC peeps or any peeps out there for the nice stuff.

The other nice thing with the PS3 is if you want a larger hard drive, any 2.5" drive will do. I put in a 250GB one as the original 40GB was close to full. The only bad thing is that your backup is done through a USB 2.0 connection, so it will be very slow.

Compared with the Metro interface, XMB isn't cluttered. I've always liked it from day one and felt it served the needs of the experience rather well.

Well I like the fact that you can copy over a jpeg or other image and make a background for the OS.

UPDATE!:

Today I made the following purchases...

HDMI Cable (yes, I was running SD)
    Rumbleshock
    Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2

Incidentially, does anyone notice that low frame rates, and even frame rate drops, are much less noticible on a TV? Even with the same hardware, I notice games seem to run a bit clunkier on my PC Monitor using the XBOX vga cable than they do on an HDTV.
    Last edited by Cobra_nVidia; 05-29-2013 at 12:55 PM.

In some really, really heavy rendering in FF XIII, I kinda remember it, but I haven't played it in awhile (got stuck battling a mech and haven't come back yet). Usually, the PS3 has been smooth. Whether it be PC, 360, or PS3, I have yet to encounter a platform that hasn't run in to some slow-down at some point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia View Post
    Incidentially, does anyone notice that low frame rates, and even frame rate drops, are much less noticible on a TV? Even with the same hardware, I notice games seem to run a bit clunkier on my PC Monitor using the XBOX vga cable than they do on an HDTV.
    I think its because they're running these games at less than HD res and then upscaling. Your PC would probably run smooth too if it was rendering at 540P

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

What I mean is, has anyone noticed frame rate drops MORE on a PC monitor, compared to a HDTV. I have played my 360 on both display types, and noticed more slowdown on a PC monitor

EDIT: Posted the same time as ACTIVATE: AMD's post.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I think its because they're running these games at less than HD res and then upscaling. Your PC would probably run smooth too if it was rendering at 540P
    I did notice my TV is running the PS3 at 1080i, maybe that's it.

I gotta say, playing a console on an HDTV is really growing on me. When I got my vga cable for my xbox, I only had an old TV, so my monitor was letting me see the game at MUCH better detail. But for someone who spends 9/10 hours standing on some days, it's nice to hook it up to a TV and lie down. I'm not really into the social aspect of consoles, that's more PC for me!
    Last edited by Cobra_nVidia; 05-29-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Well I made some new purchases:

Playstation All-Stars
    Little Big Planet: Karting (which also has other stuff, like blowing up trucks with a robotic dragon!)
    Motorstorm: Pacific Rift

All are about $20.

Might want to get the Resistance series too.

I purchased a game for 25 bucks. Something called "Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition". Probably an modern online multiplayer shooter or something

Welcome to the club.

Had GT5 for quite some time.

Have fun out there I hope.