Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First computer build

Hello,

I am new to this website and am hoping to get some help with a build I am contemplating. This will be my first ever computer build so I am hoping it goes well.

The goal for this build is for some gaming (e.g., StarCraft 2), video/photo editing, and playing Blu Ray movies. I would like to build this for under $1500. I used the high-end and mid-range leaderboard as a springboard for my build.

Here is what I'm considering:

1. Cooler Master Elite 430 - Mid Tower Computer Case (RC-430-KWN1)
    2. Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz (BX80637I73770K)
    3. Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB Graphics Card (GV-N660OC-2GD)
    4. MSI Z77A-GD55 Motherboard
    5. Samsung 840 Pro 128 gb SSD (MZ-7PD128BW)
    6. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD (ST1000DM003)
    7. Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (CMZ8GX3M2A1600​C9)
    8. Corsair TX750 PSU
    9. Asus Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-Ray Drive (BC-12B1ST)
    10. Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit
    11. ASUS 22-Inch Full-HD 2ms LED-Lit LCD Monitor (VS228H-P)

Now, a few questions:
    1. Am I missing any parts?
    2. Do I need to add more fans to the case I selected?
    3. Is the case I selected going to provide the cooling this system needs?
    4. Will the case I selected support my hardware list?
    5. I went with the MSI Z77A-GD55 motherboard over the MSI Z77A-GD80 because I do not care to have the thunderbolt connectivity. Will the GD55 motherboard still support the rest of the hardware listed above? Any reason I should choose the GD80 over the GD55 with this build in mind?
    6. Do I need the TX750 PSU for this build, or should I use the 500 watt unit suggested by the leaderboard for the mid-range system (CORSAIR Builder Series CX500M)? How do you know how many watts your system needs?

Thank you in advance for your help and I am open to any suggestions.
    Last edited by strongboy2005; 05-31-2013 at 01:39 PM.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: First computer build

Video editing? I assume you are going to be recoding and encoding a lot. I would shave off something else to fit more RAM in the budget. Like the PSU you don't need 750W. Have you considered AMD instead of Intel? CPU should cost less then that intel and is great for encoding in fact you would need 1000$ i7 to surpass an 8350 in that field. Motherboard might be cheaper too, shave all that off and you can get more RAM and a bigger SSD. 128GB would be enough for gaming but for audio and video editing you will need more space.

Thanks for your reply. What do you think about the case I selected? Will it work with this build?

As far as the RAM goes, if I buy 2 sets of the Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 SDRAM, for a total of 16 GB, will this be enough for most games and some video editing? How can you tell if the motherboard supports this much RAM?

Thanks again for your help.

Cases are mostly a matter of personal preference. The motherboard should handle that ram, any modern board can take 32-64 gb of ram.

Now, a few questions:
    1. Am I missing any parts?

Keyboard, Mouse, HDMI or DVI Cable.

2. Do I need to add more fans to the case I selected?

Add at least one 120mm fan to back

3. Is the case I selected going to provide the cooling this system needs?

will be sufficient. Just dont overclock.

4. Will the case I selected support my hardware list?

The only thing I would be concerned with is the graphic Cards. This Case supports up to 12.4 inch graphic cards.

5. I went with the MSI Z77A-GD55 motherboard over the MSI Z77A-GD80 because I do not care to have the thunderbolt connectivity. Will the GD55 motherboard still support the rest of the hardware listed above? Any reason I should choose the GD80 over the GD55 with this build in mind?

I only see thunderbolt support. But then again I just skim over it.

6. Do I need the TX750 PSU for this build, or should I use the 500 watt unit suggested by the leaderboard for the mid-range system (CORSAIR Builder Series CX500M)? How do you know how many watts your system needs?

google power supply calculator and you can get a better idea what type you need. 500watts is cutting it too close. I would go with a 600 80plus gold or 650 80 plus gold power supply.
    Last edited by Goldenlight; 05-31-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    Follow Your Bliss

If you have the funds, I would up the ram to 16 gigs
    Follow Your Bliss

Thank you for all the advice.

I went with the 750 W power supply in case I ever want to upgrade the system.

Bought 3 more fans for a total of 4 fans in the case.

As for the RAM, the motherboard came with free Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0) on newegg.com. My thought is that I can monitor my RAM usage and if I'm ever using all 8 gb of the ram, I can opt to get 8 more at that time. I know RAM is cheap, but it's also always easy to add more later.

I did have a question about the RAM - I am opting to use the free RAM that came with the motherboard, but is there any reason I should buy different (e.g., more high performance) RAM? I could maybe ebay the free RAM and put better RAM in my setup. However, if there is no appreciable difference I'd rather not go through the trouble.

Thanks again for all the help.

If you use the memory that came with board as gift you will be limited to single channel performance. YOu need at least two modules for dual channel.

Quote Originally Posted by strongboy2005 View Post
    Thank you for all the advice.

I went with the 750 W power supply in case I ever want to upgrade the system.

Bought 3 more fans for a total of 4 fans in the case.

As for the RAM, the motherboard came with free Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (BLS8G3D1609ES2LX0) on newegg.com. My thought is that I can monitor my RAM usage and if I'm ever using all 8 gb of the ram, I can opt to get 8 more at that time. I know RAM is cheap, but it's also always easy to add more later.

I did have a question about the RAM - I am opting to use the free RAM that came with the motherboard, but is there any reason I should buy different (e.g., more high performance) RAM? I could maybe ebay the free RAM and put better RAM in my setup. However, if there is no appreciable difference I'd rather not go through the trouble.

Thanks again for all the help.

So you're saying I would have to buy a second 8 gb stick?

Is it bad to mix and match? For instance, I could buy the Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 SDRAM (CMZ8GX3M2A1600​C9) and also run the free 8 gb RAM that will come with the motherboard?

EDIT: Just read on another website that to properly run dual-channel memory I should run the exact same RAM in my build. So then the question is whether to get another stick of the Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 SDRAM, or to sell the free stick I got and buy the Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) DDR3 SDRAM. I am leaning towards just buying a second stick of the Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB for a total of 16GB, unless you believe the performance of the Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2x4 GB) makes it worth getting instead.
    Last edited by strongboy2005; 06-01-2013 at 05:50 PM.

I see that the GPU I selected is 10.09" x 5.16" x 1.56", so it should fit in the 12.4" allotted space.

BAH! First component missing that I did not have: 2.5" to 3.5" SSD mounting bracket!

Hoping they have one at radioshack... Otherwise can't finish my build today!

Will keep you updated if I find any other "missing" parts...

Update: found out you don't need the mounting bracket for the 2.5" . There are no moving parts, so just Velcro the thing wherever you want it to go.

My SSD came with a mounting bracket. Now im not the prettiest cable handler inside cases, in fact Im pretty linient and usually don't put much effort into organizing inside, but I wouldn't Velcro anything. That's plain lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Video editing? I assume you are going to be recoding and encoding a lot. I would shave off something else to fit more RAM in the budget. Like the PSU you don't need 750W. Have you considered AMD instead of Intel? CPU should cost less then that intel and is great for encoding in fact you would need 1000$ i7 to surpass an 8350 in that field. Motherboard might be cheaper too, shave all that off and you can get more RAM and a bigger SSD. 128GB would be enough for gaming but for audio and video editing you will need more space.
    Depending on the editing and encoding software the 3770K is a lot better performer than the 8350, even in the image and video editing department. The 8350 is not a terrible choice, but the reality is again the Intel performs better and AMD competes with price.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Depending on the editing and encoding software the 3770K is a lot better performer than the 8350, even in the image and video editing department. The 8350 is not a terrible choice, but the reality is again the Intel performs better and AMD competes with price.
    It is not that much better. The 8350 can match a 1000$ i7 in some benches which will use all 8 cores especially video editing. And when it comes to gaming they are pretty much on par.