Socket 1155 dead?

Hey all, after seeing Haswell come out now using a new socket 1150 has Intel abandoned their Ivy Bridge line of CPU's? I mean I have a 3770K and a Maximus V Gene mobo now in the future I would like to upgrade my CPU and not buy a new mobo/cpu again. Does anyone think Intel will release a new CPU after 3770k? To support anyone who bought a 1155 mobo, I feel Intel just burned most of us using a 1155 socket. At least AMD keeps their AM3+ going and going which is great.

Re: Socket 1155 dead?

They aren't going to release any new architecture on an "old" socket because Haswell is Ivy Bridge's direct successor and it got a new socket to accommodate the migration of some VRM components onto the CPU package. 1155 is a dead end now. The 2 CPU versions on the same socket (SB & IB) is about all you can expect from intel at this point. 1366 got 2 (bloomfield & gulftown). Intel really don't push for backwards compatibility because they are in a position of strength from a performance standpoint, unlike AMD which needs much better value propositions to make sales, hence their strong commitment to backwards compatibility. Frankly, I worry that the obsession with backwards compatibility has held AMD back and reduced their ability to make dramatic changes to the CPU

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Oh well, there's to hoping... Yeah your probably right, 1155 is just dead now, I mean the 3770k will last a long time, more than a video card, probably a good 3+ yrs or so. I guess I'll stay with it, and see how it goes. Yeah, I guess your right to about AMD using the same socket, they want to keep their fan base happy but that could be holding them back. Now this new CPU from AMD looks good so far, I'm hearing 5ghz speed, so we shall see

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I disagree, AMD couldn't have done better in terms of backwards and forwards compatibility.
    You can still be using DDR2 memory and a newer Phenom would be compatible with it, much more economical, sintel crowd has to buy new cpu+mobo and sometimes new memory.... more expensive

Quote Originally Posted by T1125P View Post
    Oh well, there's to hoping... Yeah your probably right, 1155 is just dead now, I mean the 3770k will last a long time, more than a video card, probably a good 3+ yrs or so. I guess I'll stay with it, and see how it goes. Yeah, I guess your right to about AMD using the same socket, they want to keep their fan base happy but that could be holding them back. Now this new CPU from AMD looks good so far, I'm hearing 5ghz speed, so we shall see
    If you've got a 3770k I dont see any need to upgrade anytime soon. Heck, I have a i7-950 and upgrading to Haswell isn't a complete no-brainer even with a chip that was released 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I disagree, AMD couldn't have done better in terms of backwards and forwards compatibility.
    You can still be using DDR2 memory and a newer Phenom would be compatible with it, much more economical, sintel crowd has to buy new cpu+mobo and sometimes new memory.... more expensive
    You misunderstood the point. Yes, they've maintained backwards compatibility, but at what cost? Their CPUs aren't remotely competitive from a performance standpoint, so they have to be cheap to be attractive. Who knows if they could have done better without maintaining backwards compatibility? Its all speculative, but we do have Intel with a commanding performance lead who have changed their sockets every few architectures. I won't say that changing sockets was always necessary, but not having to worry about maintaining backwards compatibility obviously removes a major design constraint.

Trust me, I do science

No it doesn't. Their performance is irrelevant when it comes to what I said. Someone with an older system who can not afford to buy 3 parts needed to upgrade can just put 1 part. That makes AMD money. Ppl would rather just buy a cpu then mobo, ram and cpu sometimes.

No it doesn't. Their performance is irrelevant when it comes to what I said. Someone with an older system who can not afford to buy 3 parts needed to upgrade can just put 1 part. That makes AMD money. Ppl would rather just buy a cpu then mobo, ram and cpu sometimes.
    It isn't irrelevant because their lack of performance has to influence their design philosophy. Intel doesn't need to cater to people who can't afford to upgrade 2 components because they can demand a premium for their products. This philosophy is obviously working for intel because they are pretty dominant in the CPU desktop space right now. I'm not saying theres not a place for AMD amongst the more budget conscious. Also, I will qualify that any speculation about whether or not AMD's commitment to backwards compatibility is holding that is just that, speculation, but its not too hard to imagine that it places limitations on AMD's processor design

Trust me, I do science

Yes and you claimed that due to the compatibility that it doesn't advance in performance, that is not true and even if it does I see intel doing the same rehash everytime with core is. Phenoms and FXs have major differences yet their boards are compatible with both.

Yes and you claimed that due to the compatibility that it doesn't advance in performance, that is not true and even if it does I see intel doing the same rehash everytime with core is. Phenoms and FXs have major differences yet their boards are compatible with both.
    No, I didn't. I said that might be... like 5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD
    Frankly, I worry that the obsession with backwards compatibility has held AMD back and reduced their ability to make dramatic changes to the CPU
    Who knows if they could have done better without maintaining backwards compatibility? Its all speculative
    any speculation about whether or not AMD's commitment to backwards compatibility is holding them back is just that, speculation
    And yes, phenoms and FX's are different on the same socket, but you don't know how much effort they had to put in to get them that way. Did AMD's engineer have to use a less efficient layout to make sure that the traces would match the AM3+ pinout? Are they limited in the number of power planes they can add and how much power gating they can do on the core because they don't have enough power delivery pins in the right places? Are they carrying extra features that take up die area or waste power so they can maintain their backwards compatibility. Again, not too hard to imagine some of these things getting in the way.

To me the backwards compatibility isn't that important, I'd rather see AMD be performance competitive than price competitive because it would drive down prices for both due to competition. I understand why people like it, but until AMD gets competitive again, don't plan on intel releasing more than 1-2 CPU's per socket.

Trust me, I do science

DDR3 has been out for almost 6 years now (launched in 2007). Upgrading to a new proc while using a 6 year old motherboard and DDR2 ram isn't economical, it's foolish. The new CPU may be compatible, but it will be held back by old components.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamM2 View Post
    DDR3 has been out for almost 6 years now (launched in 2007). Upgrading to a new proc while using a 6 year old motherboard and DDR2 ram isn't economical, it's foolish. The new CPU may be compatible, but it will be held back by old components.
    When DDR3 came out it was very expensive, like all new memorys. In fact memory is the only component that can increase in value after years. Rule of supply and demand, I remember with DDR memory I sold my old gear for almost 3 times its original price when DDR2 was the standard and DDR was very hard to find. In any case no its not foolish to stick with a DDR2 mobo and RAM and only upgrade CPU. How is it holding it back? Take for example if you have a DDR2 board with maxed out memory which was around 8 gigz, and you only have says a dual core Phenom and your on a budget? Go and buy new mobo ram and CPU which would cost twice as much as say buying just a thuban for that DDR2 setup which will be a big difference at less then 200 dollars, while the first option of upgrading everything may cost over 300 dollars.

When DDR3 came out it was very expensive, like all new memorys. In fact memory is the only component that can increase in value after years. Rule of supply and demand, I remember with DDR memory I sold my old gear for almost 3 times its original price when DDR2 was the standard and DDR was very hard to find. In any case no its not foolish to stick with a DDR2 mobo and RAM and only upgrade CPU. How is it holding it back? Take for example if you have a DDR2 board with maxed out memory which was around 8 gigz, and you only have says a dual core Phenom and your on a budget? Go and buy new mobo ram and CPU which would cost twice as much as say buying just a thuban for that DDR2 setup which will be a big difference at less then 200 dollars, while the first option of upgrading everything may cost over 300 dollars.
    $200 for possibly a minor increase in performance vs $300+ for a major upgrade. Considering you'll possibly fetch over $100 for the old parts... I wonder what is the sensible way to go?