In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

[SOLVED]8350 and higher voltages?

Im trying to OC this 8350 and having issues. Max stable OC at defaults voltage is 4.5. At 4.6 I get freezes. Now heres the tricky part, if I raise voltage is where the problem is. I tried 4.6 @ 1.45 and even 1.5 and system freezes with OCCT stress test.

To troubleshoot I set clock @ default 4 ghz and then raised voltage to 1.45 and was still freezing in OCCT.

I went all the way down to default 1.325 voltage. It was stable with that, little by little cranked voltage up, limit was 1.4 stable. Anything above 1.4 with even stock clock speeds gives my system freeze in OCCT.

Any ideas guys?

Temps are fine and all power options off in bios. Don't know whats wrong, previous Thuban CPU oced fine in this mobo.

EDIT: Im thinking its something with board. Was reading around and I heard that some of the AM3+ mobos aren't fully compatible with piledriver, they will work for phenoms and bulldozers. Im thinking of getting a sabertooth and see what happens.
    Last edited by Poci; 08-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Re: 8350 and higher voltages?

Your problem could be more with OCCT, that app locks up with my system even at default settings!
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Nah its not, was fine at default voltage.

Also tested in Linux and also froze

Im all out of ideas. I think that something is defective. Either mobo or something with CPU.

System is fine at defaults which is why I doubt CPU. Its rock solid stable. Mobo on the other hand didn't have this problem with previous CPU, a thuban. So I don't know what to do, should I RMA mobo or CPU? Or both just in case? That would mean more then a week with no PC either way

The VRM's on your board are getting too hot with that voltage. Get some air blowing on those and I bet the freezing goes away.

Freezing seems to stabilize by tinkering with LLC.

There was air by the VRM, the intake of the antec 620.

My next thought was LLC, but from what I have read the VRM's on these 990FX boards can get a little toasty. If you can get some air blowing directly on the heatsinks that cover them you would be helping yourself out....

Anyhoo, hope you can get it to 4.7-4.8. I'm thinking I can get mine to 5, but only with a custom loop.

Quote Originally Posted by StillFunkyB View Post
    My next thought was LLC, but from what I have read the VRM's on these 990FX boards can get a little toasty. If you can get some air blowing directly on the heatsinks that cover them you would be helping yourself out....

Anyhoo, hope you can get it to 4.7-4.8. I'm thinking I can get mine to 5, but only with a custom loop.
    You don't need a custom loop for 5 in most cases.
    In any case Im just gonna run mild oc for now, im broke and cant spend money on new cooling atm. Maybe when I get a new job. Just gonna run stock cooling with this mild oc. It does what I need and more so Im not worried about it. What I really wanna do is add another video card.

Was VRM throttling issue, problem solved I think, put an extra intake fan which is near VRM and the throttling seems to happen way less often.