Exclamation Problem with Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive

I am currently trying to back up my laptop into this HDD: Western Digital My Passport 1TB External HDD (WDBBEP0010BBK)
    Every time it gets to a little over the halfway mark of backing up, the laptop makes the noise of the HDD being disconnected and then connected again, then I get a window that pops up asking if I want to view the files within the HDD or backup to the HDD.
    What could be the reason why this is happening?
    This error code keeps showing up as well: 0x80070002
    Last edited by Head Master; 10-25-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Re: Problem with Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive

Sounds more like a software issue, what are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Sounds more like a software issue, what are you using?
    What do you mean? I'm not using any programs to back it up, its just a simply plug in then backing it up using the Windows Backup from here: http://oi45.tinypic.com/ffcrw7.jpg

OK, well Windows is software too. That's probably where the issue lies. Are you certain the drive has enough free space to hold everything? Your screen shot indicates that you're duplicating personal files plus a complete system image. The system image would already contain personal files.

I'd suggest trying a different backup software and just image the entire laptop drive.

OK, well Windows is software too. That's probably where the issue lies. Are you certain the drive has enough free space to hold everything? Your screen shot indicates that you're duplicating personal files plus a complete system image. The system image would already contain personal files.

I'd suggest trying a different backup software and just image the entire laptop drive.
    Well the system image is used for restoring the laptop just in case something happens right? Is that the same thing as duplicating my personal files separately?
    And yes, my HDD has more than enough room to backup everything from my laptop, over 900GB of free space to be exact and with the laptop having 200GB used so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Head Master View Post
    Well the system image is used for restoring the laptop just in case something happens right? Is that the same thing as duplicating my personal files separately?
    And yes, my HDD has more than enough room to backup everything from my laptop, over 900GB of free space to be exact and with the laptop having 200GB used so far.
    Problem with Windows backup is that it's useless if you don't have a functioning Windows environment to use it in. Even then it's a pretty crude tool and not always reliable. This is why most folks use 3rd party imaging software to image, then you use a provided boot disc to restore an image.

Your personal files are included in the image of the drive, so duplicating them is redundant. (but not necessarily a bad idea). I use imaging software to keep full disc images but also keep copies of all personal files separately.

Problem with Windows backup is that it's useless if you don't have a functioning Windows environment to use it in. Even then it's a pretty crude tool and not always reliable. This is why most folks use 3rd party imaging software to image, then you use a provided boot disc to restore an image.

Your personal files are included in the image of the drive, so duplicating them is redundant. (but not necessarily a bad idea). I use imaging software to keep full disc images but also keep copies of all personal files separately.
    This probably is a dumb question but when you say "provided boot disc", is that referring to an actual disk that is given when you buy the laptop, or is does it come from the external HDD?

In order to restore a drive image, you need an operating system and appropriate software. A boot disc is generally a CD or a USB thumb drive, (whatever the laptop is able to boot from). It can be a Linux disc or WinPE, whatever the specific imaging software requires. You also might need to be able to get into BIOS or at least boot settings on the laptop to tell it to boot to something other than its internal HDD. You can't boot to the same drive you intend to restore an image to.

In order to restore a drive image, you need an operating system and appropriate software. A boot disc is generally a CD or a USB thumb drive, (whatever the laptop is able to boot from). It can be a Linux disc or WinPE, whatever the specific imaging software requires. You also might need to be able to get into BIOS or at least boot settings on the laptop to tell it to boot to something other than its internal HDD. You can't boot to the same drive you intend to restore an image to.
    If you are able to image the entire the laptop onto an external HDD, is it too risky to move it to another external HDD? Would you lose any data in the process?
    I'm asking this because the software that came with my Western Digital HDD is only capable of backing up files, not imaging.
    Also, I'm able to image the laptop onto another smaller capacity HDD for some reason, but I would like to have it in my 1TB HDD.
    Last edited by Head Master; 10-26-2012 at 05:28 PM.

You know you can create a repair CD with Windows backup. Then you boot to the CD to restore the image, no operating system needed. I've used Win 7's built in imaging software many times, and find it to be more reliable. easier, and faster than third party apps.

How about when the ext. is plugged into my laptop(not being the first time mind you), it all of a sudden is making a spinning sound, then a beep each time???? I've already started trhansfering music off the laptop and converting the cds over to ext.storage.WHats happening here?????