Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Meh, new mobo for 8350 OC.........

Due to the issue im having here:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...igher-voltages

Im thinking just screw it and buy a new mobo. Dunno though if I should. Just talked to Asrock engys and they claimed if its working fine at defaults then the board is not defective but they will RMA if I want.
    Im jobless and broke right now and really don't want to RMA or even buy a new mobo. Although I might just go ahead I dunno.

Im looking at these boards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128509

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157358

Issue with first board is that Im seeing too many reviewers saying it fried something in their system
    And issue with 2nd board is that its very similar to my current board and Im afraid I will run into same issue as in post above.

I dunno, Im driven to believe this is a mobo issue, yet I didn't have this problem with previous CPU which was a Thuban, so I figured maybe its something only with piledrivers, but upon researching online I see tons of people with this mobo raising vcore way above 1.4 just fine. Im really stuck here, tried 3 different bioses and same shit. Should I RMA? Should I sell this and just get one of the boards above? Or god forbid Poci no do any OCing and just run at defaults?

Re: Meh, new mobo for 8350 OC.........

UPDATE: Went ahead and got the Asrock 990FX Extreme 9. Was on sale at the egg 30 bucks off for 160.
    This board just came out a few months ago so Im hoping no issues with piledriver. Hmm, don't want to have to format rig, every time I change mobos in past it meant format time. Im hoping since this is same chipset I wont have too, has different NIC and other things. Lets see how windows adapts to it.

sttubs is offline Always learning something

After installing the new board run CCleaner's registry cleaner & then install the new drivers.
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

What a bummer. Just installed new board. Does something very similar to my original problem. Although Im at 1.5vcore after tinkering around with LLC settings, it seems stable. What really is pissing me off is throttling. From the research I have gathered this is a common issue with Asrock boards, the VRM gets to a certain temp and throttles to protect the board. Good thing is you wont fry your board, I just don't understand why It only happens with FXs, I did not have this problem with my previous Thuban cpu. I think I should have got the Gigabyte board or a Sabertooth, I just don't rust gigabyte after a 970 UD3 board of thiers literally cought fire in VRM area and the sabertooth was a great option but the PCI slot was not in the right position for me, I plan on going crossfire and wouldn't be able too cause my sound card is PCI and it would block the second card.

Im pondering on returning this board to the egg and getting the gigabyte, but like I said I don't trust them, and also Im lazy to rebuild whole system, took me two hours this morning to make everything nice and tidy and perfect.

Lets see how well this OCs in current condition, right now im just testing voltage loads. VRM is fing burning hot at this moment @1.5v

sttubs is offline Always learning something

I'm mainly an Asus fan, but all companies will eventually put out a sub par product. That being said there are still many Gigabyte fans that have had no issues with their 990FX boards. You may want to consider MSI too, they've come quite a way from the "old days".
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - Samsung 850 Evo 500gb - WD Black 5Tb - Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed - Win 10 Pro 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Quote Originally Posted by sttubs View Post
    I'm mainly an Asus fan, but all companies will eventually put out a sub par product. That being said there are still many Gigabyte fans that have had no issues with their 990FX boards. You may want to consider MSI too, they've come quite a way from the "old days".
    I was looking at the MSI 990fx v2 as well but had the pci slot problem for me as well.

I just upgraded three machines, all 8350's. The first was on my Gigabyte 990FX UD7 board, that I had had a 4170 in and thought it died on me (Turned out to be the Monitor AC adapter) any way I had ordered a ASRock Fatal1ty board and high speed everything. The board got here it would not post so I took it to the shop, convinced I had done something wrong. They RMA'd it and while waiting i went elsewhere (FRY's) and got a new MSI 990FX G80 V2 board a 8350, Corsair Ram, ASUS 7870 and upgraded my EP0X with the Opteron 148 and the MSI would not post either. Back to Fry's to exchange, they tested it on the spot, and indeed it was dead. They then got a new one off the shelf, took it out and tested it. Worked super for them and for me when I got it home. Meanwhile the ASRock came back from RMA and now I have it up for me. The Warden took possession of the first two 8350's
    The Warden has Win 7 Ultimate on both. She has a Sapphire 7970 with the UD7 board and I bought her a ASUS 27" LED LCD to go with that ASUS 7870for the second one. (Using Displayport cable on both ends for that machine supposedly better that DVI or HDMI)

I wanted the ASRock EXtreme 9, just could not find it locally I was thinking of upgrading my 790FX MSI with the X2 6400 to the Extreme 9 and maybe a 4350
    Last edited by PandaZ3; 06-28-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I am running a Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 with a 8350. I am truly in love with this board. I ran it with a 1055t @ 3.5 first then got the 8350. Everything is nice a stable and runs like a dream. Also have 2x 7850's crossfired in it and it is a 24/7 cruncher.

Well I am still fiddling around I just bought a ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS at a local store for $60, because it said it was good for 125 Watts. (You can find same board at Newegg and elsewhere for $54 or maybe less, worth $6 not to travel or wait)
    Anyway Mom has to live with us now and I have had a 939 Abit board with a X2 4400 in it and it was doing credible service, but I had this 4170 laying around gathering dust.... It had lived in the Warden's Gigabyte 990FX UD7 when I had my monitor adapter failure and I started going crazy trying to rebuild that and so now have the tree 8350 machines...but we won't rewind that.

So with Mom's upgrade, I had a problem as I had not disabled her on-board video on the new board, got that sorted and I had to reactivate XP 64 as there had been a triggering change (Board and CPU) but other than the time it takes to re-activate, no real problem with the OS.

Of course this ASUS is a Micro ATX board and so I had to change some standoffs to get it fitted and it seemed weird replacing a ATX board. I used my old X1950 XTX card, but that does hide one PCIe 1 slot (of two) so that left exposed one PCIe 1 slot and a PCI slot.

I had not thought this through, just started doing.... Well it was an old Antec Sonata case with a old Power supply that had only two Sata connections. So in went a new Fractal PSU and I had planned enough to get a PCIe replacement for the PCI wireless adapter. That left the PCI slot for the Audigy sound card....but no that was not to be either. The old DVD rive worked well and had the connectors for the sound card, but they were IDE and my new Cheap SATA DVD writer had no other connections.
    so I am using the Realtek on-board HD audio and it sounds very good on the cheap Logitech 2.1 speakers

Short story a little longer. The computer is a much better machine now the 4170 (Stock) is performing well and the computer ranking went from a bottom third machine to a top third machine. I have some more tweaking to do, but I will say this little 760G board seems to be working out well. No way am I going to try overclocking on it though, even using ASUS tools and safeguards. Well maybe later...

My advice is to plan better than I did if upgrading a old machine and I don't want to sound "Cheap" just because I was...

I believe in Premium boards for the most part
    Last edited by PandaZ3; 07-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

glad to hear you got it going.

Yes I did a little more tweaking here and there and now it ranks in the top 25%. Mom just does puzzles on it anyway, she has forgotten how to find a game looking at the program index. But better is better for her.

I decided to buy another one, ASRock Extreme 9, 16 Gig PC 2133 Radeon Ram (Okay it's GSkill) Sapphire 7870 and of course another 8350, so this will be the fourth 8350 and I have a 4170, and now I have a unused 1090 that the Warden won't part with and a 6400. I will be computer Poor ..... with just one more.

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    I decided to buy another one, ASRock Extreme 9, 16 Gig PC 2133 Radeon Ram (Okay it's GSkill) Sapphire 7870 and of course another 8350, so this will be the fourth 8350 and I have a 4170, and now I have a unused 1090 that the Warden won't part with and a 6400. I will be computer Poor ..... with just one more.
    Yeah this is the board I finally got. Very similar to the fatality. BIOS layout is almost the same.

Well scratch my new build, The Warden wants my Laptop so I am getting a MSI GX-70

Well if that 1090t needs a new home send me a pm as I have a rig in my crunching fleet that would love to replace it's 970BE with a 1090t.