Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Quote Originally Posted by ThE_MaD_ShOt View Post
    I have Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 and really love this board. I am running a fx 8350 @ 4.4 in it. There is a new revision of it out now with beefy heatsinks and uefi bios. Here is a pic I posted on my build thread over at TPU.

]
    Yes I am looking hard at that board , I saw that their was a revision 4.0 and that is the one I am interested in . I read that lower revisions have a issue with amds' newest cpus overheating the VRMs . Do You know anywhere that they are selling the rev 4.0 ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    going with asrock 990fx extreme 9 looked at gigabyte and asus nothing there that floats my board have had a few other asrock boards most were good so familure ground their Poci You should start a asrock extreme 9 thread ? I join in !
    say just wondering Poci You running in ide or achi mode ?

I will probaly wait till new egg gets these on sale again . sorry I missed the 20 bucks off deal
    Dude, stick to this, don't let the others threads discourage you. Everything I said is a fact, JEthro manipulates facts to his advantage. Don't be feeble minded and buy into his .

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Yes I am looking hard at that board , I saw that their was a revision 4.0 and that is the one I am interested in . I read that lower revisions have a issue with amds' newest cpus overheating the VRMs . Do You know anywhere that they are selling the rev 4.0 ?
    Yes the VRMs are an issue with newest AMDs. In fact its the one negative thing I have to say about it. Asrock built in VRM throttling protection just because of this. Even on a 12+2 power phase board like this Extreme 9 the VRM still throttles at extreme heavy load. Happened with my Fatality as well.

Asus crosshair and sabertooth use pretty much same power regulation as asrock as well but Im not sure if they are throttling as well. They just call it digipower.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yes the VRMs are an issue with newest AMDs. In fact its the one negative thing I have to say about it. Asrock built in VRM throttling protection just because of this. Even on a 12+2 power phase board like this Extreme 9 the VRM still throttles at extreme heavy load. Happened with my Fatality as well.

Asus crosshair and sabertooth use pretty much same power regulation as asrock as well but Im not sure if they are throttling as well. They just call it digipower.
    Yep I bet that is the issue with asrock I had their extreme 4 and their fatality but wow it was slow as a snail compaired with a gigabyte 970 board . Looks Like I will hold out on getting that Asrock extreme 9 and put the amd rig on hold . I looked at the bios of that extreme 9 and I see no way to control the VRMs . On asus boards You do have control . I learned this the hard way on the z77 sabertooth I am curently running . Leave that sucker on auto on You will swear your 3770k is a pentium 2 CPU . I am kinda wondering if all this "digital phase control " is realy a good idea?

Just for kicks I just redid My Asus Z77 Sabertooth . wanted to ditch the thermal armor BS and apply some high end Thermal compound to the Z77 heat sink . That went well as asus used some kinda pink Goo that had long since melted off .
    I used a high end XIGMATEK PTI-G4512 which is non conductive . worked real nice lowered temps by 5 deg C !
    I removed the VRM heatsink and was shocked to see how small these VRMs real are . I bet I could fit 3 of them across my thumbnail so all this claim Asrock is doing on 12 VRMs I gotta wonder if it is all that good ?
    Anyway The sabertooth is running better but I am still at a quandry on what to do on a AMD board seeing I cant find a gigabyte 4.0
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Not sure where to get the rev. 4.0 yet. Mine is doing fine and temps are great.