Troubleshooting a GTX 480

Okay...

It's 3 AM on a Thursday. I just had my night go from alright-but-stressful-in-a-good-way to really bad. In the middle of a game, I disconnected. My screens still worked but I couldn't reconnect to the game. "Alright, so I'll try a few more times". Other things stopped connecting. It looked like a network outage. I had someone else ping the server, the server was up.

Exasperated by this odd-as-heck network behavior, I rebooted and went and got something to drink.

Then I came back.

My monitors were in standby. I wiggled my mouse.

No response.

I hit the reset button. I heard the Windows chime. Again the monitors were in standby.

...so I take one of my two monitors and hooked it up to my second GPU - I ran a SLI setup - and the monitor on the second GPU worked.

No response on the first. I booted into windows, went to the Nvidia control panel - it was gone.

Kaput. No response. The fan spins up, however.

The last change I did with this system was cleaning it with compressed air a few days ago but everything worked afterwords. About a week ago I had a single incident while at idle where my screen froze and an odd pattern appeared across both monitors. I could not replicate this via torture tests to my CPU and GPUs no matter how I tried.

So I removed the card from my system for a 24 hour cool-down/to give me time to think and rejoined my party in the game I was playing, while digging through PNY's RMA site. I need to verify that this is the GPU and not my motherboard or PSU. I planned on switching slots and switching power cords. Are there any other things I need to try? (Cleaning contacts, cleaning the slots, etc?)

Has anyone dealt with RMAs with PNY before? Will they make me jump through hoops or anything?
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: Troubleshooting a GTX 480

SLI? Start with one graphics card. Then try the other GFX in the same slot. Try each in turn in the second slot. Then try both cards, but not in SLI. Finally, try SLI. Last time I had something similar though, it was the RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    SLI? Start with one graphics card. Then try the other GFX in the same slot. Try each in turn in the second slot. Then try both cards, but not in SLI. Finally, try SLI. Last time I had something similar though, it was the RAM.
    Seems like solid advice, this is what I'd do

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Actually, I intended to run memtest because of the issue, but I ran out of time. That would be hilarious, sort of, if my RAM was dead and making a card ghost.

What's wild is it didn't just 'vanish' from my system all at once, my game (Guild Wars 2) just disconnected. AIM/MSN/etc disconnected. The monitors were still on. It wasn't until after rebooting that the graphics card engaged its cloaking device and started ignoring me.

I'll be doing a thorough test to eliminate the slot/mobo as well, pretty much exactly what Meridian suggested, and commandeering my brother's system to test the card in a different system!
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.