Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

http://vr-zone.com/articles/hold-for...#ixzz2bC74xy5L

The Bulldozer core was the last straw.

Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    http://vr-zone.com/articles/hold-for...#ixzz2bC74xy5L

The Bulldozer core was the last straw.
    I'm honestly not sure what will become of AMD anymore really. I will say that Faildozer was the last straw for me personally. I waited and waited to upgrade my computer back then in the hopes that Bulldozer would at least be somewhat competitive with what Intel had at the time. Imagine how amused I was to find out it was barely competitive with what AMD itself had out at the time!

I really hope AMD doesn't turn into the next Cyrix.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what will become of AMD anymore really. I will say that Faildozer was the last straw for me personally. I waited and waited to upgrade my computer back then in the hopes that Bulldozer would at least be somewhat competitive with what Intel had at the time. Imagine how amused I was to find out it was barely competitive with what AMD itself had out at the time!

I really hope AMD doesn't turn into the next Cyrix.
    I think they'll be better than Cyrix in that they'll still exist making low to mid range chips for things like game consoles and cheap computers.

Their new CEO alluded to this sort of thing from the start, my guess is the Vishera was the last part they basically had "done" when Read took over and announced they were going to stop fighting the losing battle against intel.
    Last edited by jethro; 08-07-2013 at 02:03 PM.

somehow I dought amd will just throw in the towel on high end cpus just yet so stay tuned , bet they will change their mind down the road
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

That AMD is throwing in the towel is VR-zone's implication, but I doubt its actually the case. Firstly, the smaller chips (Kavieri et al) are simply scaled down versions of the bigger chips, with fewer of the same cores. As long as development in that area continues, there should still be some movement up the food chain into the higher-end chips. I'd also guess that unless AMD means to completely give up the server market that there will still be some large core development work going on. Obviously this whole "bulldozer" direction has been pretty disastrous for them, but I don't think it necessarily means they'll take themselves out of the game completely.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    That AMD is throwing in the towel is VR-zone's implication, but I doubt its actually the case. Firstly, the smaller chips (Kavieri et al) are simply scaled down versions of the bigger chips, with fewer of the same cores. As long as development in that area continues, there should still be some movement up the food chain into the higher-end chips. I'd also guess that unless AMD means to completely give up the server market that there will still be some large core development work going on. Obviously this whole "bulldozer" direction has been pretty disastrous for them, but I don't think it necessarily means they'll take themselves out of the game completely.
    Well, they did win that one BF3 benchmark...
    ;-)

I don't doubt this because Rory Read said it a while ago, and I think he's smart enough to realize what they've been doing (trying to catch up to years old intel high end) is a fools errand. He probably realizes the company he heads simply doesn't have the resources to compete with intel at the high end and knows survival of firm lies in other directions.

At the end of the day, making a profit is job one at a firm, not staying old courses.

And VR Zone has OEM documents from them stating this, so the only possibilities are:
    A. AMD is trying to flush out a leak. (and failing)
    B. The info is true.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Ohh plz, total horse shit.
    WIth all those consoles and maybe macs gonna be using AMD their profits will go up.
    And to think they wont make high end cpus anymore, no comment....
    What you think they are going to base their market on trinitys and semprons? Please give me a break

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Ohh plz, total horse shit.
    WIth all those consoles and maybe macs gonna be using AMD their profits will go up.
    And to think they wont make high end cpus anymore, no comment....
    What you think they are going to base their market on trinitys and semprons? Please give me a break
    Maybe you should take it up with VR Zone Poci, they're the ones with the leaked AMD documents.

I think they're going to make chips like the ones they put in consoles and sell them to consoles, netbooks, cheapie pcs.

Know why I think that?

Their CEO told the world this back in 2011/2012:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5503/u...ew-direction/2

The days of AMD chasing Intel for the high-end desktop market are done though. That war is officially over.
    Basically, Bulldozer was out, Vishera/Steamroller variants well underway, the only real question is if they will launch Steamroller. They've lost almost all of the desktop market due to higher power with lower performance, so I can believe this leak pretty easily.

You FX8350 might be a collectors item Poci, the swan song of AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post

Basically, Bulldozer was out, Vishera/Steamroller variants well underway, the only real question is if they will launch Steamroller. They've lost almost all of the desktop market due to higher power with lower performance, so I can believe this leak pretty easily.

You FX8350 might be a collectors item Poci, the swan song of AMD.
    Yet again I prove you wrong Mr "modded NVidia forums and thinks he knows it all"

Steamroller was simply delayed, of course it will be realeased, current FXs are not the end for high end amd

Every friggen year when new chips come out I hear the same horseshit from people like you, and guesss what? Your always wrong

They did not lost much of the desktop market. Listen pal I have worked both as techie and retail computer sales. Believe it or not the majority sales are low end basic computers that are AMD powered. Now this is of course n00b computers that come from OEMs, but if you want to talk niche enthusiast market, AMDs percentage is even higher there since those in the know realize that Intel is not worth the money, Ill regurgitate a little, you claimed in another thread that its just a 40 dollar difference between that Haswell and an 8350, yet Ill repeat myself, the motherboard is also going to cost more. Add those 2 things and with the money you could save by going AMD you can put that cash towards better video, I rest my case.. You modding an NVidia forums is light years away from my knowledge.

Btw, if you think higher power made them lose market share, uhh no comment, its ludicrous......
    Its funny cause when A64 came out that was much better then Pentium 4 intel still had more marketshare due to its brand name hype. I rest my case.
    Last edited by Poci; 08-08-2013 at 05:47 AM.

This is sort of depressing news really. Winter will be here before we know it and my garage will be cold again. Why go out and buy a cheap space heater when AMD's next high end chip will probably use 500 watts of power when overclocked. Can you work to find a cure for cancer AND heat my garage Intel? Yeah, that's what I thought!

If your gonna let heat discourage you from buying AMD then your mixed up.
    The only time you will notice this furnace is at extreme load with prime or OCCT.

Average use and even gaming it does not heatup that much.

In any case if you want to talk about heaters, I remember in 04 when P4s were the best room heaters for a cold house ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    If your gonna let heat discourage you from buying AMD then your mixed up.
    The only time you will notice this furnace is at extreme load with prime or OCCT.

Average use and even gaming it does not heatup that much.

In any case if you want to talk about heaters, I remember in 04 when P4s were the best room heaters for a cold house ever!!!
    Ivy Bridge is not all that chilly under load . I am running a massive HS and under prime 95 I can hit 69 deg C,at 1.2 V use a stock HS and one could get 85 Deg C . IMO that that is not all that chilly
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Ivy Bridge is not all that chilly under load . I am running a massive HS and under prime 95 I can hit 69 deg C,at 1.2 V use a stock HS and one could get 85 Deg C . IMO that that is not all that chilly
    Thank you, Intels heat up too, something I already know but Jethro seems to not know and criticizes amd due to that.

An 8350 pulls 334 watts at load with a mandatory (imo) OC. The 4670 while overclocked otoh only pulls 162. No matter how much you love AMD you have to admit that's a Hell of a lot more heat to deal with. It's pretty sad to see that even a 2600k that came out in January of 2011 uses 15% less at OC load than AMD's latest and greatest. My personal results with a 2600k running at 4.6ghz using a Corsair H100 cooler get about 62C via Prime 95. Most other programs that put it at 100% load never get it above 60C, and this is with the fans on medium.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...l-cpu-review/6

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    An 8350 pulls 334 watts at load with a mandatory (imo) OC. The 4670 while overclocked otoh only pulls 162. No matter how much you love AMD you have to admit that's a Hell of a lot more heat to deal with. It's pretty sad to see that even a 2600k that came out in January of 2011 uses 15% less at OC load than AMD's latest and greatest. My personal results with a 2600k running at 4.6ghz using a Corsair H100 cooler get about 62C via Prime 95. Most other programs that put it at 100% load never get it above 60C, and this is with the fans on medium.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/201...l-cpu-review/6
    334W oced so what, that in no way should discourage anything, as long as you have good cooling your good to go. Of course and a decent PSU