Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yes cause less then 10 fps in BF4 alpha benchmark compared to a 3960x is what most ppl demand....

Still waiting for you to justify the 800$ price difference for a mere 10 fps more.....

In any case spending 200 bucks on this 8350 is wisely, are you still going to deny that AMD cost performance ratio is superior despite your gazzilion benchmarks showing better intel performance? We all know that already, but yet again, why don't you post charts with price performance ratio? huh?
    You keep picking the CPU at the top of the Intel range, which is always an absurdly priced EE edition chip, and comparing it to an AMD chip thats not even in an equivalent position within AMD's own product stack. If you want to compare apples to apples, you have to pick that absurd AMD 9590 chip, which costs $900. For the extra $150 I'd pick the stupidly priced intel over the even more stupidly priced AMD chip every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Now, if you ever want to stop deluding yourself with these red herring arguments, you'll compare the 8350 to the 3930K, 4770k, and 4670k all of which are the real competition for the 8350 and offer much saner price points than the EE that we already know is stupidly overpriced.

And while we're at it... 10FPS is pretty huge these days when you're comparing differences in CPUs for gaming.
    You are mistaken, if its one game the 8350s and even Phenom 2s shine in is Frostbite engine that battlefield uses.
    Just go look at the benchmark thread in gaming section, 8350 comes in 4th place with only the highest end 6 core intels beating it by a mere less then 10 fps and on par with a 2600 and 2500k.

Yet again is that not price performance ratio? In any case since you guys love benchies so much go look at charts of price performance ratio for ALL amd chips.
    His point was that the 8350 doesn't offer the best value out of AMD's chips. For $40 (or 20%) less you can get an 8150 that performs almost the same as the 8350.

And (yet) again, buying a CPU over another based on a single benchmark is foolish. Intel's mid-range i5 chips offer much better performance across a much broader set of programs and conditions than any of AMD's chips at the exact same price points.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    You keep picking the CPU at the top of the Intel range, which is always an absurdly priced EE edition chip, and comparing it to an AMD chip thats not even in an equivalent position within AMD's own product stack. If you want to compare apples to apples, you have to pick that absurd AMD 9590 chip, which costs $900. For the extra $150 I'd pick the stupidly priced intel over the even more stupidly priced AMD chip every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Now, if you ever want to stop deluding yourself with these red herring arguments, you'll compare the 8350 to the 3930K, 4770k, and 4670k all of which are the real competition for the 8350 and offer much saner price points than the EE that we already know is stupidly overpriced.

And while we're at it... 10FPS is pretty huge these days when you're comparing differences in CPUs for gaming.

His point was that the 8350 doesn't offer the best value out of AMD's chips. For $40 (or 20%) less you can get an 8150 that performs almost the same as the 8350.

And (yet) again, buying a CPU over another based on a single benchmark is foolish. Intel's mid-range i5 chips offer much better performance across a much broader set of programs and conditions than any of AMD's chips at the exact same price points.
    You think im being absurd? If anything intel should be worried that a 200 $ chip.
    Is only 10 fps lower then its top of the line chip. Or are u missing my point?

Also the reason I mention bf3 and 4 is cause thats one of the most popular games with one of the most advanced engines. Only engine that I see more demanding is glacier engine in hitman, which btw has built in scripted benchmark. But im going to guess that bf4 will be even more demanding since Dice said bf3 only uses about 20% of frostbite potential while bf4 will use 80%. Go figure
    Last edited by Poci; 08-27-2013 at 02:33 PM.

You think im being absurd? If anything intel should be worried that a 200 $ chip.
    Is only 10 fps lower then its top of the line chip. Or are u missing my point?
    No. You are missing mine. The point is that Intel makes a $1000 chip because idiots with more money than sense are willing to pay a stupid premium for the "best of the best". It has been this way since the beginning of time. Go back and look at what AMD was charging for the FX -57 (Hint: it was over $1000 while the mid-range A64's could be had for $100-200) Neither AMD nor Intel have ever worried about the fact that mid-range chips approach the $1000 idiot chips because they're halo products, and theres always a diminishing return. Comparing the mid-range chips to those chips and claiming some kind of victory is completely pointless because I can do the exact same thing with Intel's $200 i5's vs the $900 FX 9590. Get it yet?

Trust me, I do science

Overclocked performance is all I ever care about and Intel is leaps ahead of AMD now in that area. Both in the performance itself and power savings, which translates to less heat for your system.

No. You are missing mine. The point is that Intel makes a $1000 chip because idiots with more money than sense are willing to pay a stupid premium for the "best of the best". It has been this way since the beginning of time. Go back and look at what AMD was charging for the FX -57 (Hint: it was over $1000 while the mid-range A64's could be had for $100-200) Neither AMD nor Intel have ever worried about the fact that mid-range chips approach the $1000 idiot chips because they're halo products, and theres always a diminishing return. Comparing the mid-range chips to those chips and claiming some kind of victory is completely pointless because I can do the exact same thing with Intel's $200 i5's vs the $900 FX 9590. Get it yet?
    Yes of course I get your point. But were not comparing apples to oranges like you said I was. The 8350 is the top of the line for AMD while the 1000$ intels are the top of the line for intel. I understand what your trying to say when it comes to price.

Yet again ever hear the saying "to each according to his ability and to each according to his needs" ?
    And since the 8350 performs great in Battlefield I need it. That's all I play is battlefield, only other game I have installed right now is Hitman Absolution which may I add rapes your system more then BF3, not as CPU intensive but very GPU intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Overclocked performance is all I ever care about and Intel is leaps ahead of AMD now in that area. Both in the performance itself and power savings, which translates to less heat for your system.
    That's my only gripe with this chip is that it heats up a lot. My old 1065T was running near 4 ghz @ 1.5v and temps never went above 40 degrees. With this thing Im in mid 50s oced and mid 40s at defaults.

Yes of course I get your point. But were not comparing apples to oranges like you said I was. The 8350 is the top of the line for AMD while the 1000$ intels are the top of the line for intel. I understand what your trying to say when it comes to price.
    Except its not... that was part of my point. You keep ignoring the 9590 and pretending that, even as we discuss this, AMD is not selling a pointless chip for which the pricing has no grounding in reality.

Trust me, I do science

Yet again ever hear the saying "to each according to his ability and to each according to his needs" ?
    And since the 8350 performs great in Battlefield I need it. That's all I play is battlefield, only other game I have installed right now is Hitman Absolution which may I add rapes your system more then BF3, not as CPU intensive but very GPU intensive.

That's my only gripe with this chip is that it heats up a lot. My old 1065T was running near 4 ghz @ 1.5v and temps never went above 40 degrees. With this thing Im in mid 50s oced and mid 40s at defaults.
    Those temps aren't bad imo Poci.

More evidence AMD is abandoning AM3 and non APU chips:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130826PD216.html

AMD has recently updated its product roadmap and is set to release its Hawaii-based GPUs at the end of September, Kaveri-based APUs for the high-end segment and Kabini-based APUs for the entry-level segment in the first quarter of 2014, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.....AMD's FM1 and AM3 sockets will start phasing out in mid-2013 and the end of 2013, respectively. By the end of 2013, Socket AM3+ processors will account for 30% of AMD's total processor shipments, while Socket FM2-based processors will account for the remaining 70%.
    The end of an era. Adios AMD in the computer gaming market.

Except its not... that was part of my point. You keep ignoring the 9590 and pretending that, even as we discuss this, AMD is not selling a pointless chip for which the pricing has no grounding in reality.
    I ignore the 9590 cause it is overpriced, in any case they dropped the price to 400 bucks. That's still 600 cheaper then the 3900 series from intel.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    More evidence AMD is abandoning AM3 and non APU chips:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130826PD216.html

The end of an era. Adios AMD in the computer gaming market.
    Means nothing. They always said steamroller would use new socket so them giving up on AM3+ probably means they are focusing on new socket for steamroller

I ignore the 9590 cause it is overpriced, in any case they dropped the price to 400 bucks. That's still 600 cheaper then the 3900 series from intel.
    Still $880 at Newegg. The reviews are pretty damning there too.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Still $880 at Newegg. The reviews are pretty damning there too.
    Ryan posted article on front page showing price drop ib england. Same will happen here

Don't you think ignoring the AMD processor thats woefully overpriced while repeatedly using the overpriced Intel as your point of comparison is maybe a little completely hypocritical? And you wonder why people here keep "trolling" you

Trust me, I do science

Don't you think ignoring the AMD processor thats woefully overpriced while repeatedly using the overpriced Intel as your point of comparison is maybe a little completely hypocritical? And you wonder why people here keep "trolling" you
    No its not hypocritical. I will tell you that it was a poor marketing decision for AMD to price the 5ghz vishera at near 900$

I still emphasize on the 8350 which is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better value. And that has been my point from the beginning that the price performance ratio and value of AMD is superior.

I still emphasize on the 8350 which is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better value. And that has been my point from the beginning that the price performance ratio and value of AMD is superior.
    Than the $1000 Intel? You don't say... Do the analysis against the $200 i5 and the price performance ratio of the 8350 is not better with the *possible* exception of BF3.

Trust me, I do science

Than the $1000 Intel? You don't say... Do the analysis against the $200 i5 and the price performance ratio of the 8350 is not better with the *possible* exception of BF3.
    Exactly.