Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 256
  1. #16
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    You really are delusional, aren't you.
    How is that being delusional? Intel did indeed get the performance crown back with core 2s. In fact it reminds me of now, everyone was saying how much Phenom competition for the core2s blahblah AMD go out of business blah blah.
    Did it happen? No I don't think so.
    Its not delusional its being realistic and being able to see past mere synthetic benchies.

    And Kev, I consider that an insult, I can report you but I wont. I got an infraction over this amd intel shit after I was insulted. Did I say a word when I was insulted first? No. Now you are bashing me. Plz refrain from responding unless you have something contructive to say instead of trying to debate my facts.
    If anything is delusional its all you intel zealots with anal retentive attidudes who wont accept the fact that AMD is the smarter choice unless your Donald Trump....
    Last edited by Poci; 08-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.

  2. #17
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Retail pc sales?

    I was the shop coordinator at a box shop 15 years ago, before I went to work in the software industry.

    I was a member of NVIDIA's focus group for 8 years, beta testing software and hardware.

    So I know a little about tech myself. ;-)
    Software industry? Laugh, theres a saying to never let a coder touch the inside of your rig......
    Nvidia focus group yet agaijn there you go bragging about a little admin position with NVidia, still hardly qualifys you for anything we have debated.

    Beta testing? Congrats, any one can do that, heck they will even let 13 year olds beta test!!

    Im not saying you don't know about tech, what Im saying is that your typical band wagon jumper with some knowledge but misinterpret it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    You really are delusional, aren't you.
    Don't make me add you to ignore list again like I did years ago...

  3. #18
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post

    They did not lost much of the desktop market. Listen pal I have worked both as techie and retail computer sales. Believe it or not the majority sales are low end basic computers that are AMD powered.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...ith_Intel.html

    AMD’s Market Share Drops Below 17% Due to Market Conditions, Competition with Intel.
    http://www.dailytech.com/Qualcomm+Sa...ticle31594.htm

    Qualcomm, Samsung Push AMD to Fourth Place in Processor Market
    http://online.barrons.com/article/SB...157324586.html

    Intel's Decade-High Share of Eroding PC Market

    Intel has taken share from AMD for the fourth straight quarter.
    Poci, you need to quit wasting your time here and get your valuable knowledge from PC department at Best Buy out to the rest of the world.

    Everybody thinks AMD is only selling 15% of the CPUs, if they knew AMD really sells most of the CPUs their stocks would probably do better and they'd stop making those pesky "Most Likely To Go Bankrupt" lists.
    Last edited by jethro; 08-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.

  4. #19
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    You think your smart don't you? Yeah I worked for idiots at Best Buy in the past, it was a job. Does that mean Im a n00b like them? Please I was already a techie before even working for them.
    And whether its BBY or not I still saw in my own eyes whats being sold, believe it or not retail stores like that are the biggest part of the market.

    Your right, I am wasting my time arguing with you. I have experience on the subject which is why I talk about it, xbit labs is for enthusiasts I don't think they understand how n00b so and so wants a 300 dollar laptop

    Everything you just posted, I ALREADY KNOW. Every year same shit, AMD stock dropping, AMD sales dropping blahblahblah. Geniuses like you predicting their fall, hasn't happened yet. As for going back to the debate on whether they can compete performancewise I never denied intel is faster atm in most benches. The question is, is the difference in price worth it? Also the games and appz you use will they take advantage of an 8 core? Those are things to take into consideration.

    So yet again if your going to belittle me and try and discredit me cause I worked for BBY idiots years ago that's not fair. I was already ripping apart computers in 99 and then got a vocational techie degree, was doing pencil trick on Tbirds and Durons. I didn't start sales in retail till about 2007. In fact I did so well with the sales due to my hardware knowledge. Now sit down.

  5. #20
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    380

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    AM3+ has been a dead end for years, but AMD hasn't fessed up to it even yet. They really meant it when they said "the future is fusion". Not sure why AMD has not pulled the plug yet on AM3+, as they haven't updated the platform since 890FX days really. I think Steamroller/Kaveri is going to be interesting though. It looks like it will keep up nicely at its price range (probably not much different from current Richland parts at $150 for top end), and the full integration of HSA will be a boon for software that supports it. I think when AMD goes 22/20 nm we will see full 4 module Steamroller parts with GCN that will start pushing back up into the higher performance range. AMD isn't dead, they just are getting away from the large CPUs without graphics.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

  6. #21
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    AM3+ has been a dead end for years, but AMD hasn't fessed up to it even yet. They really meant it when they said "the future is fusion". Not sure why AMD has not pulled the plug yet on AM3+, as they haven't updated the platform since 890FX days really. I think Steamroller/Kaveri is going to be interesting though. It looks like it will keep up nicely at its price range (probably not much different from current Richland parts at $150 for top end), and the full integration of HSA will be a boon for software that supports it. I think when AMD goes 22/20 nm we will see full 4 module Steamroller parts with GCN that will start pushing back up into the higher performance range. AMD isn't dead, they just are getting away from the large CPUs without graphics.
    Hmm, so your saying we will be stuck with APUs only.
    Sorry Josh with this Im going to have to disagree, well more like I don't believe it.

    Steamroller will make me decide.

  7. #22
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    380

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    I wouldn't say that we will be "stuck" with APUs. I actually like the idea of APUs and believe that heterogeneous computing has some real merits. So, let's say we have a 4 module 20 nm next gen core with GCN 2.0. It handles the traditional x86/x87 loads while the graphics portion handles OpenCL/GPGPU, all the while allowing your graphics card to just do high end graphics instead of context switching between workloads.

    Look at what AMD is doing in the low power server market with their APUs. I would imagine that we will see these products inching up into the more traditional server spaces as the big CPU cores start getting phased out. HSA architectures will benefit HPC once software development becomes more mature and widespread.

    It seems to me that we are at the beginning of the tipping point for where CPUs/APUs are moving. Even look at Intel with their latest Iris graphics and what they are doing there. I'm not opposed to being stuck with APUs, but we really won't see their overall performance benefit for a little while. Again, 20 nm looks to be where AMD will get some of their high end mojo back.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

  8. #23
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    I wouldn't say that we will be "stuck" with APUs. I actually like the idea of APUs and believe that heterogeneous computing has some real merits. So, let's say we have a 4 module 20 nm next gen core with GCN 2.0. It handles the traditional x86/x87 loads while the graphics portion handles OpenCL/GPGPU, all the while allowing your graphics card to just do high end graphics instead of context switching between workloads.

    Look at what AMD is doing in the low power server market with their APUs. I would imagine that we will see these products inching up into the more traditional server spaces as the big CPU cores start getting phased out. HSA architectures will benefit HPC once software development becomes more mature and widespread.

    It seems to me that we are at the beginning of the tipping point for where CPUs/APUs are moving. Even look at Intel with their latest Iris graphics and what they are doing there. I'm not opposed to being stuck with APUs, but we really won't see their overall performance benefit for a little while. Again, 20 nm looks to be where AMD will get some of their high end mojo back.
    Yeah but concerning combining the APU with a giant graphics card. Wouldn't that be limited? Didn't you and Ryan say the richland needs like a 6670 and anything higher disables the integrated GPU?

    Now I wouldn't mind this is these new APUs are powerfull, Im talking high end gaming and that you can combine them with a discreet graphics card.
    If this is the case then I don't mind. Heck it might have forced me to join the darkside if they left us out.

  9. #24
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    You think your smart don't you?
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Yeah I worked for idiots at Best Buy in the past, it was a job. Does that mean Im a n00b like them? Please I was already a techie before even working for them.
    And whether its BBY or not I still saw in my own eyes whats being sold, believe it or not retail stores like that are the biggest part of the market.
    You misunderstand me.

    I'm not belittling you for working at Best Buy/retail, I'm belittling the position that anecdotal evidence is superior to market research as reported by the tech industry. (e.g. Mercury Research)

    In more plain language, if you work at Best Buy you're more likely to see people buying cheap AMD laptops because that's a lot of what they sell, and the population could have been skewed by the economy of the town you were in, or by things like average income of people who shop for pcs at Best Buy.

    If you worked at Alienware you'd be reporting, "Holy Cow! NO ONE buys AMD CPUs! They will go out of business!" and you'd be no more accurate.

    We need to look to research firms that look at part shipments with a much larger and more diverse population than the one store you worked at.

    Make sense Poci?

  10. #25
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    380

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    The big push with Kaveri is the full HSA implementation. Current Trinity/Richland/Kabini do not feature the full HSA feature set. The biggest advance here is the shared memory space and addresses. So the CPU and GPU portion can share pointers on what data has been worked on (in a manner of speaking). Current APUs have to have their own drivers to function, but this may not be the case for Kaveri. I am not entirely certain how AMD will handle this change, or what kind of low level OS changes are required (if they are not already in place with Win7 and Win8). But, theoretically speaking, the APU can act essentially as a single unit while a standalone graphics card can be used without breaking everything.

    I think with current APUs and Win7/8 the graphics portion can be active while having a large GPU attached. You just have to have the driver installed. I will actually test this out tonight and see what the results are and maybe run a little Luxmark on there to compare/contrast performance and if these things can still function together.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

  11. #26
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Yes.



    You misunderstand me.

    I'm not belittling you for working at Best Buy/retail, I'm belittling the position that anecdotal evidence is superior to market research as reported by the tech industry. (e.g. Mercury Research)

    In more plain language, if you work at Best Buy you're more likely to see people buying cheap AMD laptops because that's a lot of what they sell, and the population could have been skewed by the economy of the town you were in, or by things like average income of people who shop for pcs at Best Buy.

    If you worked at Alienware you'd be reporting, "Holy Cow! NO ONE buys AMD CPUs! They will go out of business!" and you'd be no more accurate.

    We need to look to research firms that look at part shipments with a much larger and more diverse population than the one store you worked at.

    Make sense Poci?
    Has nothing to do with average income, BBY is visited by all social classes and ethnicitys. I happened to work in the #1 store of the company 5 years ago, and PC department was the busiest, we got customers from everywhere, many tourists. They of course bought most of the cheap ones, but americans who weren't looking for a 0.5 pound thin notebook were fine with AMD after I explained it to them. Did some of them heatup too much? and then get returned? Yes, but I blame the OEM poor cooling layout more then the CPU for that. So this was not one little store, this was the money maker for BBY corporate and I was their star in sales, so good in fact that they didn't want me to go to geek squad, they left me dealing with customers cause all I did was talk and figured if they put me doing geek work they would lose money. And its funny, the geeks themselves would come up to me with tech questions if they were lost.

    As for Alienware, they are an OEM and for a niche market may I add, not to mention im sure intel gave them some sort of incentive not to use AMD. Either that or if Dell still owns alienware then that's the reason, but last I heard dells are using AMDs again.

  12. #27
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    15 years ago dealing with old very old parts does not qualify you to talk about current hardware..... Plus Im sure you didn't have hundreds of customers a day with dozens of rigs going out the door.... Or are you going to tell me they all bought Intel? Because a little after that in late 90s AMD pwned hands down with Tbirds, later on with A64 the table turned completely and intel could not match AMD in any way.
    I rest my case.
    Intel got the crown back with core 2s, but yet again, all synthetic benchmarks.
    Real world performance is different, I remember when FX first came out ppl were complaining that its barely better then a thuban, yet again these conclusions were drawn from benchies. Which may I add were exaggerated. Because if you really want to compare an FX to a Thuban I can tell you from experience that the FX is much better. in fact I didn't expect much of an improvement due to stupid benches from idiots like toms. Upon playing BF3 that changed my mind, as well as general windows snappiness was much better.

    You intel zealots are like lawyers in their 1st year trying to convince n00b feeble minded jurys of something. A good lawyer will point out the irrelevance and how you only say what you want them to hear.

    For hardcore old school gamers we will stick with AMD, we know the truth
    Nice post. Couldn't agree more. I'm still using a Tbird processor in my secondary computer, and I just bought an FX 6300 for my primary rig. You get all these Intel fanboys on here and they stink up the place with their drivel. Truth be told even though AMD isn't top dog right now in terms of the superior processor these days... AMD is in a good place financially with their presence in next gen consoles, Kaveri,their gpu's and the mobile market. All people see is top chip vs. top chip.

  13. #28
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Upyourbucket View Post
    Nice post. Couldn't agree more. I'm still using a Tbird processor in my secondary computer, and I just bought an FX 6300 for my primary rig. You get all these Intel fanboys on here and they stink up the place with their drivel. Truth be told even though AMD isn't top dog right now in terms of the superior processor these days... AMD is in a good place financially with their presence in next gen consoles, Kaveri,their gpu's and the mobile market. All people see is top chip vs. top chip.
    LOL

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6690/a...wards-the-next

    For the quarter ending on December 29th, 2012, on a GAAP basis AMD booked $1.16B in revenue, with a net loss of $473M
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/18/a...2013-earnings/

    AMD Q1 2013 earnings: softer $146 million net loss
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/a...-next-quarter/

    AMD Q2 2013 earnings: net loss of $74 million
    Oh, I see what you mean! They've only lost $850,000,000.00 over the last four quarters, they are kicking ass and taking names! "intel fanboys" like me who foolishly worship the parts that are superior in process, design, performance, power consumption, platform, and priced about the same will be swept aside in their holy fire as AMD:

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6690/a...wards-the-next

    For AMD in particular it also marks the end of what has been a rough year for the company, as they continue to work on a gradual reorganization that will see the company’s focus shift to ultra low power client devices, semi-custom SoCs and dense servers through 2014.
    Does exactly what the thread title says: gives up on the high end because they know they can't compete in that market.

    Will be amusing when all they're making is APUs and you AMD fans are posting, "Well, they may be weak for about everything else, but Xbox 1 game X runs pretty good on it and they only cost $100!".

    And that is exactly where we're headed my friend.

  14. #29
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end



    Hear that?

    That's the sound of the 5% of the PC gaming market AMD has left buying a Haswell for Christmas this year as they realize Vishera was it for AMD in the gaming desktop market.

  15. #30
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Upyourbucket View Post
    Nice post. Couldn't agree more. I'm still using a Tbird processor in my secondary computer, and I just bought an FX 6300 for my primary rig. You get all these Intel fanboys on here and they stink up the place with their drivel. Truth be told even though AMD isn't top dog right now in terms of the superior processor these days... AMD is in a good place financially with their presence in next gen consoles, Kaveri,their gpu's and the mobile market. All people see is top chip vs. top chip.
    Exactly, IF by any chance AMD were in danger of falling under the next gen consoles will save them, even though I despise consoles I think its a good thing they will be AMD powered. And if the next series are gonna be super duper APUs, then I don't mind as long as I can add a beefy video card.

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    LOL

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6690/a...wards-the-next



    http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/18/a...2013-earnings/



    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/18/a...-next-quarter/



    Oh, I see what you mean! They've only lost $850,000,000.00 over the last four quarters, they are kicking ass and taking names! "intel fanboys" like me who foolishly worship the parts that are superior in process, design, performance, power consumption, platform, and priced about the same will be swept aside in their holy fire as AMD:

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6690/a...wards-the-next



    Does exactly what the thread title says: gives up on the high end because they know they can't compete in that market.

    Will be amusing when all they're making is APUs and you AMD fans are posting, "Well, they may be weak for about everything else, but Xbox 1 game X runs pretty good on it and they only cost $100!".

    And that is exactly where we're headed my friend.
    X box 1?...........

    You know the new xbox is gonna be 8 core amd right? Not a monster like an 8350 cause its clocked at 1.8 I think, codename Jaguar if im not mistaken.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •