Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 256
  1. #31
    Joined
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    380

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Eh, we are getting to the point where fast chips that handle many, many threads are becoming commodity items. I wouldn't call someone who bought a FX 8350 or 6350 for gaming is getting cheated out of anything. They are solid products for their price range, and really the only significant downside is that they will pull more power and produce more heat than Ivy Bridge or Haswell (unless of course you start really overclocking Haswell...). If I had my druthers... AMD would have updated the 990FX with the A85X southbridge/MCH. I think that would have given the platform a nice boost.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

  2. #32
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    Eh, we are getting to the point where fast chips that handle many, many threads are becoming commodity items. I wouldn't call someone who bought a FX 8350 or 6350 for gaming is getting cheated out of anything. They are solid products for their price range, and really the only significant downside is that they will pull more power and produce more heat than Ivy Bridge or Haswell (unless of course you start really overclocking Haswell...). If I had my druthers... AMD would have updated the 990FX with the A85X southbridge/MCH. I think that would have given the platform a nice boost.
    Yup, but I don't think the current southbridge on 990 boards is bad at all. As for power consumption, I only notice heat when running stress tests, not that much heat during BF3, and in windows it doesn't even get warm. But like I said I really could care less about power, TDP is much more important and that's what we have good coolers for. Im selling my 620 because Im not happy with the replacement Antect sent me. So once I save some money I think im gonna get the cooler master seidon 240mm. Its cheaper then the corsair H100 and is just as good.

  3. #33
    Joined
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,358

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMST View Post
    I wouldn't call someone who bought a FX 8350 or 6350 for gaming is getting cheated out of anything. They are solid products for their price range, and really the only significant downside is that they will pull more power and produce more heat than Ivy Bridge or Haswell (unless of course you start really overclocking Haswell...).
    This I can agree with.

    Quote Originally Posted by Upyourbucket View Post
    AMD is in a good place financially with their presence in next gen consoles, Kaveri,their gpu's and the mobile market. All people see is top chip vs. top chip.
    This I can agree with partly although I'd replace 'good place' with 'able to survive', I think the next gen consoles are extremely important for AMD. Unfortunately Kaveri is going to be delayed, it seems.

  4. #34
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post


    X box 1?...........

    You know the new xbox is gonna be 8 core amd right? Not a monster like an 8350 cause its clocked at 1.8 I think, codename Jaguar if im not mistaken.
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...ts-7-Zip-and-V

    So here's the 4GHz "monster" getting whupped at zip and source by a four core intel chip, two apps that can use multithreading.

    So you think the lower speed Jaguars etc are going to somehow magically compete with intel's best, and that people will stop paying $300 for intel cpus to use much slower AMD ones?

    Sure. Just like they are now, all 15% of them.

    AMD will sell their consoles, and cheapie PCs, but in the high end:


  5. #35
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Process...ts-7-Zip-and-V

    So here's the 4GHz "monster" getting whupped at zip and source by a four core intel chip, two apps that can use multithreading.

    So you think the lower speed Jaguars etc are going to somehow magically compete with intel's best, and that people will stop paying $300 for intel cpus to use much slower AMD ones?

    Sure. Just like they are now, all 15% of them.

    AMD will sell their consoles, and cheapie PCs, but in the high end:

    Its not their consoles. In fact if anything they will make a huge profit from console companys putting AMD chips in their boxes.

    As far as your new benchies, meh, I already new 7 zip the 8350 loses. As for the valve test it is yet to be determined if the command line cvar was input to use 8 cores.

    Please stop benchies to try and prove something, they are synthetic and do not equate to real world performance, in any case like I said, BF3 matters and that's where AMD shines matching intels best. I don't care if you say theres a million more games. I can assure you that all major titles will be moving towards more threads. Latest COD even implemented it, which in fact if im not mistaken visheras did pretty well in that bench, but I could care less about COD. I care about Battlefield and that's the main reason I got this chip, the performance difference is very noticeable compared to old thuban I had. At time of realease everyone was saying its barely better then a thuban. That of course is due to 80% of benchmarks showing poor results. But you know what its like driving a car, till you test drive then talk. Im more then happy with my upgrade. And like I said despite intels advantage in the majority of benches, the question is, do you need that performance, imho its overkill, once you load a game for the night and play @1080p or above you wont notice the difference, which is why I repeat, get better video by going AMD. Also in video editing, look at cinebench scores, the 8350 shines there too.
    You mention 300$ intel chips, that's 100$ more then an 8350, add the extra price a z87 would cost compared to a 970 or even 990 and its even more expensive, I would estimate an almost 150$ difference. With 150$ to add for video or SSD or whatever else you might want is a valid point.
    In the end, im not debating just cause im an amd fanboy (and I am a fanboi because I refuse to use intel for political reasons, they fund the military industrial complex in case you didn't know and deserve to have 100 soviet T-90 tanks anhialate their fabs.) anyways I have said from begning that Op that was looking to build new rig would be better off with AMD since he wants price and upgradebility and performance. Out of those 3 issues intel only wins on 1 which is performance, but price? Come on, It should take me 3 min to show the charts of an FX astronomically beating any intel in price performance ratio. And when it comes to upgradeability.... ohh yeah, new intel sockets every 18 months..... Moores law at its best, but AMD does it better buy allowing new architectures on same sockets.

    And yes you are right on one thing, AMD will sell the consoles and "cheapie" PCs, like I said, that's the majority of the market. As for the high end I will continue to buy their high end products.

    In fact lets do this, once I get my new cooling for CPU and try and get beyond 5ghz on this chip, lets me and you do some benches comparisons. What chip do you have?
    Last edited by Poci; 08-09-2013 at 05:55 PM.

  6. #36
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    The problem with delusional people is, that they have no idea that they're delusional. Poci, I've been around the forums for a long time and I have to say that you my AMD friend are delusional with a capital delusional. I don't mean to offend man, but you've officially amazed me which is not easy to do. You blindly deny anything negative about AMD. That is not good. Means something is wrong.
    Member of Nvidia Focus Group
    NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
    to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

  7. #37
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
    The problem with delusional people is, that they have no idea that they're delusional. Poci, I've been around the forums for a long time and I have to say that you my AMD friend are delusional with a capital delusional. I don't mean to offend man, but you've officially amazed me which is not easy to do. You blindly deny anything negative about AMD. That is not good. Means something is wrong.
    No I don't blindly deny anything negative about AMD. Truth is those are exagerations and not showing the whole picture. I am not delusional I am realistic and have a point.

  8. #38
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    "The problem with delusional people is, that they have no idea that they're delusional."

    I know, I know. It's like a Paradox. I feel for you man I would not want to be in those shoes.
    Member of Nvidia Focus Group
    NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
    to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

  9. #39
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Ok since you want to label me as delusional please point out some of my delusions.
    Ill have a nice laugh.

    Unless you fail at reading comprehencion as well.

    Btw with 5 posts you sure are qualified to criticize me.....

  10. #40
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Ok since you want to label me as delusional please point out some of my delusions.
    Ill have a nice laugh.

    Unless you fail at reading comprehencion as well.

    Btw with 5 posts you sure are qualified to criticize me.....
    Almost everything you post. That is why I'm so thoroughly amazed. And like I said, it's kind of like a Paradox. I can't show you something that you're pre-determined to deny. Un-possible. I'll leave you with that.
    Member of Nvidia Focus Group
    NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
    to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

  11. #41
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
    Almost everything you post. That is why I'm so thoroughly amazed. And like I said, it's kind of like a Paradox. I can't show you something that you're pre-determined to deny. Un-possible. I'll leave you with that.
    Untill you can prove anything I said as delusional then talk.

    Now if your saying EVERYTHING I said is delusional then Im sorry but you need to brush up on your hardware knowledge instead of looking at benchmarks

  12. #42
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Its not their consoles. In fact if anything they will make a huge profit from console companys putting AMD chips in their boxes.
    AMD has had two of the three console chips for the last 8 years or so. They lose over $100,000,000.00 per quarter selling 2/3 of the chips, now they'll make huge profits. That doesn't add up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    As far as your new benchies, meh, I already new 7 zip the 8350 loses. As for the valve test it is yet to be determined if the command line cvar was input to use 8 cores.
    You were the one who told me Source is multithreaded. Now you're saying it's not known if it is?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Please stop benchies to try and prove something, they are synthetic and do not equate to real world performance, in any case like I said, BF3 matters and that's where AMD shines matching intels best.
    1. If they only match intel at BF3, why would anyone buy AMD?
    2. I own BF3 and have never played it. Soldier games are boring to me.
    3. BF3 is two years old. Even for people who like soldier games, it may not be what matters.
    4. You ignore one of the more key genres for CPUs in gaming: the huge RTS market. RTS games are typically more CPU bound than shooters, and AMD cpus fail big at RTS.
    5. Benchmarks are scripted sequences running on game engines, performance is indicative of what a user can expect. Sites like HardOCP benchmark with FRAPs on actual gameplay, so again, you're mistaken.
    6. Almost all the benches I posted were low res, you are mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    care if you say theres a million more games. I can assure you that all major titles will be moving towards more threads. Latest COD even implemented it, which in fact if im not mistaken visheras did pretty well in that bench, but I could care less about COD. I care about Battlefield and that's the main reason I got this chip, the performance difference is very noticeable compared to old thuban I had. At time of realease everyone was saying its barely better then a thuban. t of course is due to 80% of benchmarks showing poor results.
    Why would anyone buy a CPU that showed poor results in 80% of benchmarks? Answer: No one is, except the few people left with AMD motherboards who don't want to buy a new motherboard.


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    know what its like driving a car, till you test drive then talk.
    No. If I'm buying a car and I want a fast car, I look up 0-60 and quarter mile times. In your world, you buy the slower car and say "It's fast enough".


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Im more then happy with my upgrade. And like I said despite intels advantage in the majority of benches, the question is, do you need that performance, imho its overkill,
    A better question would be "Why wouldn't you want the extra performance when intel costs the same or not much more?" A $200 3570 outperforms a $200 8350 90% of the time. On newegg, they're selling 218 socket 1155 motherboards for $44- $399.. In other words you can get a CPU that wins 90% of the benchmarks for the same price, and motherboards for the same price, I'd buy the "overkill" performance. Why would any sane person buy less performance for the same money?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    once you load a game for the night and play @1080p or above you wont notice the difference, which is why I repeat, get better video by going AMD.
    Your position is on chip video is good for 1080p gaming? Care to support it with benchmarks? As I know you can't do that, what does AMDs on chip video matter to a 1080p gamer?


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Also in video editing, look at cinebench scores, the 8350 shines there too.
    Most people don't edit video. Those who do, you think they should suffer with worse performance at about everything else to get a little faster video editing? Maybe if they do it for a living.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    You mention 300$ intel chips, that's 100$ more then an 8350, add the extra price a z87 would cost compared to a 970 or even 990 and its even more expensive, I would estimate an almost 150$ difference. With 150$ to add for video or SSD or whatever else you might want is a valid point.
    First and foremost, lots of people have real jobs and would rather spend a few extra bucks than live with bargain basement parts and make sacrifices. $150? That won't even fill up my truck and my boat at the gas station. If you're not living on a shoestring, riding the bus to work and buying your clothes at Goodwill, $150 extra on a computer isn't much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    In the end, im not debating just cause im an amd fanboy
    Yes you are. You're arguments are irrational.


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    (and I am a fanboi because I refuse to use intel for political reasons, they fund the military industrial complex in case you didn't know and deserve to have 100 soviet T-90 tanks anhialate their fabs.)
    You don't support our military? The men and women who literally give their lives so you can hang around in Best Buy tricking people to buy the wrong parts? You don't want people to have jobs producing the tools that keep us free? I don't know, maybe move to another country that has no military?

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    anyways I have said from begning that Op that was looking to build new rig would be better off with AMD since he wants price and upgradebility and performance. Out of those 3 issues intel only wins on 1 which is performance, but price? Come on, It should take me 3 min to show the charts of an FX astronomically beating any intel in price performance ratio.
    intel 3570- $200. AMD 8350- $200..


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    And when it comes to upgradeability.... ohh yeah, new intel sockets every 18 months..... Moores law at its best, but AMD does it better buy allowing new architectures on same sockets.
    The flip side is you lose the tech updates as they happen, while intel boards have them. (E.G. PCIE3)

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    And yes you are right on one thing, AMD will sell the consoles and "cheapie" PCs, like I said, that's the majority of the market. As for the high end I will continue to buy their high end products.
    You don't understand business. intel Q1 2013 profit, $2 billion dollars. AMD Q1 2013 loss $140 million dollars. First and foremost, as has been shown to you several times, intel has 85% of the processor market. So AMD isn't selling "most" anything in the PC market. Second, you should look up margin as it relates to profit. Here's an example: Lets say you are selling PCs at Best Buy and on a Saturday you sell 20 AMD PCs for $300 that contain a $50 chip AMD makes $10 on. You sell two $800 intel based PCs to "crazy rich people" that contain $300 CPUs that intel makes $150 on. Wowee! AMD is kicking butt, outselling intel 10:1 at Best Buy! Oops, AMD made $200, intel made $300.. Who won? This is why AMD has been losing money forever, low margins, low profits due to no public confidence in their chips.

    Largely earned by them, BTW, because they failed so very many times. Since Core 2 Duo launched SEVEN YEARS AGO, AMD has been playing catch up and failing. Never once since 2006 has AMD been able to say "Our CPUs are the fastest at processing". Since 2006 they've been saying "Our CPU aren't bad, you should buy the second best products because we're good guys".

    That is why they're quitting at the high end.


    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    In fact lets do this, once I get my new cooling for CPU and try and get beyond 5ghz on this chip, lets me and you do some benches comparisons. What chip do you have?
    I have a 990X and a 2500K. We could just look at the benches of the 9590? (an 8350 at 5GHz turbo) The 9590 still loses to the STOCK 2500k. (or 990X I imagine)

    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-5ghz-11.html

    Yep, even at 5GHz, beat to death, an $800+ AMD pooch cpu can't compete with intel's $200 mid range from years ago. Pathetic is what that is.
    Last edited by jethro; 08-10-2013 at 09:27 AM.

  13. #43
    Joined
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    13

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Poci, I'll send you some Aloe for them burns.
    Member of Nvidia Focus Group
    NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time
    to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.

  14. #44
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Indpls. IN.
    Posts
    7,896

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
    Poci, I'll send you some Aloe for them burns.
    better make it a case of aloe , looks like He will need it
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

  15. #45
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,823

    Re: AMD gives up making "big" CPUs, 9590 their farewell to high end

    Quote Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
    Poci, I'll send you some Aloe for them burns.
    Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    better make it a case of aloe , looks like He will need it
    This thread reminds me of the good old days here where an Intel versus AMD argument mattered far more than anything political.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •