Question about Processor

Hey guys, personally im not that smart when it comes to the innards of a computer. So a simple question i guess..
    Ive done alot of web searching to find a upgrade for my processor but ive been unable to find anything

I believe its LGA 1155 or LGA 1156.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Just looking for a overall upgrade weather its slightly or major.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: Question about Processor

Looks like a first gen i5.

Try and get a used i7 920, should be a nice upgrade also first gen but good.

No im not gonna tell you to buy AMD like most would assume, then you would need new motherboard as well.....

Cheers i shall look into that one,
    so to put it simple. thats possibly the highest processor i can go before needing a new motherboard?

my dxdiag if it helps:
    http://pastebin.com/93Uv3UQc
    Last edited by Porotto11; 08-11-2013 at 04:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Porotto11 View Post
    Hey guys, personally im not that smart when it comes to the innards of a computer. So a simple question i guess..
    Ive done alot of web searching to find a upgrade for my processor but ive been unable to find anything

I believe its LGA 1155 or LGA 1156.
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz

Just looking for a overall upgrade weather its slightly or major.
    well what are You hoping to achieve ? Upgrading Your curent rig is possible but You will max out with a Intel 860. Buying new would probaly not be cost efective and not that much of a proformance boost to justify the cost . Best just to consider a new motherboard and CPU . As to what realy depends on Your buget . AMD makes some real cost efective CPUs while Intel would be the best of the best but at a higher cost . Me personaly seeing I just dont do all that much cpu intensive things would have went with a AMD 6350 instead of a my curent I7 3770k and save a few bucks but that is just Me . You might want that high end CPU in which case a intel 4770k would be top of the line .
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Looks like a first gen i5.

Try and get a used i7 920, should be a nice upgrade also first gen but good.

No im not gonna tell you to buy AMD like most would assume, then you would need new motherboard as well.....
    Nice advice Poci.

How is he going to use a Socket 1366 CPU on a Socket 1156 motherboard?

Oops.

Here you go OP, some real advice on upgrading socket 1156:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Soc...(LGA1156).html

EDIT:
    If your motherboard supports it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i...item3f2819b229

But all that gets you is quad core, as the cpu itself is clocked lower.

Your best bet is to sell the 650 motherboard IMHO, and buy best i5/i7 quad core deal you can find in your budget. (You can sell your motherboard for $125, use that to buy an 1155 motherboard, and buy a 3570 for the same $200, and get a 3.4GHz stock quad intel vs 3.06 on your current board)
    Last edited by jethro; 08-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Nice advice Poci.

How is he going to use a Socket 1366 CPU on a Socket 1156 motherboard?

Oops.

Here you go OP, some real advice on upgrading socket 1156:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Soc...(LGA1156).html

EDIT:
    If your motherboard supports it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core-i...item3f2819b229

But all that gets you is quad core, as the cpu itself is clocked lower.

Your best bet is to sell the 650 motherboard IMHO, and buy best i5/i7 quad core deal you can find in your budget. (You can sell your motherboard for $125, use that to buy an 1155 motherboard, and buy a 3570 for the same $200, and get a 3.4GHz stock quad intel vs 3.06 on your current board)
    Wow 1 thing you correct me on and you think I don't know what im talking about. Sorry im not an expert on intel hardware, I figured 1st gen core Is used same socket. lol if they don't then it backup what I said on how Intel sucks when it comes to upgradeability.

Wow 1 thing you correct me on and you think I don't know what im talking about. Sorry im not an expert on intel hardware, I figured 1st gen core Is used same socket. lol if they don't then it backup what I said on how Intel sucks when it comes to upgradeability.
    What's interesting is in several posts you complain about intel making a person switch motherboards every generation, and here you recommend he buy a cpu from a prior generation.

In any case, apparently 85% of the market think intel's performance and technology is worth upgrading the motherboard with the cpu.

Go figure- with all your experience in retail and sales you didn't know the right parts for an upgrade or that cpu buyers don't mind buying a board with the processor.

Oh well, we all make mistakes. Peace be with you Brother Poci.

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    What's interesting is in several posts you complain about intel making a person switch motherboards every generation, and here you recommend he buy a cpu from a prior generation.

In any case, apparently 85% of the market think intel's performance and technology is worth upgrading the motherboard with the cpu.

Go figure- with all your experience in retail and sales you didn't know the right parts for an upgrade or that cpu buyers don't mind buying a board with the processor.

Oh well, we all make mistakes. Peace be with you Brother Poci.
    Ohh god, this never ends, I DID NOT START WORKING FING RETAIL TILL 07!! I WAS A TECH BEFORE THAT ALREADY. GET THAT TRHOUGH YOUR SKULL.

And yes I figured 1st gen core is all used same socket, and I they don't then it validates my claim that intel sucks for upgradeability.

At least with AMD you can just pop in a new CPU on an older motherboard.

Ohh and 85% of the market which is a biased results in the first place cause like I said, I see with my own eyes what sells. Anyways yeah those 85% like the little ringtone on intel comercials......

Ohh god, this never ends, I DID NOT START WORKING FING RETAIL TILL 07!! I WAS A TECH BEFORE THAT ALREADY. GET THAT TRHOUGH YOUR SKULL.

And yes I figured 1st gen core is all used same socket, and I they don't then it validates my claim that intel sucks for upgradeability.

At least with AMD you can just pop in a new CPU on an older motherboard.

Ohh and 85% of the market which is a biased results in the first place cause like I said, I see with my own eyes what sells. Anyways yeah those 85% like the little ringtone on intel comercials......
    You accuse me of having no knowledge of hardware in open forum, and in your expletive filled PMs, and yet you don't seem to know i7 920 is first gen i7(1366), and socket 1155/1156 is second gen i7.

I may just be a "lowly guy educated at Midwest colleges", but I don't know if I'd want you working on my hardware.

How can a supposed "long term" tech like you not know the difference between 1366/1155/1156 when pretty much the whole world is using these sockets?

I think if you ever were a bench tech, you've been out of that field a very long time.

Guys, both cut the shit. If you can't discuss tech based on technical merits and discuss just stop it all together.

Jethro your comments were out of line with "Nice advice Poci." Just correct what you think is wrong with less attitude. That's all.

Poci, ease up on this crap.

/Mothering
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Thread closed