Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

where I can get a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 ?

Looking for someone who knows where I can get a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 What I am seeing here is with the latest CPUs that the board cant handle it and burns out the VRMs over time

I did some digging and found that gigabyte has updated their GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 to work better with Vishera CPUs .Well I should point out that their is a issue with using a older version of this motherboard with the latest AMD 6 or 8 cores . Gigabyte has revised the board to adress the issue . The easiest way to tell is to look at the north bride heatsink . version 4.0 has the heatpipe conecting the 2 upper heatsinks on the board see here
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4672#ov

version 3.0 is here
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4397#ov

http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gi...ud3-rev-4.html

Gigabyte rolled out the fifth revision to its 990FXA-UD3 socket AM3+ motherboard, which possibly heralds a series of upgrades to the company's existing socket AM3+ motherboard SKUs. The 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 features a host of changes over its UEFI-equipped predecessor , beginning with a refreshed 10-phase CPU VRM
    (Digital Power Engine), a different selection of chokes, capacitors, and MOSFETs, newer VRM and chipset heatsinks capable of handling higher thermal loads, and Gigabyte's newest UEFI setup program. The board is otherwise identical to the 990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.

Designed with support for AMD FX "Vishera" processors out of the box, the 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 features a split power-plane 10-phase CPU VRM, with chokes that don't whine under load, and lower footprint MOSFETs. The CPU socket is wired to four DDR3 DIMM
    slots supporting up to 64 GB of dual-channel DDR3-2133 MHz memory, and the AMD 990FX northbridge. This chip gives out two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots, and two PCI-Express 2.0 x4 slots (physical x16). Two PCI-Express 2.0 x1, and a legacy PCI make for the rest of its expansion. All six SATA 6 Gb/s ports from the SB950 southbridge are assigned as internal ports, while a Marvell 9172 controller handles two eSATA 6 Gb/s. The board offers a total of four USB 3.0 ports, driven by EJ168 controllers by Etron.
    8-channel HD audio driven by Realtek ALC889 CODEC, and a gigabit Ethernet interface driven by Realtek 8111F, cover the rest of its connectivity. Since it's a revision to an existing SKU, we expect it to be priced the same, around $140.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: where I can get a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 ?

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Looking for someone who knows where I can get a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 What I am seeing here is with the latest CPUs that the board cant handle it and burns out the VRMs over time

I did some digging and found that gigabyte has updated their GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 to work better with Vishera CPUs .Well I should point out that their is a issue with using a older version of this motherboard with the latest AMD 6 or 8 cores . Gigabyte has revised the board to adress the issue . The easiest way to tell is to look at the north bride heatsink . version 4.0 has the heatpipe conecting the 2 upper heatsinks on the board see here
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4672#ov

version 3.0 is here
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4397#ov

http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gi...ud3-rev-4.html

Gigabyte rolled out the fifth revision to its 990FXA-UD3 socket AM3+ motherboard, which possibly heralds a series of upgrades to the company's existing socket AM3+ motherboard SKUs. The 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 features a host of changes over its UEFI-equipped predecessor , beginning with a refreshed 10-phase CPU VRM
    (Digital Power Engine), a different selection of chokes, capacitors, and MOSFETs, newer VRM and chipset heatsinks capable of handling higher thermal loads, and Gigabyte's newest UEFI setup program. The board is otherwise identical to the 990FXA-UD3 Rev 3.

Designed with support for AMD FX "Vishera" processors out of the box, the 990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 features a split power-plane 10-phase CPU VRM, with chokes that don't whine under load, and lower footprint MOSFETs. The CPU socket is wired to four DDR3 DIMM
    slots supporting up to 64 GB of dual-channel DDR3-2133 MHz memory, and the AMD 990FX northbridge. This chip gives out two PCI-Express 2.0 x16 slots, and two PCI-Express 2.0 x4 slots (physical x16). Two PCI-Express 2.0 x1, and a legacy PCI make for the rest of its expansion. All six SATA 6 Gb/s ports from the SB950 southbridge are assigned as internal ports, while a Marvell 9172 controller handles two eSATA 6 Gb/s. The board offers a total of four USB 3.0 ports, driven by EJ168 controllers by Etron.
    8-channel HD audio driven by Realtek ALC889 CODEC, and a gigabit Ethernet interface driven by Realtek 8111F, cover the rest of its connectivity. Since it's a revision to an existing SKU, we expect it to be priced the same, around $140.
    Burn out is a more sissy term, more like catch fire and can burn your house down. I had this happen with a 970 gigabyte board, and Im going to assume the board your talking about uses similar VRM maybe a little better. I wouldn't get that board if I were you.

Get the Asrock or the Sabertooth, even the MSI 990FX seems ok

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Burn out is a more sissy term, more like catch fire and can burn your house down. I had this happen with a 970 gigabyte board, and Im going to assume the board your talking about uses similar VRM maybe a little better. I wouldn't get that board if I were you.

Get the Asrock or the Sabertooth, even the MSI 990FX seems ok
    MSI noooo ! way too many issues with that POS If I can find a version 4.0 then That is what I will get . I have been in contact with new egg trying to get them to update their info on the board . They curently show a version 1.0 and I dought that to be the case . I asked then to verify what version they were selling but they politly declined which is total BS IMO .
    Gigabyte should have recalled all the older revisions IMO

Yeah I don't like MSI either, 13 years ago I had 2 boards of their die just cause of mild OCs. Killed 2 Duron spitfires with it.

But I think Josh said the new MSI 990FX is ok.

In any case, concerning the other boards. I went to tigerdirect one day since I couldn't wait and bought a sabertooth 2.0 just for troubleshooting and then returned it. It had good ceramic cooling on NB and VRM but the PCB was flimsy when compared to asrock boards. Considering they were same price I expected the sabertooth to be better. I returned it and stuck with the Asrock.

Yea not all that interesed in Asus . Once I saw their Z77 sabertooth all stripped down and their Crosshair 5 formula z , left me with the impression way overpriced for what you get . I also noticed on that asus AMD mainboard " PCB made in china "
    That don't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy ! LOL

Asrock is made in China as well I think.
    Gigabyte proudly puts made in Taiwan yet flames come out of the VRM like I said......

Tiger direct is telling me that they have the revision 4.0 seriously considering pushing the button on one

Tiger direct is telling me that they have the revision 4.0 seriously considering pushing the button on one
    4.0 of what board?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    4.0 of what board?
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 Tiger has it for 129 free ship not a bad deal ! I am going to order it tomorrow here is a link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...675&CatId=7246
    Should be good enough for a 6350 dont you think ?

Well are you going to OC?

UD3s are usually more basic, UD5 and UD7 are better.

But like I said, I wouldn't trust them, I don't trust gigabyte anymore after latest VRM fiasco

I dont know , not a lot of choice on boards here and that gigabyte does get good feedback reviews , I find asrocks extreme 9 price a little hard to choke down . 190 bucks . I am not realy wanting to invest alot here and asuming all works out would be a interesting expermiment as I would get to see 1st hand AMD VS intel and I am not talking benchies . add to that the cost VS proformance factor . If I go with some uber motherboard kinda defeats the idea of building a system on the cheep . would you not agree ?

I dont know , not a lot of choice on boards here and that gigabyte does get good feedback reviews , I find asrocks extreme 9 price a little hard to choke down . 190 bucks . I am not realy wanting to invest alot here and asuming all works out would be a interesting expermiment as I would get to see 1st hand AMD VS intel and I am not talking benchies . add to that the cost VS proformance factor . If I go with some uber motherboard kinda defeats the idea of building a system on the cheep . would you not agree ?
    Look around on google theres plenty of charts that show AMD is superior when it comes to cost vs performance ratio and by a big margin. In any case as for the price of the asrock I think its worth it for 190, still cheaper then the crosshair. A 990 sabertooth would also cost around 190. Heh, Im lucky I got my Asrock on sale at the egg for 160.

In any case what will you be using computer for? Im asking you this before I get bashed for recommending AMD. I need to know the usage before I can officially say go with AMD. If not then Im labeled delusional pothead autistic like rainman.....

Yea not all that interesed in Asus . Once I saw their Z77 sabertooth all stripped down and their Crosshair 5 formula z , left me with the impression way overpriced for what you get . I also noticed on that asus AMD mainboard " PCB made in china "
    That don't leave me feeling warm and fuzzy ! LOL
    hi
    i had thoughts most boards were made in china, if i am not mistaken.....i at one time wanted tiawan made boards,,,but i believe they are very had to come by today....

at the moment, i am upgrading one of my amd systems, the phenom II 970, 555 are getting old....i bought a sapphire 7870 oc for $188 saturday,,if i had the funds for the cpu, i would have jumped on the 8350....egg had it for $20 prom code.....

i like to have the best of both worlds..fast intel and fast amd systems...just me

yea,,,that gig board is hard to find....though i don,t know what i would do with 4 pci-express slots

this board looks interesting-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128514

and i like the sabertooth, and one other asus board.....i might jump on the gig board, since i had a positive experience with there repair on my one board, a cat bite.....they fixed it free, and i thought that was cool

i know some here got asrock boards,,,i have had a couple of em, but i prefer asus or gigabyte....
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 08-12-2013 at 03:39 AM.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    hi
    i had thoughts most boards were made in china, if i am not mistaken.....i at one time wanted tiawan made boards,,,but i believe they are very had to come by today....

at the moment, i am upgrading one of my amd systems, the phenom II 970, 555 are getting old....i bought a sapphire 7870 oc for $188 saturday,,if i had the funds for the cpu, i would have jumped on the 8350....egg had it for $20 prom code.....

i like to have the best of both worlds..fast intel and fast amd systems...just me

yea,,,that gig board is hard to find....though i don,t know what i would do with 4 pci-express slots

and i like the sabertooth, and one other asus board.....i might jump on the gig board, since i had a positive experience with there repair on my one board, a cat bite.....they fixed it free, and i thought that was cool

i know some here got asrock boards,,,i have had a couple of em, but i prefer asus or gigabyte....
    Only two of the slots are 16x. U can use the othets for pci expres Ssd

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    hi

Yes I saw that Gigabyte at new egg but they can not say what version that they have so I am going with the same board at tiger. Look at the pick at new egg , their posting a pick that says rev 1.0 LOL.
    I did email tiger even though I chatted with them just to confirm that they are selling the rev 4.0 of the gigabyte 990FXA
    So what AMD boards are You running Now ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 08-12-2013 at 06:34 AM.