Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: where I can get a GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 Version 4.0 ?

I am just going to throw in the towel on AMD , processors seem good , selection of motherboards worth a hoot not so much . Just going to sell the fx6350 and call it done
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Yes I saw that Gigabyte at new egg but they can not say what version that they have so I am going with the same board at tiger. Look at the pick at new egg , their posting a pick that says rev 1.0 LOL.
    I did email tiger even though I chatted with them just to confirm that they are selling the rev 4.0 of the gigabyte 990FXA
    So what AMD boards are You running Now ?
    I just got the ASRock 990FX Extreme 9 (I'm in the process of building a new rig). I got all the parts and just need to do some final checks this coming weekend - then fire it up for the first time. On the sw side, I'm hoping I won't have any issues with installing and validating the OS (Win7) and installing 64b.

Anyways, I've had Asus in the past and never had issues. And I hear good things about Gigabyte...
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative

I am hearing too many bad things about Gigabyte 990XFA . Problem is if Your using the latest six or eight core CPU it is burning Up the VRMs on early revisions . Version 4.0 Fixes these issues BUT one has no way to know what revision that they are buying . Check out new egg , amazon customer reviews and you will see . Gigabyte Should recall all the early revisions or at least post warn people about the issue . Why they continue to support high end Vishera 8 and 6 core on early revisions is telling Me that they did not fully test out their boards . They Must have known something seeing that they released ver.4.0 see this link
    http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gi...ud3-rev-4.html

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

I am hearing too many bad things about Gigabyte 990XFA . Problem is if Your using the latest six or eight core CPU it is burning Up the VRMs on early revisions . Version 4.0 Fixes these issues BUT one has no way to know what revision that they are buying . Check out new egg , amazon customer reviews and you will see . Gigabyte Should recall all the early revisions or at least post warn people about the issue . Why they continue to support high end Vishera 8 and 6 core on early revisions is telling Me that they did not fully test out their boards . They Must have known something seeing that they released ver.4.0 see this link
    http://www.techpowerup.com/186972/gi...ud3-rev-4.html
    The VRM issue with gigabyte boards happened with 970s as well, my shit caught fire.

In any case done give up yet. Theres still good 990FX boards. If your still looking for one, Im selling my Asrock 990FX fatality pro. Im trying to post in trading section, Its almost identicle to this extreme 9 just a few minor differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    The VRM issue with gigabyte boards happened with 970s as well, my shit caught fire.

In any case done give up yet. Theres still good 990FX boards. If your still looking for one, Im selling my Asrock 990FX fatality pro. Im trying to post in trading section, Its almost identicle to this extreme 9 just a few minor differences.
    yes I have had that board , was not all that impressed with it as I remember it was slow as a snail . Had the exreme 4 as well , not real impressed with that board as the NB heatsink blocked the use of any pcie 1x card . Sorry But AMD needs to get a new platform . The 9 series is way out dated , intel ( as much as I hate to admit it ) has the better chipsets . I might consider that extreme 9 but I would wager that when its all said and done , I be sorry . Might as well just throw in the towel and mabe if AMD releases some new platform then I would give it a go

yes I have had that board , was not all that impressed with it as I remember it was slow as a snail . Had the exreme 4 as well , not real impressed with that board as the NB heatsink blocked the use of any pcie 1x card . Sorry But AMD needs to get a new platform . The 9 series is way out dated , intel ( as much as I hate to admit it ) has the better chipsets . I might consider that extreme 9 but I would wager that when its all said and done , I be sorry . Might as well just throw in the towel and mabe if AMD releases some new platform then I would give it a go
    What was slow about the fatality? I would still be running it. Only reason I switched is cause I thought the throttling was a bug. Then I find out that Asrock board throttle due to temps.

In the end I don't think I needed to even buy this extreme 9 and I should have just stuck with the fatality. Its almost identicle, uses same VRM. Just a few bios differences and different NIC.

What was slow about the fatality? I would still be running it. Only reason I switched is cause I thought the throttling was a bug. Then I find out that Asrock board throttle due to temps.

In the end I don't think I needed to even buy this extreme 9 and I should have just stuck with the fatality. Its almost identicle, uses same VRM. Just a few bios differences and different NIC.
    exactly , throttle when hot that is the issue and no way to disable that feature that is probaly why I dumped my phenom 2 980 board just throttled the crap out of it , I dont understand Asrock so called 12 phase power delivery that has to throttle back , one would think asrock would either adress this with active cooling . My guess is the the "12 phase power" is little more then hype fopr marketing reasons . But If You want My FX6350 PM Me I can be veryReasonable

exactly , throttle when hot that is the issue and no way to disable that feature that is probaly why I dumped my phenom 2 980 board just throttled the crap out of it , I dont understand Asrock so called 12 phase power delivery that has to throttle back , one would think asrock would either adress this with active cooling . My guess is the the "12 phase power" is little more then hype fopr marketing reasons . But If You want My FX6350 PM Me I can be veryReasonable
    The throttling stops if you cool the VRMs dude. I wouldn't get rid of that 6350 just yet.

The throttling stops if you cool the VRMs dude. I wouldn't get rid of that 6350 just yet.
    Respectfully , for 179 bucks plus shipping I should not have to . Board should be equiped to do so already at that price .

But I am reading on new egg one reviewer saying that their shipping Rev 4 gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3s out so i might just chill a month or two and buy one of those to play with . I can choke down $137 a lot eaiser then $200

Respectfully , for 179 bucks plus shipping I should not have to . Board should be equiped to do so already at that price .

But I am reading on new egg one reviewer saying that their shipping Rev 4 gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3s out so i might just chill a month or two and buy one of those to play with . I can choke down $137 a lot eaiser then $200
    Actually the throttling is to protect VRM, if it didn't throttle the VRM would most likely fry like a lot of Gigabyte boards were doing.

And from I gather Asus uses the same 12+2 power phase as Asrock, they are the same chips. They just call it digipower. Neither of them are true 12+2 design anyways.

Actually the throttling is to protect VRM, if it didn't throttle the VRM would most likely fry like a lot of Gigabyte boards were doing.

And from I gather Asus uses the same 12+2 power phase as Asrock, they are the same chips. They just call it digipower. Neither of them are true 12+2 design anyways.
    yea I knew that
    That Asrock extreme 9 is not getting glowing reviews at new egg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157358

I might take a trip out to frys , I got one close and see what revision of the GA-990FX-UD3 their selling . I used to love asrock , but as soon as they started their UEFI bios they went to crap IMO . no done with Asrock done , done , and more done .

yea I knew that
    That Asrock extreme 9 is not getting glowing reviews at new egg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157358

I might take a trip out to frys , I got one close and see what revision of the GA-990FX-UD3 their selling . I used to love asrock , but as soon as they started their UEFI bios they went to crap IMO . no done with Asrock done , done , and more done .
    I like this board my only complaints are the vrm throttling and quirky llc

as I said waiting on the gigabyte

as I said waiting on the gigabyte
    So the revision 4.0 is supposed to correct the VRM issues? To tell you the truth one of my options was a gigabyte UD5 when purchasing this extreme 9. I just don't trust gigabyte after their 970 UD3 caught fire in VRM area when I was only at 1.5 vcore.......

So the revision 4.0 is supposed to correct the VRM issues? To tell you the truth one of my options was a gigabyte UD5 when purchasing this extreme 9. I just don't trust gigabyte after their 970 UD3 caught fire in VRM area when I was only at 1.5 vcore.......
    yes The rev 4.0 even supports those uber 5ghz virshia cpus and takes care of the vrm issue , I am just going to wait till next month and order one from new egg . I am seeing in the posts rev 4.0 is shipping