Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need AHCI Driver for Asrock M3A790GXH/128M on Windows XP

Hi, I just installed an SSD in my system and realized that it needs to run in AHCI mode in order to obtain the best performance. Does anyone know where I can get/download an AHCI driver for my Asrock M3A790GXH/128M mobo running on Windows XP? I tried contacting the mobo manufacturer and they said that they don't have such a driver because first of all AHCI does not work in Windows XP because Microsoft does not support it. Then I told them that I saw an AHCI driver that's part of their RAID drivers for Windows XP on their download site. They said that that AHCI driver is glitchy and doesn't work well with Windows XP. I don't know if I should believe this guy because at first he said they have no driver and then he said it's glitchy. So I'm hoping to find a good AHCI driver for my mobo through someone's kind help in this forum.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need AHCI Driver for Asrock M3A790GXH/128M on Windows XP

you need to do a fresh install of xp, set ahci in the bios and use the f6 during the windows install. from the asrock floppy ms ahci files should work for windows to see and load the os. then once that is done you should be able to update the files from here.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...windows.aspx#4

you may want to wait to see if anyone might have another suggestion.

ud

Thanks UD!

My mobo has an SB750 Southbridge chipset. From the download link you gave, which one should I choose: the AMD SB7xx RAID Drivers or the AMD AHCI Driver? Sorry for the confusion, I just want to be sure.

i agree! i just checked what download files my gigabyte board lists(with the same chipset as yours) and they mirror those that asrock website supplies. those go on the floppy unzipped.

you want the 1st one on the page. amd chipset drivers

ud

Thank you so much! I'll try that.

awaiting a positive report.

ud

BTW I just have one more question before I try the procedure. Instead of the Asrock driver, why not just put the AMD AHCI driver on the floppy for F6 during Windows installation? That way you wouldn't have to update to the AMD AHCI driver. Is there a special reason to install the Asrock driver first then update to the AMD one?

i just looked at them and my limited knowledge, lends me to think they are designed to be installed later as an update. just a guess but i think the original plan would work best.

ud

I must confess that I really wanted to install a good AHCI driver on an existing Windows XP build without having to do a fresh install of XP. I found the following procedure from some site:

1. Download the SATA RAID/AHCI driver from your motherboard manufacturer. This should contain the files ahcix86.sys, ahcix86.inf and ahcix86.cat.

2. Create a .bat file (e.g., AHCIReg.bat) with the following content:

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86Enum" /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v Type /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v Group /t REG_SZ /d "SCSI miniport" /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v ErrorControl /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v ImagePath /t REG_SZ /d "system32\drivers\ahcix86.sys" /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ahcix86" /v tag /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_1002&CC_0106" /v Service /t REG_SZ /d "ahcix86" /f

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\PCI#VEN_1002&CC_0106" /v ClassGUID /t REG_SZ /d "{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" /f

3. Open a cmd prompt and run the .bat file from there. The .bat file will modify the registry to prepare for installing an AHCI driver. Make sure that all of the commands went through successfully by checking for any error messages after the .bat file is run.

4. Extract the files ahcix86.sys, ahcix86.inf and ahcix86.cat from the download in step 1. Copy these files to c:\windows\inf. Also copy the file ahcix86.sys to c:\windows\system32\drivers.

5. Reboot the machine and go directly into the BIOS before starting Windows. Change the SATA Mode setting in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI. Save the BIOS changes.

6. The machine reboots and loads Windows. After some time the hardware update wizard will show up. Select "Install the software automatically". When prompted for the file ahcix86.sys, browse to c:\windows\system32\drivers where the file is located.

7. The hardware update wizard may show up one more time. If so, do the same thing you did in step 6.

8. Reboot the machine. Once rebooted, you should see the "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" under SCSI and RAID Controllers in Device Manager.

It worked! It was so easy! I hope the above will help someone else who wants to do this.

Next I will perform some benchmark tests to see if I still need to update the driver to the AMD provided one.

and thanks for taking the time to list what you did.

ud

I would like to install and try the AMD AHCI driver now. How do you install it? I ran the downloaded exe, selected Custom install, but didn't see any AHCI driver in the list to install. I proceeded anyway (selected the defaults except the USB driver), then rebooted when the install was done. Checked the Device Manager and I'm still seeing the same old AHCI driver there.

I noticed that the install created an AMD folder on my hard drive. I browsed the folder and saw a subfolder that looks like the one for the AHCI driver - C:\AMD\Support\13-4_xp32-64_sb\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\SB7xx\AHCI_svr\XP - which contains the following files:

amd_sata.msi
    amd_sata.cat
    amd_sata.sys
    amd_xata.sys
    amd_sata.inf
    txtsetup.oem
    ReadMe.rtf

Any ideas on how to install? Should I run the amd_sata.msi or should I update the driver and point to this folder?

Thanks!

hmmm, flying blind here but what i would try is using device manager and directing it to the folder.

ud

I tried both updating the driver through Device Manager and running the msi. None of them worked. Gave me something like an incompatible device error.

Finally, I tried the AMD SB7XX RAID driver instead because I saw that its package has the file ahcix86.sys which is the same filename as the Asrock driver that I'm trying to update. OMG it worked! So I guess this driver provides both AHCI and RAID functionality, and you don't have to use RAID. In my case I only need the AHCI.

sometimes one has to just experiment. i guess amd's web page must list the ahci but fail to mention they're for win7. sounds good.

ud

I have done some benchmarks using AS SSD and Anvil Storage Utilities. The Asrock AHCI driver is slightly faster than the AMD driver. Then I tested my SSD on an Intel I7 system running Windows 8 and it's a lot faster on this machine. Is this because the Intel I7 is faster than my Phenom II X3 720BE or is the Windows 8 driver just better and faster than the Asrock driver for Windows XP?