Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What Linux distro do you prefer and why?

My Plex server runs Ubuntu / Unity most of the time. I also have MATE on because that was the only desktop I could get to work with X2Go. If I'm not in X2Go I prefer Unity - it seems cleaner. Maybe I just have Unity configured as I like it and I haven't given MATE a chance.
    I'm planning on a gaming Linux build in the next month or so, and might be more adventurous. But Mint had that big security breach - Arch is too bleeding edge. Decisions, decisions.

I started on Ubuntu mate and left Linux because of the fact that xinput is crap for competitive games that need precise input (cs & tf2)
    I will return though if wayland fixes these issues and my games get native ports to it.

Both counter strike and Team Fortress 2 have native linux ports. Check them out on Steam.

And xinput seems to be for using xbox 360 controllers on a PC? Thats odd, your the only FPS gamer I've ever heard on on PC that wants to use a controller.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

After hating on U_16.04 since replacing U_14.04, I've come to discover the new Canonical trash is only x2 as bad as I imagined. That is ... once replacing cartoonish UNITY with MATE 1.6 & heckling LibO with mature APACHE OO. The kernel upgrade K-4.2.x --> K-4.8 is an unexpected benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercityratkat View Post
    After hating on U_16.04 since replacing U_14.04, I've come to discover the new Canonical trash is only x2 as bad as I imagined. That is ... once replacing cartoonish UNITY with MATE 1.6 & heckling LibO with mature APACHE OO. The kernel upgrade K-4.2.x --> K-4.8 is an unexpected benefit.
    Just out of curiosity, why not just use UbuntuMate instead of replacing Unity with Mate? Not meaning to start an argument, just curious.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

MN:

Pure laziness! Besides email (T-Bird) and news my primary computer use is building & maintaining a "pulp-fiction" website; good 2004-level coding (Bluefish) and original hard-right stories. Generic UBUNTU is good enough for my needs; that's the bottom line. Unity of-course spews distracting crap. MATE.x front-end is a simple PPA install. The combo has provided a modestly robust system that improves with age -- I'm 73.

Okay. Sounds reasonable.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I'm using RHEL, but any RHEL clone (CentOS, SL etc) would fit the bill.

I started out on Red Hat Linux here on this very forum and then migrated to Fedora Core and subsequently Fedora, but soon tired of the constant update churn, so was drawn to the long life-cycle of Enterprise Linux. I switched to EL4, and then in 2007 installed the newly released EL5 on my main desktop and server. I ran those systems for 10 years until EL5 went end of life in 2017 and only really replaced them because I was forced to. They never missed a beat in 10 years and other than a HD upgrade to add more storage ran with virtually zero downtime. I've now replaced them with RHEL7 and plan on running those systems for another 10 years, all being well.

I love the stability and reliability of Enterprise Linux. It gives me a stable platform (ABI) on which to develop and just gets the job done. I don't run a lot of services, mainly email with spam filtering and DNS for myself and an OS project for which I develop.

On the desktop RHEL7 ships with gnome by default which I've never liked and struggled to get on with. I started out with KDE on Red Hat Linux 7 all those years ago and have been running KDE ever since. I did give gnome a go for a couple months on RHEL7 but have now switched back to KDE on the desktop and feel much happier.

So that's me sorted until 2027