Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: MSI PM8M3-V rev. 1 - unstable gaming only

Prime95 overnight CPU torture test - 7h 8min

No errors. Claims, that the machine is unstable in terms of CPU are dismissed. It must be the gfx card and/or it's powering.
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Quote Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    Poci - do you do seriously suggesting that I should use Win7 on Celeron with 2G of ram? I hope you do not... It would be uselessly slow. Also it would reguire complete change of my HDD, because my Win C partition is 2G only. Will Win7 fit there?
    No? Then I better look for another gpu stress testing tool, that does not require stupid NETframecrap.
    What is wrong with OCCT? Nothing, except that it does not work, period. Besides, maybe on more cores the Prime95 is not good, but on single core (remember, Celeron, not even hyperthreading!) it is more the enought to test the system well.

While that could be very well true on multicore systems, on single core the ability to simultanously stress all cores are irelevant. And it is not need test - we know now, that it crashing with time and gaming = overheating of something.

Reinstall.
    So I used R-Drive Image v4.7 to backup all the Windows right after the install + DX9, so I have a clean machine to install the VIA 4+1, sound and Forcaware drivers
    Then installed the drivers and give another backup. No coolbites, no nothing. Just clean install.
    1 - Furmark still refuse to work, either it is some error in it, or the used Forceware drivers did not support OpenGl v2 properly, witch I find hard to believe. Probably a Furmark bug, useless for me to test then...
    2 - The reinstall really helped. Call of Duty (1), Quake 3 or the cursed SoF2 not crashing on exit anymore!
    Hoooray!

3 - the only one "problem" is, that sometimes the mobo refuse to get into the VGA regime from text mode, opening a BSplayer (render into the overlay) took AGES for the first time, as if the card did not want to run as graphic card, lol?
    ...and the crashing after some gaming, that is the problem...
    Yes it will be slow but all you need it for is troubleshooting so you can have framework 3.5

I just got a better idea! I just realized why the Furmark does not work for me, even the 6800GT is supposed to support OpenGL v2.1:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/177...00-gt-agp.html
    Well, it is quite simple. The Forceware drivers started supporting the OpenGL v2.0 required for Furmark since version 77.72:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_77.72
    I use version 61.76, witch means that the most I could get is v1.5 of OpenGL. Everest helped me to realize my mistake...

So up for next - a GFX card test

I will have testing tool even w/o the cursed NETframework!
    "It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire
    "I believe that all the people who stand to profit by a war and who help provoke it should be shot on the first day it starts..." - Hemingway my config - my caps

Well, the more recent drivers worked and now the card support OpenGL v2.0 and hence - it run FurMark
    Got a very low score of 547:
    http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/sc...bbafb8ba784250

...but the problem is, that the FurMark did not crashed for about TWO hours straight MaxBurn test...

I was somewhat confused, that the image on screen did not update, but that it probably because FurMark is checking for bugs in the image, right?
    Never the less, I have complain. On screen it write this:
    Renderer: GeForce 6800 GT/PCI/SSE2

Obviously I have a problem with the "PCI" part, because the card is AGP and given some of the slow-downs it really looks like as it run on PCI speed, not AGP 8x...

No idea what this cause, but probably some wrong initialization of the card. Regardless if this works as I supposed right, then the card seems to be stable.

There are minor annoyances too, tough they are not new at all. First at all - opening overlay took for the first time eternity. (1 - 2 minutes) Dunno why that happen, never seen that in my life, but it does happen with different Forceware frivers (61.76 WHQ, 77.72 WHQ) as well, as with different VIA Hyperion 4in1 drivers (v5.24a, v5.11a, v5.04a). So it have to do something with what the card seems to initialize.

ALSO I cannot get the AGP page back in the drivers. It was there:

...and now, even I add to the registers the coolbites:

Code:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak]
    "CoolBits"=dword:0000000f
    "NvCplEnableHardwarePage"=dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAdditionalInfoPage"=dword:00000001
    "NvCplEnableAGPSettingsPage"=dword:00000001
    It is just not there.
    Also a minor problem is, that the gamma value in nVcpl can be set only between 0.5 and 3.61 - too sensitive, no way to set better value or get back to 1.0

Kinda bad that FurMark run slow, yet not fail. I did not dare to take a screenshot of the "PCI", but the slow-downs in SoF2 looks like something is wrong with the speed...

Replacement CPU arrived (a HUGE thanks must go to OC AU user Datsun 1600 for creating the missing screws for the Thermalright SI-128 SE and giving me great P4 CPU for neat CPU upgrade! http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1097986 ), so I went gaming and... again the PCI/AGP troubles, slow performance, etc. And it crashed during my gaming once again Same way as before. Changed box cooler to Thermalright SI-128 SE (greatly temps get reduced) and also now the 120mm fan is blowing to the NB heatsink - yet still no help at all. Crashing. New CPU at least feel much faster now:

Old MSI PM8M3-V (VIA P4M800) board, new Pentium 4 540 (3.2GHz, 1MB L2) CPU Faster a "bit" - 45sec compared to a 72sec with Celeron D suxxka

http://valid.canardpc.com/uv65p3

old: http://postimg.org/image/s85ao8vqv/

So it is definitively NOT the CPU. The CPU might be dead-slow, yet worked just perfectly. No help in sight, except maybe replacing the last cap with something good, like 10uF elyte change to 47uF tantalum cap?

As for the 10uF d4 SMD cap, I will replace it (shortly, fingers crossed) with a 220uF 4V Tantal-polymer KEMET cap, so that should fix the problem. If it still fail, then the NIKOS poor mosfet is up to the blame and ... what replacement to choose for it??? Anyone?

Replacement suggestions?

The AGP regulator seems to be: NIKOS P3055LDG
    http://products.niko-sem.com/images/...5182145127.pdf

This is, in short:
    TO-252 (DPAK) 25V, 50mOhms, 12A, Gate charge 15nC, Gate treshold 1.2V

...so, what better with same gate charge/treshold and possibly lower resistance when opened (50mOhms are a bit HIGH IMHO) could anyone suggest?

Looking at the IPS1011RPbF,
    it have 6V input (max. step down 28) witch is fine (input is 3.3V) but a 10mOhms, should do 18A and the rise time and shutoff time are simply uncomparable with 50uS and 330uS, compared to the 6nS and 20nS
    NIKOS owned!

Sadly, there is gate treshold 1.7V (a bit too high to replace a 1.2V) and also there is absolutely NO WORD about gate charge
    http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/ips1011.pdf

That suxx. Something else is probably necessary

Semiconductor NCV8401
    42V, 23mOhms, 33A, rise time 41uS, shutoff time 164uS
    but gate treshold 1.8V
    http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/NCV8401-D.PDF

Infineon BTS 3142D
    42V, 28mOhms, 30A, rise time 60uS, shutoff time 60uS
    but gate treshold 1.7V
    http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/BTS3142_DS_13.pdf

ST Micro
    40V, 35mOhms, 12A, rise time 350nS, shutoff time 450nS
    gate treshold (forward on voltage) should be 0.8V, witch is pretty good
    gate charge is not listed there, but todal is 36.8nC
    http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/te...CD00002219.pdf

...that one could be it...?

From this very interesting link:
    Vishay - MOSFETs - N-channel - DPAK (TO-252) package
    ...I choose this one:

Vishay SUD50N02-06P
    http://www.vishay.com/docs/71931/sud50n02.pdf
    20V, 6mOhms, 26A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 24nS
    gate treshold 0.8V, gate charge 19nC

Even that at 4.5V the resistance is actually 9.5mOhms, then it is still far better that 50mOhms.
    Also the mosfet can operate at 175C, witch is pretty high.
    While it is a bit slower (rise time 10 to 6, shut off time 24 do 20), the gate treshold 0.8V should compensate that a bit for the original is 1.2V... The slightly higher gate charge 19nC over 15nC should not be a problem.

I believe I found the perfect replacement, that is better than the original!

I managed to replace the last remaining capacitor on the MSI PM8M3-V mobo - the 10uF d4 SMD suxxka, that have kinda horrible ESR or 3.2 Ohms:

...with a new SMD tantal-polymer KEMET 220uF 2.5V capacitor T520B227M2R5ATE015

...with have ESR around 0.015 Ohms

That should be a huge improve. Also I, out of the desperation, resoldered a bit the drain tops of there NIKOS mosfets near the AGP slot.

And result?

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

So it looks like that the mainboard was not up to the blame the whole damn time. It is the videocard that have to be recapped.

The Radeon R9100 was crashing when new SoF2 level is loading. Given that it run passively cooled on Licon caps:

...with 60 mOhms ESR one should not wonder. Rest of the caps looks quite similar, so recapping is in order, just waiting for the caps (as usual).

The PNY 6800 GT failed after a short time to run in AGP mode, going down to PCI mode and crashing after some gaming is played. Now that is serious problem, because there are just THERE caps, two of them polymers on the voltage input filter and they are Chemicon polymers.
    Last one is unknown 100uF SMD cap and that it is for other that ceramic caps! I would be inclined to add some caps in the blank spots too, probably something over 100uF SMD... and I would also like to create a custom effecient heatsink for the mosfets on the card, because they do overheat a lot - GPU VRM temp 71C: View image: temperatures after 30min

Should I try recap these graphic cards before I try replacing the NIKOS mosfets?

Quote Originally Posted by trodas View Post
    From this very interesting link:
    Vishay - MOSFETs - N-channel - DPAK (TO-252) package
    ...I choose this one:

Vishay SUD50N02-06P
    http://www.vishay.com/docs/71931/sud50n02.pdf
    20V, 6mOhms, 26A, rise time 10nS, shutoff time 24nS
    gate treshold 0.8V, gate charge 19nC

Even that at 4.5V the resistance is actually 9.5mOhms, then it is still far better that 50mOhms.
    Also the mosfet can operate at 175C, witch is pretty high.
    While it is a bit slower (rise time 10 to 6, shut off time 24 do 20), the gate treshold 0.8V should compensate that a bit for the original is 1.2V... The slightly higher gate charge 19nC over 15nC should not be a problem.

I believe I found the perfect replacement, that is better than the original!

I managed to replace the last remaining capacitor on the MSI PM8M3-V mobo - the 10uF d4 SMD suxxka, that have kinda horrible ESR or 3.2 Ohms:

...with a new SMD tantal-polymer KEMET 220uF 2.5V capacitor T520B227M2R5ATE015

...with have ESR around 0.015 Ohms

That should be a huge improve. Also I, out of the desperation, resoldered a bit the drain tops of there NIKOS mosfets near the AGP slot.

And result?

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

So it looks like that the mainboard was not up to the blame the whole damn time. It is the videocard that have to be recapped.

The Radeon R9100 was crashing when new SoF2 level is loading. Given that it run passively cooled on Licon caps:

...with 60 mOhms ESR one should not wonder. Rest of the caps looks quite similar, so recapping is in order, just waiting for the caps (as usual).

The PNY 6800 GT failed after a short time to run in AGP mode, going down to PCI mode and crashing after some gaming is played. Now that is serious problem, because there are just THERE caps, two of them polymers on the voltage input filter and they are Chemicon polymers.
    Last one is unknown 100uF SMD cap and that it is for other that ceramic caps! I would be inclined to add some caps in the blank spots too, probably something over 100uF SMD... and I would also like to create a custom effecient heatsink for the mosfets on the card, because they do overheat a lot - GPU VRM temp 71C: View image: temperatures after 30min

Should I try recap these graphic cards before I try replacing the NIKOS mosfets?
    Before you do anything else, clear the CMOS and load optimized defaults. Then test. That is the only advice I have besides the possibility that memtest86+ failed to detect faulty memory. Which isn't unusual for any memory tester. The reason I say this is that if for whatever reason the BIOS has set the CPU cache sizes incorrectly, clearing the CMOS and setting optimized defaults will correct it. Which is the reason they say when you change CPUs always do this. I don't know that it may also affect motherboard timings or VRM, but I suspect not. Sometimes it's a magic spell that just works. I've chased memory around before that simply refused to error out in tests but was as bad as a dirty diaper on a 12 lane highway in Atlanta, GA. I would swap the memory before recapping the card if that was at all possible. I think a video card is very likely to display other more drastic failure issues before causing instability in 2D if it is in fact the faulty device. That's just my opinion, so don't blame me if it doesn't work. Enjoyed reading your thread very much, and looking forward to more installments.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

notdrugged -
    Before you do anything else, clear the CMOS and load optimized defaults. Then test.
    Done 10 000 times already, sorry that I maybe did not mention it.

the possibility that memtest86+ failed to detect faulty memory
    Yes, this is possible. That is why I made so much Prime95 ram stress runs, that I'm sure that CPU and ram and HDD are good. That is why it never crash to BSOD, just crash the app/freeze the graphic. But rest was always working. And working well.

Sometimes it's a magic spell that just works.
    You are right. My magic is new caps
    Sometimes things are magic and work even against you in unexpected ways. For example in one of my optimizing uninstall IE scripts, there is a delating of the ntkrnlpa.exe, witch are expected to be used only on machies with Physical Address Extension - eg. over 4G ram size. Much to my surprise, it is also used on P4 with Hyperthreading ON, witch took down my almost finished Windows install
    Well, some optimalizations I do are just too hardcore... lol.

For example, if you are hunting down start time and memory usage, you can disable the VGA and VGA save drivers from ever being used. The catch? If you pull your GFX card and use another, expect to get BSOD on Win boot, lol. No way around it. Unless you get a bit image before you did this, you end up reinstalling...

Sadly good 2x 1G DDR1 CL2 rams are very hard to find, so I cannot even exchange the ram - nothing for replacement there

Quick report - after recapping the Radeon R9100, I put it into my MSI PM8M3-V mobo and at first it show ram errors (heartbreaking, after so much work and so many polymers and added caps...) on the screen, so I have to pull it off and check.
    Fortunately, I managed to find the bit of tin, that ended up on one of the bottom ram chips and after cleaning - hoooray, all works like a charm!

Immediatelly the card go into AGP 4x mode (!) and despite being TAD slower that PNY 6800GT, the system feels notably faster. That is, because, PCI mode DO SUXX BADLY. Therefore it is getting almost sure that the mainboard was NOT for the blame. The bad caps are in the GFX card(s), witch I indent to fix, of course.

Now is time for a clean win install and then I do more testing - mainly the play testing and longetivity under serious load. Then I might be inclined to see, if I can overclock the card a bit, despite the poor speed to start with

The lesson from all this is too early to draw, but there are only 3 caps on the PNY 6800GT, that are not ceramic: two Chemicon polymers 330uF 16V d10 SMD and one 100uF 16V d6.3 SMD Nichicon UD with 3.4V on it + some empty spaces, but that it is.

Since I was getting about 71C on the VRM mosfets ( http://postimg.org/image/x9m8pl4sl/ ) with just the ATI tool cube in small window, then I suspect these Chemicon polymer caps are up to the blame.

Of course the cooling of these mosfets is poor, but that was unchanged since day one and the card worked well for me before, so...
    Last edited by trodas; 11-19-2013 at 06:18 AM.

It does seem like a poor design. More of them or bigger. Completely aside from that, I had a card with imitation Nichicons on it once. If I'm not mistaken, polymer caps are not supposed to have vents (since vents would have zero function ever), so that's a bad sign. Anyway, I cannot find a good source for capacitors that aren't giant markups for recapping kits or buy-in-bulk reels of caps I'll never use. I know they're more expensive, but I also think they are marking up the price too much. The only reason I even look at polymers is because the correct wet caps are also very rare and expensive. Does anyone know of a source other than Digikey or Mouser that sells to the U.S.? I am also not very assured of my lead-free-soldering skills. So I wonder what your experience with that is. Anyway, my problems are useless. More interested in the comments on your own project.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Damn. All seems to be working rather nicely, but after 4 hours the SoF2 game again - crashed. So the crashes with Radeon R9100 when loading level are fixed and AGP mode seems to be working rather nicely, but still something is very wrong out there. Therefore the mosfets are next step for replacement...

Then it make sense, that the lower the AGP voltage is, the more stable (longer) I can play. Because the mosfet must be partly faulty, must overheat and then screw things up.
    Of course, with 6800GT that draw (despite the attached molex that power it) must more power that poor R9100, the mosfet overheat far faster (like crash in 20 - 30min when gaming) - while the R9100 can hold out for 4hours.

Damn. It was not that easy to fix (just caps) as I hoped to me

notdrugged - fake caps are pretty common. Yes, polymers should not have the vents, exception was very old, yellow Fujitsu polymers. They had vents, but they are polymers. Never bulged, tough.
    http://s24.postimg.org/4x5wqpms5/MSI_6340_06.jpg
    Asude of Digikey and Mouser i know and bought few caps from Farnell.com but that is what I know.
    Caps are not that expensive or rare, I got plenty of them and in Czech it is hard to source caps, so...

Polymers are great for low voltages (and computers generaly use low to very low voltages) and you sure can find someone who solder the stuff for you. Lead-free solder I would NEVER EVER use, because in temperature cycles it tend to develop cracks. Therefore this is utter stupidity to use, because it could kill your HW very easily.

My project just hit a wall. The need mosfets will be in Digikey 12/3/2013, and then add about a month, before I can work on my machine again. I probably add few polymers with higher capacitance (2200uF 2.5V d8 - cool) instead of the 1000uF 6.3V elytes where possible around the AGP slot, but that is just a desperate attempt.
    Also I add/replace the caps in CPU socket, but that won't help a single bit of the stability in the game...
    Last edited by trodas; 11-19-2013 at 01:52 PM.

I think your logic pans out, did you say you recapped the entire motherboard? I had a KT133 motherboard once by MSI that had bad caps in all of the peripheral power paths which brought down the board of course, and I also have certainly heard of insufficient regulation on the video card slot by various makers over time.
    If it's of any help now or in the future, my usual memory timings tinkering: Tras(Ras active)=Tcl(cas lat.)+Trcd(Ras-to-Cas delay)+2, Trc(Row cycle)=Tras+Trp(Row Precharge), Trfc(Row Refresh Cycle)=16,17, or 18. Memory voltage=2.7 for DDR-1. I can't stand shopping for caps. I don't know how you do it. When I was looking for them, they were quite hard to find even at Digikey. The right ones, of course. Only a few years ago. Sometimes I would spot them on Ebay. I will have to check again when I decide to start tinkering with it. Never shopped for mosfets, because it is over my head. I have a socket 939 system that is flaky but generally works *okay* most of the time. Goes into infinite loop on occasion. I think it's video card or bad PCIe slot cap(s) because it always happens during HD video when it happens. Dunno.

Yes, I did recapped entire mainboard. I just replacing elytes with polymers now, bumping capacitance and lowering the ESR... for chance of better power for the AGP card. And this insufficient regulation (or more plainly - lack of capacity to deliver the power to AGP slot) is very likely what is going on there. I could hardly think or anything else, that could be responsible for getting my card again into PCI mode, after so much work and after it - at first, before the crash - run at AGP 4x:

Radeon R9100 PCI mode

As ram timings go, the first two rules (optimal TRAS = TCL + TRCD + 2, optimal TRC = TRAS + TRP) I know (but dunno if I have really set the TRC 9 or 7 now, gotta check in bios) - they are published there: http://www.tweakers.fr/timings.html
    The TRFC i usually use 11, are there any benefits from using 16,17 or 18?
    Glad my memory run stable at 2.6V, tough

Can't stand shoping for caps? Interesting. Let me do the work then - for few more caps for me, lol
    As for search, you can start with my list of caps (sig) and there are - except for caps I got from Bog Pope - always the factory number, with lead you right to the wanted cap in Digikey or Mouser! So, that is easy.
    If you searching for something, then Digikey search is absolutely brilliant I love it. For example, I want replacement cap for the Licon d10 470uF 10V, witch I know it will run at 3.3V. So, best polymers are made by Nichicon, so I chearch for "nichicon", then click on the "Aluminum Capacitors (24894 items)" and got the NEAT table, where I choose:

1) voltage - 4V is as close, as it can get
    (Results matching criteria: 442)

2) size, I know I need the d10, so I choose it
    (Results matching criteria: 63)

3) type of casings - I know this is a radial suxxka, not SMD, so I choose this "Radial, Can"
    (Results matching criteria: 9)

...so now I can click apply and check, what I have there - I care most about the ripple current, so I sort the results by clicking on the arrow and got 7220mA caps right on the top Nichicon polymer FPCAP R5 in 820uF or 1200uF have this best ripple, so I choose the 1200uF one: RR50G122MDN1

Easy.

I won't go for Ebay, people selling all kinds of things there. I would like to be sure that this is a original quality cap, not some third grade crap, that got nice fake letters on it, but that it is. Usually I even end measuring them for the lowest ESR piece, when I really need to be sure that this WILL DO the job

As for mosfets, I'm also affraid how this will end, but I believe that I checked everything I could and I got the best one. We see what happend when I do the exchange.

As for your flaky S939 system - well, welcome to the club, mate. Same problem there. The first point is to look, what caps are on the mainboard and on the graphic card. If this is some known bad caps, then the solution is usually easy. If they are not, then there comes troubles. You can only hope that recap fix it, because if it not, then there is not much else you can do. Of couse you can be trying to figure out, what is wrong. But that could be a lenghty and painfull process... as you clearly can see for yourself.

So the bios memory settings - MSI PM8M3-V does not have the TRC setting in ram settings, so no go.
    The TRFC setting 11 I use, give me (Memtest 4.20) 1443MB/sec speed.
    TRFC setting 16 give me 1431MB/sec speed.

Therefore the lower the better there.

Of course, there could be exceptions. Some people recommend TRAS 11 always, but I read this:

Try a tRAS of 11, instead of 5 or 6.
    Is not that a nF2 preffered settings? I read that TRAS should be on AMD64 7:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/crucial/tracer4000/
    "TRAS always at 7, this gives highest memory bandwith when used with the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) of the Athlon64."

So it will kinda depends on the architecture as well. At least these settings can be easily tested with easy and quick verification, if they helped or harmed the performance. Best "overclock" will be for me probably a bios, that let me enable 1T ram acess (no matter what I set, it is reported as 2T) and possibly also 8 bank interleave instead of just 4. But when I set 8, then I end up reseting bios...