Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCL



    Before PhysX was purchased by NVIDIA, it was exclusive to Ageia. Ageia and NVIDIA have spent millions on development of PhysX, why would they give it to competitors like AMD for free?
    I already know it was AGEIA
    And imho Nvidia stole it from them

  2. #17
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    I already know it was AGEIA
    And imho Nvidia stole it from them
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...it-affects-you

    Why no Poci, Josh right here at PC Per says NVIDIA bought it because AMD didn't have the money and decided not to. NVIDIA paid them a more than fair price for it.

    Are you saying companies shouldn't be allowed to invest in themselves to gain advantage for their brand?

    We have capitalism here. That's the way it works.

  3. #18
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...it-affects-you

    Why no Poci, Josh right here at PC Per says NVIDIA bought it because AMD didn't have the money and decided not to. NVIDIA paid them a more than fair price for it.

    Are you saying companies shouldn't be allowed to invest in themselves to gain advantage for their brand?

    We have capitalism here. That's the way it works.
    Yes and buying out company is one of the flaws of capitalism.
    THe reason I criticize NVidia for PhysX is because upon the time it happened they specifically added in drivers to NOT allow PhysX for people that already owned the AGEIA PPU if an ati card was detected. ANd that there is a problem. They have no right to do that.

  4. #19
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,817

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Dunno Kbohip, PhysX definitely adds to the game experience:
    I never said it didn't make computer gaming better than consoles, I just don't like seeing brand name specific stuff happen like this. A perfect example is consoles themselves. Most console gamers have to own an Xbox and a PS3 to play all the games they want as certain games are only on certain consoles. I don't want that nonsense to eventually make it to pc gaming, and don't think it can't happen. Phys X is a step in that direction.

  5. #20
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    I never said it didn't make computer gaming better than consoles, I just don't like seeing brand name specific stuff happen like this. A perfect example is consoles themselves. Most console gamers have to own an Xbox and a PS3 to play all the games they want as certain games are only on certain consoles. I don't want that nonsense to eventually make it to pc gaming, and don't think it can't happen. Phys X is a step in that direction.
    Actually PhysX runs on Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, PCs with AMD or intel CPUs, even iPhones. The only thing it doesn't run on is AMD graphics cards.

    They even tried to include AMD GPUs, but found they were made out of wood, and could not run the complex code PhysX requires.

    (kidding on the last of course)

  6. #21
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Actually PhysX runs on Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, PCs with AMD or intel CPUs, even iPhones. The only thing it doesn't run on is AMD graphics cards.

    They even tried to include AMD GPUs, but found they were made out of wood, and could not run the complex code PhysX requires.

    (kidding on the last of course)
    True, thought I remember the discussion about the use of x87 code for CPU in the old PhysX SDK, a decision which dramatically reduced the ability of PhysX to run on the CPU.. looks like its been updated to use SSE, but I can't find too many details about it. Thing is, PhysX actually does run quite well on my system in Borderlands 2 when set to high except for a couple levels with large amounts of water simulations (caustic caverns in particular). Taking that into account, it seems like PhysX is a bit overrated as far as using the GPU to enable things that couldn't otherwise be done.


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  7. #22
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    True, thought I remember the discussion about the use of x87 code for CPU in the old PhysX SDK, a decision which dramatically reduced the ability of PhysX to run on the CPU.. looks like its been updated to use SSE, but I can't find too many details about it. Thing is, PhysX actually does run quite well on my system in Borderlands 2 when set to high except for a couple levels with large amounts of water simulations (caustic caverns in particular). Taking that into account, it seems like PhysX is a bit overrated as far as using the GPU to enable things that couldn't otherwise be done.
    There you have it.

    Not only does PhysX work across many types of systems, but NVIDIA saved the floundering AGEIA, capitalism works, and all is well with the world.

  8. #23
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    11,090

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    There you have it.

    Not only does PhysX work across many types of systems, but NVIDIA saved the floundering AGEIA, capitalism works, and all is well with the world.
    Slow your roll there I still don't see why, as a consumer, I should be happy about a proprietary system when we would all be better served by an open standard (all things being equal)


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  9. #24
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Slow your roll there I still don't see why, as a consumer, I should be happy about a proprietary system when we would all be better served by an open standard (all things being equal)
    Because no one is served by an open system. Open CL proves that.

    http://developer.amd.com/community/b...dk-and-opencl/

    There it is, AMD "Open CL" SDK over four years ago. Playing many OpenCL physics games over the last four years? Know of any in development? Me either.

    I guess it would be "better" if OpenCL was just a part of DX and happened automatically when games used the API.

    But it's not, so we're left with either:
    A. Companies that own physics SDK pay for them to be included.
    B. We get nothing and like it, like AMD customers have gotten for years on physics, for the most part 3d, until last month multi GPU.

    Empty promises from a broke company don't put the experience on my monitor.

  10. #25
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Slow your roll there I still don't see why, as a consumer, I should be happy about a proprietary system when we would all be better served by an open standard (all things being equal)
    Open standard means less moniez which hurts profits.

    At least the Linux crowd got it right

  11. #26
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    553

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Open standard means less moniez which hurts profits.

    At least the Linux crowd got it right
    It got them to about the same place Open Standards have got AMD.

  12. #27
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    It got them to about the same place Open Standards have got AMD.
    Well when a grade A game gets Bullet Physics by amd integrated then we can do a comparison with ageia PhysX. Till then theres not much to say.

    I still haven't experienced Open CL Bullet Physics

    EDIT: Looks like GTA series is using Bullet Physics.

    I played GTA4 and wasn't impressed with the game itself compared to san andreas but the physics were good and how they affected car driving.
    Last edited by Poci; 09-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.

  13. #28
    Joined
    Nov 2002
    Location
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,876

    Re: Call of Duty: Ghosts will have PhysX and TXAA, NVIDIA exclusives

    If this game uses more then 4 cores I will piss my pants in laughter thinking about Jeth

    It would be like him shitting on his own pizza after his claim that no games are multithreaded

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •