7970 Crossfire artifacts and directX error in BF3

Hi,

I have a 7970 crossfire setup. The rest of my computer is listed below: I7 4770k factory speed, gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H motherboard, 16gb ram, 650w 80+ gold psu, windows 7 x64. When i try running BF3 with the 13.8 beta driver, I get black thick bands flashing horizontally across my screen, sometimes immediately and sometimes after 5-10 minutes. My game would then crash and I would then get static artifacts of squares with little squares in them with the error titled: Directx Function Get Device Removed Reason. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
    Wayne

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: 7970 Crossfire artifacts and directX error in BF3

Does it happen with WHQL drivers as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Poci View Post
    Does it happen with WHQL drivers as well?
    Not much choice there Poci.

If it doesn't have the flashing with 13.4, he loses frame pacing and all benefit of having two 7970s because half of the frames rendered are runt frames displayed too briefly to be seen. (so he would be better off using one card)

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    Not much choice there Poci.

If it doesn't have the flashing with 13.4, he loses frame pacing and all benefit of having two 7970s because half of the frames rendered are runt frames displayed too briefly to be seen. (so he would be better off using one card)
    Yes I know that.....
    But when troubleshooting you have to resort to that. Maybe you don't have much experience troubleshooting?

In any case OP the WHQL drivers are just a long shot, the artifacts will most likely happen with those as well. Something is wrong with one of your cards most likely

Yes I know that.....
    But when troubleshooting you have to resort to that. Maybe you don't have much experience troubleshooting?

In any case OP the WHQL drivers are just a long shot, the artifacts will most likely happen with those as well. Something is wrong with one of your cards most likely
    You should never be allowed to work on a computer.

There is nowhere NEAR enough information given to make that absurd claim.

Did he say he has these problems in other games? No.

If he had, he would still need to check each card on it's own in the primary slot. Then he'd have to check each card on a different system before he could say one of the cards is bad.

OP: I'd do a removal/clean install of the 13.8 drivers if the only problem is with BF3. If that doesn't work I'd google BF3 problems and Crossfire.

I used to have 7970 CFx like you, I found it pretty sketchy compared to the 680 SLi I had in my other box as far as artifacting and general strange behavior goes. I don't think AMD's driver dept is up to snuff on multi GPU, but if you look around the net, a lot of people have CFx and had a lot of good suggestions for work arounds they had found on specific games using things like Radeon Pro and different settings.

Good luck with it.

At bare minimum try removing/reinstalling the 13.8 beta 2's. I've had good success with them in BF3 so far.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I wonder about power as to me 650w seems low for two high end 200W plus card like the 7970s:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,7.html

Radeon HD 7970 Crossfire - On your average system the cards require you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit as minimum.
    I bet BF3 works the system pretty hard, and that psu is very marginal. I'd get a corsair 850 or something like that and try it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139022

I wonder if with frame pacing and actually having to render each frame equally if it takes more power. A good test for the PC Per review team!

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    You should never be allowed to work on a computer.
    No Ive only worked on hundreds while you were babysitting NVidia forums giving bad advice to children on why not to overclock.
    I reported this post as well since I consider that an insult.
    In the end you have convinced me that you lack the knowledge to troubleshoot any kind of hardware and uhh...... never mind Im not gonna say it, I don't want another infraction.

Your just mad cause I proved you wrong first with the reality check link and then when you claimed games are not multithreaded.

I prove you wrong again and again and you resort to regurgitate the same benchmarks over and over and over which are tiresome by now and everyone already knows that.

In fact im surprised you were even able to achieve 2 bachelors. The only IT knowledge is software company you claim to have worked for, and even if that is true, you know what they say, never let a software guy touch the inside of your computer

No Ive only worked on hundreds while you were babysitting NVidia forums giving bad advice to children on why not to overclock.
    In the end you have convinced me that you lack the knowledge to troubleshoot any kind of hardware and uhh...... never mind Im not gonna say it, I don't want another infraction.

Your just mad cause I proved you wrong first with the reality check link and then when you claimed games are not multithreaded.

I prove you wrong again and again and you resort to regurgitate the same benchmarks over and over and over which are tiresome by now and everyone already knows that.

In fact im surprised you were even able to achieve 2 bachelors. The only IT knowledge is software company you claim to have worked for, and even if that is true, you know what they say, never let a software guy touch the inside of your computer
    What does any of this mess have to do with this guy's problem?

All OT.

It's pretty funny how bad your advice here was though. "One game working wrong? You probably have a bad video card!".

I think my cat could have doled that out.

OP, let us know what it was, maybe your answer will help others when they Google the problem.

I've been reading some of your posts and you need to get off most of these forums man, let the sane IT guys here help the users with their problems. You're not helping at all!
    This is you ->
    Here is where you should go -> http://www.techoftomorrow.com/2013/p...s-say-project/

@ OP - Go with what "jethro" said, I would do that first.
    Last edited by klapcos; 09-04-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Intel Core i5 2500K @5.3Ghz - 1.485v - Water cooled
    GTX680 SLI @1.306Mhz Core/7150Mhz Mem
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Asus p8z68-v pro
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 250GB, 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    OCZ Z Series 850W GOLD

This is the OP. Thank you everyone for your valuable ideas and support. This problem has been solved by turning off Skype, after attempting every possible measure. Hope others can see this and avoid the same annoying problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thisishowtowin View Post
    This is the OP. Thank you everyone for your valuable ideas and support. This problem has been solved by turning off Skype, after attempting every possible measure. Hope others can see this and avoid the same annoying problem.
    Nice one! Who would have thought it was SKYPE, good thing me, family and friends don't use that anymore and switched over to Razer Comms.

Thanks for letting us know of this and is valuable information for others that may have this same issue.
    Intel Core i5 2500K @5.3Ghz - 1.485v - Water cooled
    GTX680 SLI @1.306Mhz Core/7150Mhz Mem
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X 2x4GB @2133Mhz 9-9-9-24
    Asus p8z68-v pro
    Samsung SSD 840 Pro 250GB, 2x 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    OCZ Z Series 850W GOLD

I would still be looking at that PSU. Insufficient IMHO.